Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> pouring an melting lead

Message Subject: pouring an melting lead
lehighmuskies
Posted 12/31/2008 2:11 PM (#352336)
Subject: pouring an melting lead

Hi guys,

I haqve been painting lures for around a year now.and I would like to start making my own lures.my question is where an what do you use to melt lead to eventually pour into a blank lure? I have been looking at hobbie shops an so fourth but all I can find is the lead it self. I would like to find a unit the would plug into a wall socket. Any help would be appretiated

Tim j
Brad
Posted 12/31/2008 2:21 PM (#352340 - in reply to #352336)
Subject: Re: pouring an melting lead

Here's one place
http://www.staminainc.com/meltingpots.html

Brad
RIVER MUSKY
Posted 12/31/2008 2:58 PM (#352344 - in reply to #352336)

try barlows tackle shop
muskie! nut
Posted 12/31/2008 2:59 PM (#352346 - in reply to #352336)

Here another
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=00110...
muskie! nut
Posted 12/31/2008 3:02 PM (#352348 - in reply to #352336)

And yet another
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_1...
STUSHSKY
Posted 12/31/2008 3:02 PM (#352350 - in reply to #352346)

melt it outside on your gas grill in a very small pot. you don't want melted lead fumes in your home at anytime!

Edited by STUSHSKY 12/31/2008 3:07 PM
muskie24/7
Posted 12/31/2008 3:03 PM (#352351 - in reply to #352350)

Try Do It Molds, They got it all! www.doitmolds.com

Edited by muskie24/7 1/1/2009 5:43 PM
Yake Bait
Posted 1/1/2009 10:26 AM (#352472 - in reply to #352336)

I use a lead ladle bought from Stamina. Before that I used a table spoon that I bent into a trough shape and it worked pretty well (althogh my wife did not appreciate my using a good table spoon for making lures). My soldering torch does the trick nicely to melt the lead.

I generally use the large #2 water gremlin split shot for raw material. Using split shot is handy because it is easy to get reproducable results with regards to the quantity of lead.

For drilling the hole, a forstener bit on a drill press workes best. It can be difficult to make a precisely located hole otherwise. I made some lopsided floaters prior to getting a drill press. Location of the lead is pretty important to the action of the lure. I suggest practicing on an unfinished lure and testing before you put a lot of time and energy into the final product. Have all your hardware mounted when doing this to account for it's contribution to balance and bouyancy. I pre-coat my lures with 2T epoxy to prevent the blank from taking on too much water during this process. Also makes a great substrate for your paint job.

Lastly, keep good notes. Keep your template that you used to cut out a lure and keep track of location of lead holes, depth of lead holes, amount of lead added, lip slot location, hook hangars location, etc. When you make a good lure you want to be able to reproduce it without haveing to re-engineer your lure every time. For the most part, once you find the ideal location for adding lead, you can generally add to the same locatoin of a given lure design. The amount of lead will vary slightly with variations in wood density which can easily tweaked by drilling out a small amount during your final float testing.

Keep in mind that your lure will loose bouyancy when you add your final coating of epoxy. You need to account for that during float testing. My tendency is that I generally end up slightly heavier than anticipated.

Good luck!
lehighmuskies
Posted 1/1/2009 5:46 PM (#352522 - in reply to #352336)

thanks alot fellas.
Yake thankyou for that good info ill have to get the pot ordered an start up.Ill post the finish product.Ive caught a few fish on my painted patterns this year can wait to get one on a homade lure thanks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)