Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Silver Carp

Message Subject: Silver Carp
lots of luck
Posted 12/4/2008 7:11 PM (#348126 - in reply to #347946)
Subject: Re: Silver Carp

JRedig - 12/3/2008 10:47 PM

The muskies outa just LOVE eating these things! Which bait company will make a bait to mimic the jumpers first??

My money is on Taklebooty.
muskie-addict
Posted 12/5/2008 8:23 AM (#348192 - in reply to #348116)

"My question is....what "market" were they found at? Who sells those things?
-----
Mike Bolinski
Roz-Tail Pro Staff"

In regards to this question, nobody sells them. But its probably open season on the bastards, now. I'd guess what happened was the fishermen are either from Pepin, where I believe the market is, or the Pepin fish market people bought a truckload of fish from the fisherdudes down in LAX. When the fishermen sort the fish in the nets, they toss out all the known species that they cannot sell, i.e., walleyes, pike, sturgeon, whatever, etc. Everything else goes to town on a truck. When the truck got to town, the market people got to sortin' fish and went, "whoooaa, WTF is that?"

Those weirdo silver carp I'm sure look somewhat like a buffalo, highfin carpsuckers or whatever other rough fish have similar body types that fish market people commonly sell. Untill someone got a good look at it, probably just thought, well, it ain't a walleye, its going to town with us.

This is my guess anyway, as a person who knows just enough about commercial fishing in the Missi to be able to stick his own foot in his mouth.

-Eric
muskydope
Posted 12/7/2008 12:12 AM (#348496 - in reply to #347877)
Subject: RE: Silver Carp

As far as human consumption goes, I'm not sure that these critters are very high on the list. I have ties ( through a relative) to the Illinois DNR, and they say that these fish are a disaster in the making. As to erratication of these fish, in a lake you have a chance, by basically killing the lake and starting from scratch, restocking. For river systems, well, easier said than done. While small, young fish could act as forage for predators ( pike/muskies/bass/etc.) these fish grow fast and reproduce prolifically displacing native species. In simple terms, like I said earlier, they are a disaster to our waterways.
CASTING55
Posted 12/7/2008 4:39 AM (#348501 - in reply to #348496)

they do harvest them fish,I saw a show a while back and some guy was making a living catching them things and selling them.I can`t remember much about it,but my guess is that you can`t get rid of those fish,send an electric shock wave in the river that kills everything,then start restocking.
Beaver
Posted 12/7/2008 7:40 PM (#348648 - in reply to #348116)

The hell with the bows, I say grab your shotguns and have an open season on the useless pieces of crap. I would gladly ride shotgun and shoot until my barrel melts to get rid of them. Leave the entrails for the turtles.
mskygyd
Posted 12/7/2008 8:44 PM (#348663 - in reply to #347877)

Fill in the Chicago Shipping canal NOW!!!
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2008 9:38 PM (#348682 - in reply to #347877)

I have been told the fish are excellent canned. I unfortunately may just have to find out if that's true.
JRedig
Posted 12/7/2008 9:43 PM (#348683 - in reply to #348648)

Beaver - 12/7/2008 9:40 AM

The hell with the bows, I say grab your shotguns and have an open season on the useless pieces of crap. I would gladly ride shotgun and shoot until my barrel melts to get rid of them. Leave the entrails for the turtles.

Sign me up for that! Pheasants were fun today, but dang those fish would be crazy to shoot!
rob.s
Posted 12/7/2008 10:36 PM (#348693 - in reply to #348683)

JRedig - 12/7/2008 9:43 PM

Beaver - 12/7/2008 9:40 AM

Sign me up for that! Pheasants were fun today, but dang those fish would be crazy to shoot!

Aerial Bowfishing video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VrO6rDRfdY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmzxyexiB1s&feature=related
jay lip ripper
Posted 12/7/2008 11:02 PM (#348694 - in reply to #347910)

esox50 - 12/3/2008 6:46 PM

muskyhunter24 - 12/3/2008 6:35 PM
IMO the only way to stop this is to get it early and when I say early I mean don't let them spawn more then once, because once that has happened the only real way I can see stopping them is to kill the entire lake system and start over. Another solution but would take mass amounts of man power and man hours would be to shock the lake and keep doing it until you don't find anymore fish but with any lake bigger then a pond that would take forever.

How do you propose stopping them from spawning? They don't guard and lay eggs like bass do. They're broadcast spawners and with perhaps BILLIONS of males and females stopping them from spawning would impossible. They have established themselves. Period. Eradication at this stage (and in my opinion) is out of the question. Even if you mounted mini-guns to shocking boats and spent an entire year shooting as many carp on the IL and Miss. Rivers you'd still not get the job done. Once an invasive establishes itself it is next to impossible to get them out of a system. The goal should now be to CONTAIN them. Crack down on boats passing from a body of water with them in it and moving to another "clean" body of water. Study their behavior, life history, and general biology. You could spend a career "fighting" these fish. Tough job that's for sure.
please god help us!!! sean, is they a way to use a virus to just kill carp or something like that? poison food or something?
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)