Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Chippewa Flowage

Message Subject: Chippewa Flowage
Doonan
Posted 9/8/2008 10:45 AM (#335202)
Subject: Chippewa Flowage

Heading up to the flowage for the first time this coming weekend. Never fished in Wisconsin or a flowage for that matter. Just wondering how fishing a flowage differs from a natural lake. Also if there are any good tackle stores in the area...looking to pick up a 8 to 8 1/2 foot bucktail rod somewere along the way. Thanks for the help
BigMo
Posted 9/8/2008 11:12 AM (#335209 - in reply to #335202)
Subject: RE: Chippewa Flowage

Pastika's Sports Shop is a musky icon in the middle of Hayward, can't miss it.

It has been several years since I was last on the Chip but did fish it with a so-so guide a few times back then and a couple times on my own. Guide's name was Dorazio if I recall correctly. Anyone know him? The trips with Dave were in September.

Find Herman's Landing on a map and look E, NE, SE from there. Several of the famous bars are there and marked. They may be community spots, but they are still worth fishing hard. We fished the aformentioned bars each time and other spots on the west side. Bucktails, topwater and Cranes were thrown most of the time.

My points being..........first, I am not what I would call familiar with the Chip by any stretch of the imagination, but I would still feel comfortable that I was on decent spots/water for a weekend. Stick to the bars, stumps and weeds adjacent to channel areas.

Second, Dave is probably booked, Ty Sennett too if he is in the area..........but I would call one of them to see if they are available for a day (heck, 1/2 day). If not, you may catch them on an unusual day when they are friendly and they might share some tips.

Edited by BigMo 9/8/2008 11:15 AM
esox1750
Posted 9/8/2008 11:58 AM (#335218 - in reply to #335202)
Subject: Re: Chippewa Flowage

Fish structure whether it be weed, rock, stumps etc that are located near the channels....
JKahler
Posted 9/8/2008 12:06 PM (#335219 - in reply to #335202)

Main lake weed bars are hot right now. Green blades on bucktails. Call Tanner Wildes if you want a fun guide. I just fished the Chip with him 2 weeks ago and boated 2 fish.
Doonan
Posted 9/9/2008 9:55 AM (#335397 - in reply to #335219)

Thanks for help guys. That Pastikas looks like a quite the muskie shop. Another question for you guys who makes the best map of the lake?
muskymeyer
Posted 9/9/2008 10:58 AM (#335409 - in reply to #335397)

Lakemaster . . . . nothing else comes close for paper maps.

http://www.lakemap.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=287

Corey Meyer
Doonan
Posted 9/10/2008 10:25 AM (#335535 - in reply to #335202)

I have heard Ghosttails are the bait to use, but what style(double tens, spinnerbaits, Single Blades). Thanks for the help.
andracke
Posted 9/10/2008 11:08 AM (#335539 - in reply to #335202)

Good Luck this weekend....

Last weekend black body green blade bucktails were good at the Flowage Tournament. Most of the time I throw single blade bucktails. I would also recommend a Pacemaker by Ty Sennett. Go to Pastikas, or D and B, or Jenks to get a pacemaker.

The link below shows the results of the tournament. With info on baits and spots.
http://www.chippewaflowage.com/gallery/mh2008

Lets us know how you did?
DJH
Posted 9/10/2008 11:39 AM (#335545 - in reply to #335539)

I would also recommend the Rabid Squirrel tails made by Hayward guide Tanner Wildes. They are heavy enough to cast easily into the wind but light enough to easily run over the weeds. I would pick up at least 3 (black/green, black/orange, perch/brass) and combine that with a Pacemaker if you have 2 in the boat. If you have 3 guys then have the other throw a Suick or a Big Game/Crane twitch bait.

Dan Hardy

Edited by DJH 9/10/2008 11:40 AM
muskymeyer
Posted 9/10/2008 2:16 PM (#335570 - in reply to #335545)

I would also suggest a rough runner/globe style bait along with a hawg wobbler style. As the fall progresses these two lure styles will out perform the other topwaters.

Corey Meyer
Doonan
Posted 9/15/2008 2:25 PM (#336264 - in reply to #335202)

Just got back from my trip to the flowage and had a great time. We ended up fishing friday and saturday. Friday started out pretty good with a cool foggy morning raised a couple fish and lost one shortly after hookup. Then the sun burned off the fog and presented us with some pretty tough conditions no clouds and no wind. Saturday morning was pretty much like friday morning, but by mid morning the rain started to come down and rained on and off for the rest of the day. I ended up catching a chunky 40 incher around 4:00 right at boatside. We fished the east side of the lake. Weed flats in 8 feet of water were the most productive with sand flats coming in second. Black and Green bucktails pulled over the tops of the weeds were the presentation of choice followed by pacemakers and spinnerbaits.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Chip Muskie 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chip Muskie 2.jpg (50KB - 104 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)