Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Abu Record spool issue

Message Subject: Abu Record spool issue
Arno
Posted 4/2/2009 6:27 PM (#369838)
Subject: Abu Record spool issue

I'm having problems with the my Record 60HC's. When I reel it and make a sudden stop, the spool will keep moving and make all kinds of noise. If I have it off my rod and nothing attached to the line and reel it real fast then make a sudden stop in really makes alot of noise. Kind of like when you have the strike indicator noise on.

I was having this problem with one of my Record 60's, so I sent 2 of them to a Rod and Reel Repair shop in Madison Wi. I would have thought that they would have noticed this noise. And here's the strangest thing I sent one reel in that makes this noise and sent another Record in just to have it looked at and gone through. Now it too makes this noise. This repair shop is supposed to specailize in ABU's also. He told me that a bearing was bad and that would cause the noise. I don't get it.

If anyone can help out that would be great.
Thanks
stdevos
Posted 4/2/2009 6:34 PM (#369841 - in reply to #369838)
Subject: Re: Another ABU problem.

Are there any performance issues with the reel? I've never used a Record before but every other Abu I have used makes the noise you are describing and it does not affect performance in any way, there is nothing to fix. Maina's, Tica's and Penn's also make this noise.

Just a guess, but I would assume the noise is caused by the pinion gear and the spool.

Edited by stdevos 4/2/2009 6:38 PM
Arno
Posted 4/2/2009 7:15 PM (#369849 - in reply to #369841)

stdevos,
I hope you are right. I'm going to put them my rods and see what happens. It's just wierd that one of them didn't do it before and now does. My 7000's don't make the noise and neither does my Cardiff Shimano.
Thanks.
stdevos
Posted 4/2/2009 7:38 PM (#369852 - in reply to #369838)

The shimano, daiwa, and Abu 7000 that I have don't make that noise either, everything else does. I wouldn't worry about it.
reelman
Posted 4/2/2009 9:34 PM (#369885 - in reply to #369838)
Subject: Re: Abu Record spool issue

YOu are not having a problem wit hyour reel, it is performing exactly like it's supposed to. This is a system so that undue force is not placed on the pinion gear/spool connection. You will never notice it or have it happen when you put line on it and actually use it fishing. The time most people notice it is about this time of the year when your get bored and pull out your reels and play with them.

If it really bothers you you can bend the metal "arms" on the position holder down a bit so it puts more preasure on the pinion yoke but there is really no reason to do so.
muskie! nut
Posted 4/2/2009 9:39 PM (#369886 - in reply to #369838)

Amo you sent your reel to a rod and reel place in Madison??? That's your 1st mistake. Send them back to Abu Garcia in Spirit Lake. They will do it right and under warranty. Make sure you detail all the problems you have.

Here the link for service. http://www.abugarcia.com/service.php
Arno
Posted 4/3/2009 7:01 AM (#369922 - in reply to #369838)
Subject: Re: Abu Record spool issue

Thanks for all your advice. My lake is now open and I'm going to go throw some baits off the dock and see what happens. Also I'm not trying to give "THE" repair shop in Madison a bad wrap. No names please. He seemed to know what he was talking about when I called to see what he had to say. He said a bearing went out and they had to be sent into Abu, then back to him.
Please no bad publicity here. I'm not trying to do that. Just want 2 $150.00 reels to work after sending them in for repair.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)