Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> removing middle seat?

Reply New post
Message Subject: removing middle seat?
karol
Posted 2/3/2009 8:16 PM (#358902)
Subject: removing middle seat?

i have a 14' sea nymph and was wondering about removing the middle seat to alow for more standing area to cast and control the boat better. any sites to look at to find out more? thanks again..karol
Bruce
Posted 2/3/2009 8:53 PM (#358907 - in reply to #358902)
Subject: RE: removing middle seat?

If it is a full bench seat that has been riveted to the floor and sides, with sides that go to the floor, dont change it. It will affect the structural integrity of the boat. Awhile back a gentleman wrote in how cracks had developed on the sides, because he had removed a bench seat. It was put there for a reason.
Posted 2/3/2009 9:02 PM (#358909 - in reply to #358902)

put a piece of marine grade ply wood from the nose, over the first seat, and end it at the back of the second seat.

Put some decent posts or studs under it for support and you'll be stylin
rob.s
Posted 2/3/2009 10:09 PM (#358926 - in reply to #358902)

Hope this help's..Casting deck on my 14'er

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(IMG_0001.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG.jpg (65KB - 102 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0001.jpg (68KB - 121 downloads)
4amuskie
Posted 2/4/2009 1:01 PM (#358987 - in reply to #358926)

Great job on that
ToddM
Posted 2/4/2009 8:47 PM (#359068 - in reply to #358902)

Karol that is a 14' boat? I think you should leave the bench in unless you put a floor in it but I would not put a floor on top between the seats.
RyanJoz
Posted 2/4/2009 9:12 PM (#359076 - in reply to #359068)
Subject: Re: removing middle seat?

When I go home in two seeks I will take a picture of what I did last year for the same type of situation. DO NOT let me forget
karol
Posted 2/5/2009 4:16 PM (#359193 - in reply to #359076)

i know that with a shallow boat like mine going up would just be inviting trouble.
guess i'll have to wait till the boat fairy leaves me a better-bigger- boat
RyanJoz
Posted 2/5/2009 5:07 PM (#359194 - in reply to #359193)

I made my own front deck that fits under the very front seat and is not as high as the 2nd one. if you place a deck too high in a light boat, you raise the center of gravity too high. the boat then becomes very unstable and thus why I made my own that was not quite as high.
Muskie Bob
Posted 2/5/2009 10:28 PM (#359270 - in reply to #358902)

Like Bruce said, if the seat is riveted to floor, don't try it.

If your boat is a Lowe, don't try it.....I'm from Missouri.....Oh, I just think some of the Lowe fishing boats may be a little light for modifying.

If you are not planning on installing a floor between the seats, I would not remove the middle seat if your boat is rated for less than 30 hp. The aluminum may be too light and flexible to support your idea.

If the middle seat has foam under it, you have to ask what you are going to do with it. It's there for a purpose.

If you put in a floor between the remaining seats, you can cut up the foam and place under the floor.

You can pop rivet L braces for installing the floor using marine plywood, then carpet.

Of course, if the sides seem too flexible, you may want to re-attach the side supports some way to the new floor.

As to your basic question about sites, it is hard to find any....

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,265,00.html/

Looks like your simple question to remove the middle seat turned out to be more than what you thought would be a simple answer.

Good luck...

http://forums.iboats.com/Aluminum-Boats/
Bruce
Posted 2/6/2009 8:27 PM (#359404 - in reply to #358902)

....and I hesitated commenting on the upper deck though I thought it would be too top heavy in a small boat. I left that for others to state. I did an upper deck like the photo showed but I have a 16' Naden and that front seat is 75" wide. A wider more stable platform. Still, if you're not used to it, it seems small up there when sitting on that seat, casting. Reminds me of the latest Bill Dance shots on his shows, more fisherman up there than carpet!
mseybert
Posted 2/8/2009 7:04 AM (#359573 - in reply to #358902)

A buddy of mine put a high deck in a smaller aluminum boat. I was in that boat with him when it capsized. The water was rough, but nothing crazy. Too high of a center of gravity, and too much weight with the decks, 2 fisherman, tackle, trolling motor, batteries, etc!
Halfpint
Posted 2/9/2009 9:29 AM (#359731 - in reply to #358902)

Are you trying to jinx me Mike??? LOL!!!

I think my little boat is more stable with the decks on it. Hopefully at least.
Biddler2
Posted 2/9/2009 10:16 AM (#359744 - in reply to #358902)

Your fine Halfpint, unless my boat comes by to see how the fishing is. But the good news is I will be there to provide a water rescue and then tow the capsized boat back to shore. As far as helping get the boat back on the trailer your on your own. I witnessed Mseybert's adventure.
Halfpint
Posted 2/9/2009 10:47 AM (#359746 - in reply to #358902)

Ha! Thanks man! I appreciate it!
mseybert
Posted 2/9/2009 5:45 PM (#359826 - in reply to #358902)

Biddler may have done more than witness the adventure. Some might say he contributedto the ordeal. Wasn't my boat, and didn't loose any of my gear (just one of my wifes crappie rods) so no hard feelings though

It was one of those things I wish there was video of, there were some good laughs, considering the situation.
Bruce
Posted 2/9/2009 9:02 PM (#359856 - in reply to #358902)

I have the deep cycle battery up on that deck too. I really like to play with the boat, adding things every year. But I really need to put that battery below the front deck. That will quell any fears after reading the past few posts. Just how narrow was the boat that capsized???
Biddler2
Posted 2/10/2009 12:11 PM (#359944 - in reply to #358902)

It was a small 14 foot boat with a huge guy in the back and MSeybert in the front. Water was coming in the back over the transom, The boat rolled over from the high CG. I'm not sure what part I may have had in the capsizing? The hot laps I did around the boat was before it tipped. Then the guy tried to put it on the wrong trailer at the boat ramp, the trailer he was attempting to load onto was for a large ski boat. Luckily everybody was o.k.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)