Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Depth Finder Losing Power when Starting Engine

Reply New post
Message Subject: Depth Finder Losing Power when Starting Engine
jbmuskie
Posted 10/20/2008 8:42 PM (#341607)
Subject: Depth Finder Losing Power when Starting Engine

Occasionally, I lose power on my Lowrance 332C when I start my motor (150). It always takes about exactly one minute for me to be able to power up my depth finder again. If I press the power button before 60 secs. nothing happens, but it always comes on once I press the button after a minute.
History....I never had this problem until I had a 12V "cigarette type" outlet put on. When they put it on they drew power from the wire that was bringing power to my depth finder and this problem started occurring. So, I rewired it (the outlet) to a different wire that is only "hot" when I turn the key to the accessory position. Twelve months went by with no problem, but now the problem has returned.
I once thought it may be that the plastic nut (for power wire)on the back of the finder was not all the way tightened, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also thought that maybe my battery is starting to lose some of it's power...it is a couple of years old.
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this or may have some suggestions.
I also thought of possibly rewiring the depth finder to my 24V trolling motor batteries...any thoughts on that?
Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can provide.
Jason Boersma
sworrall
Posted 10/20/2008 8:54 PM (#341611 - in reply to #341607)
Subject: Re: Depth Finder Losing Power when Starting Engine

Don't wire to a trolling motor battery. It sounds like your start battery isn't quite up to snuff.
Cowboyhannah
Posted 10/20/2008 9:11 PM (#341612 - in reply to #341607)

I had the same problem this weekend when I let my livewell run on intermitent setting overnight and did not have the boat plugged in. The starter was having a bit of a time turning the motor over as well. Once I plugged in the charger for a few hours, everything was back to normal---may be time for a new starter battery.
Hodag Hunter
Posted 10/20/2008 9:17 PM (#341615 - in reply to #341611)

I agree with Steve.....I have the same problem when the starter battery gets low. Doesn't take long with fishing most of the day and not starting the big motor while running the locator, lights, radio, live well etc.......

When one does turn the key for the motor, most times there is a voltage drop and the locator shuts down. Still enough juice for starting but the locator doen't like the drop.
pikeman1
Posted 10/20/2008 9:22 PM (#341617 - in reply to #341615)

And if you get a new battery get the biggest one you can stuff in there. Make sure your power wire goes directly to the battery and not off your fuse block.
archerynut36
Posted 10/22/2008 4:31 PM (#341953 - in reply to #341607)

first of all i agree with steve also.. what kind of motor are you running. i know the optimax's need a battery that has over 1000 cca to start her up and yes if your stuff is turning off then there isnt enough in your battery go to a new big battery and you will see a difference.....bill
jbmuskie
Posted 10/22/2008 5:46 PM (#341969 - in reply to #341607)
Subject: RE: Depth Finder Losing Power when Starting Engine

Thanks for all of the replies.
Bill,
It's a 2006 Suzuki 150.

Any recommendations for a good starting battery over 1000CCA's?
I have plenty of room to get a big battery in the compartment.
I saw one (Marine- Group 31 - 1150CCA) at sears.com for 250-
Is there a better value out there? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Jason
Slime King
Posted 10/23/2008 6:02 AM (#342033 - in reply to #341607)

You might want to take a look at the 30 series Cabelas AGM . It has 1525 CA, 1205 CCA ,205 Reserve Cap for 219.99$
Top H2O
Posted 10/23/2008 6:16 PM (#342164 - in reply to #342033)

I have had the same problem after not using the big motor for a few hrs.

My 332 goes off when the battery drains down to about 11.5 volts while starting, but I restart the 332 within 10 seconds and everything is fine..... this has only happened 10 times in the last 2 yrs.

Good luck, Jerome
Shep
Posted 10/24/2008 8:19 AM (#342216 - in reply to #342164)

Are you charging the battery between uses? I have a Group 27 Trojan for a starting battery on my boat. I start a 200 HP Opti, run a X-111 and a LMS-334, livewell, and I don't have any problems. I have on board chargers for all my batteries, and never have a problem.

Edited by Shep 10/24/2008 8:21 AM
JRedig
Posted 10/24/2008 9:40 AM (#342228 - in reply to #341607)

I've had this happen when the wire is loose on the battery terminal. Occasionally the wing nut backs it self off a little for whatever reason.
waterwolf
Posted 1/7/2009 11:58 PM (#353756 - in reply to #341607)

My GPS used to power off when running faster in rough water, turned out just to be a loose fuse connection. If you have an in-line fuse on your power wire, may want to check to make sure the fuse is locked in there tight.
Hunter4
Posted 1/8/2009 9:15 AM (#353788 - in reply to #353756)

Hi,

Check the connection to the unit itself. If you've already checked the battery connection.
Shep
Posted 1/8/2009 2:05 PM (#353852 - in reply to #353788)

First of all, specs for the Opti, and some other motors call for 1000 MCA, or about 800 CCA. Marine Cranking Amps, vs Cold Cranking Amps is different. MCA is at 32 degrees, and CCA is at 0 degrees.

I think that your battery is probably on it's way out. Do you keep it charged with an onboard, or just let the outboard charge it when running? I f you have the onboard, are you charging after every use? Are your cells full? How old is the battery?

I bought a Trogan Group 27 cranking battery last year. Last all day running the electronics and the livewell, and never once did my sonars shutdown during cranking of the big motor. The previous battery would run down during the day, and it was a 1000 MCA, and only a year old. Group 24 though. I replaced it, and haven't had a problem since.

Another thing I do is use dielectric grease on all my connectors to the Sonars, GPS units, Trolling motors, Radios, tec. This keeps them clean, keeps the moisture out, and prevents corrosion, all of which can result in poor performance. You can get the dielectric grease at any Auot Parts store.
Allstate48
Posted 1/9/2009 9:03 AM (#354008 - in reply to #341607)

On all of the post, about starting batteries, everyone says to charge it. Isn't it charged when the motor runs? Thanks Doug
Shep
Posted 1/9/2009 9:22 AM (#354017 - in reply to #354008)

Sure, it takes some charge when the main motor is running. But in lots of fishing, wheteher casting for muskies, or trolling harnesses for walleyes, the time the big motor is running can be just short bursts to get from spot to spot. And even though the alternator may be able to put out 70 amps or more, and battery can only charge at 10 -20 amps or so max. It's a function of how the battery is built inside.

Even when I have a lot of run time on my big motor, it is never fully charged when I get home and plug it in. It's always taken at least several hours on the 6 amp charger to top it off. And that's a good thing. Batterys like to be fully charged.

If you don't have an on board for your starting battery, I highly recommend you get one. a 5 amp charger will be enough. Guest, Minn Kota, and Pro Mariner all make decent chargers. They are small, and easily mounted near/in the battery compartment.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)