Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Big Sand Lake/Long Lake in Vilas County-Questions

Message Subject: Big Sand Lake/Long Lake in Vilas County-Questions
dward
Posted 9/15/2008 8:56 AM (#336201)
Subject: Big Sand Lake/Long Lake in Vilas County-Questions

My mother is considering purchasing a cabin on long lake which has access to Big Sand. I'm aware of a milfoil problem on Big Sand, has it spread to Long. What are your thoughts on how the milfoil has affected fishing and overall recreation of the lakes?

What are your thoughts on the fisheries themselves- foremost Muskies, but also all species. I have fished many Vilas county lakes, but never been this far N/E in Vilas County. Looking for as much good feedback as I can get from those who have fished it.

Thanks in Advance for your comments.

Edited by dward 9/15/2008 9:12 AM
Mr Musky
Posted 9/15/2008 10:50 AM (#336228 - in reply to #336201)
Subject: Re: Big Sand Lake/Long Lake in Vilas County-Questions

Dward, check your PM
sworrall
Posted 9/16/2008 8:17 AM (#336358 - in reply to #336201)

PM Beav, he has fished that lake for years.
CiscoKid
Posted 9/16/2008 10:56 AM (#336386 - in reply to #336201)
Subject: RE: Big Sand Lake/Long Lake in Vilas County-Questions

Two completely different fisheries!

Both have milfoil, however the milfoil on Big Sand was treated this year. It is starting to come back a bit right now, but earlier in the year there was absolutely none to be found on B.Sand. Very weird fishing out there because of it. The coontail and cabbage came back very well this year with the milfoil down. Even with the milfoil though the Big Sand is very fishable, and there is plenty of recreation out there. I actually prefer it out there with the milfoil as it makes the fishing a tad easier by concentrating the fish. B. Sand has a lot of fish in it, as well as some big ones. As far as other species it is pretty decent for bluegills, crappies, walleyes, and bass (smallmouth and largemouth). There are some nice perch in there but you have to weed through a lot of small ones. Lots of pike in there as well. The lake overall is pretty easy to fish. Without the treatment this lake is one of the worst I have seen for the milfoil!

Long on the other hand is a low density water. Pretty dang tough to fish with the deep water, and there is oxygen down very deep. There is some milfoil in here as well, but not very bad at all. Weeds in general in this lake are pretty sparse compared to B.Sand, but there is some here and there. Long has some cisco, but the rainbow smelt are doing a number on them as well as the walleye fry. Even though we get some muskies out here on occasion, we never really do tie into any big ones. Not sure what the walleye population is like on here, but we seem to catch our fair share while musky fishing. There are some good smallmouth bass to be caught in here as well.

Let me know if you need any more help.
musky54114
Posted 9/22/2008 11:19 AM (#337204 - in reply to #336201)

I have fished Long Lake for many years. Not an easy lake
but it does have giant fish. Don't expect lots of fish, but if
you put in your time and don't mind not having a lot of
action most days it will pay off.

Bob
CASTING55
Posted 9/22/2008 2:50 PM (#337250 - in reply to #337204)

Just how did they treat the lake,is it like the madison chain where they have weed cutters,or chemicals.
sean61s
Posted 9/23/2008 10:22 AM (#337379 - in reply to #337250)

The north side of BS Lake was treated with chemicals in the spring of this year. Next year, the south shore will be treated. Because of low water levels in Long/Big Sand in 2007, the mil foil was at its very worst. In 2008, the water came up and was cold. The mil foil lost the battle to the native plants, and for the first time since I can remember (20 yrs), the mil foil never came up...even on the south shore which was not treated. Who knows what next year brings!

Long Lake is a beautiful lake with a very private feeling. They have a very active and concerned lake association there....good folks all around. The lake does have some mil foil which is also being treated, but given the lake's steep drops, most of the lake will never see mil foil. The biggest threat to Long is the population of smelt.
From an investment standpoint, Long Lake gets an A+. Over the last few years there have been some very substantial homes built on and around Long Lake.
ulbian
Posted 9/23/2008 12:18 PM (#337400 - in reply to #337379)

dward,

Sent you a PM.
Beaver
Posted 9/23/2008 1:22 PM (#337409 - in reply to #337400)

I can't resist. As Steve said, I am very close to Long Lake, because we had a summer home there from the time that I was in high-school, until my dad had a stroke in the 80's.
Long Lake used to be a beautiful lake, because I remember it when the entire south shore was vacant. I don't consider multi-million dollar mansions with golf carts parked outside of them to be beautification.
I remember when the walleye fishing was good. Never outstanding, but good. Huge fish were in that lake. My PB walleye of over 33" came out of there with 28-30" fish caught every year.
The DNR has been playing with Long Lake for as long as I remember too. They stocked it with thousands of brown trout and rainbow trout every year. They hoped to make it a trout fishery, and still do. With water depths of over 100', they figured it would be a natural for trout. The mysterious appearance of rainbow smelt is still a puzzle, but after talking with a DNR person he sort of leaked that there were plans to make it a Lake Trout lake. I talked about my concerns about the walleye fishery, and he said that the walleye fishery had been going downhill since spearing began, and now since the smelt miraculously appeared and are eating the eggs and fry, natural reproduction is a thing of the past. It never held a very big population of walleyes, but it got hit every year anyway. Then he told me that I could catch walleyes almost anywhere in WI, but where could I go to catch a Lake Trout? Let's see......Lake Trout feed on smelt, don't they? A lake that is steep and deep with trout in it....but you still can't troll!
I have been back there every year, and last year saw that milfoil was pretty abundant. Not a bad thing for a lake that steep, because it would never get choked. I think milfoil would improve the fishery in fact, but it would ruin the swimming and choke up the jet skis.
I have seen and done battle with lure-breaking muskies in that lake that are as big as my leg, and have caught many nice ones. It's not a numbers lake. If you get one or two fish up a day you are doing good. But there is always a chance for a slob.
As far as I am concerned, Long Lake may appear beautiful to you if you like to look at big houses. But I remember the days when the fishing was good and the lake was quiet.
What I remember most is the last trip that I took there with my dad before he died. We drifted some spots with leeches and caught some smallies and a walleye. He cried and told me, "I never thought that I would ever catch another fish again in my life." Then he looked around the lake and shook his head and told me, "Now take me home before I puke. I can't stand to see what they've done to this lake."
One of the last gems of the north where you could get away from jet skis and power boats, and now it's gone. I don't care about the milfoil. The charachter of the lake died a long time ago.

Edited by Beaver 9/23/2008 2:07 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(A Fisherman.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments A Fisherman.JPG (158KB - 189 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)