Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Another Thought on Current Stocking Practices.

Message Subject: Another Thought on Current Stocking Practices.
MRoberts
Posted 4/2/2009 10:53 PM (#369908 - in reply to #179014)
Subject: Re: Another Thought on Current Stocking Practices.

Thank you Kent, you are the first person in the actual field to even admit (at least to me) the theory "may" have some merit, let alone used a similar strategy and it actually worked.

Why not try it on a lake like LCO, what could it hurt? Especially if they took the eggs and milt from LCO fish to begin with.

Nail A Pig!

Mike
MRoberts
Posted 6/14/2010 10:17 AM (#445399 - in reply to #179014)

Anybody read the research article in the latest issue of Musky Hunter (June/July 2010). It focused on the success of the Missouri musky fishery, was written by a credentialed biologist and pointed out how “pulse” stocking has had a positive affect on fish numbers and angler interest in the “Show Me State”. “Pulse” stocking is EXACTLY what I was trying to point out in this thread when I started it back in 2006.

Kent has experience with it working out West, it obviously works in Missouri. There is a ton of anecdotal evidence that shows it works in Wisconsin, but I still take grief from friends who work in the field for even trying to bring it up and analyze just the numbers.

There are a bunch of musky clubs and lake associations willing and able to raise and spend money on musky stocking. All it would take is to give them a green light to help supplement WDNR efforts, and “Pulse” stocking could happen in Wisconsin on lakes that need it the most.

By the way how many 50 inchers were caught from the Madison Area lakes last year? Read this entire thread and you will see it was predicted in '06-'07, by looking at "Pulse" stocked years. Or maybe that's just a coincidence. How many conincidences make a pattern?

Nail A Pig!

Mike
esoxaddict
Posted 6/15/2010 4:04 PM (#445719 - in reply to #179014)

Mike, I am no biologist, but...

If you think about it, the "best" fisheries are those where natural reproduction occurs, and successfully enough where no supplemental stocking is required. In those ecosystems, there is great variation in the success of spawning for all species from year to year. As a result, you get stong and weak year classes, just like what you refer to.

If you think about it, it makes perfect sense that trying to mimic that would lead to a stronger fishery.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)