Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It was a case of drive-by finning!
- (Added by: jakejusa)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> belly weight

Message Subject: belly weight
tim
Posted 9/8/2008 10:12 AM (#335193)
Subject: belly weight

Just wondering about belly weights and postions most of my 8 inch musky baits will lean to the right or left (top) when placed in a tub of water. All my store bought ones are straight up and down.
muskyseeker
Posted 9/8/2008 11:09 AM (#335208 - in reply to #335193)
Subject: Re: belly weight

thanks I haven't used any wieghts up to this point but it sounds like i'll have to if I want my lures to run straight and float properly. Any sugestion on lead....melted tire weights if so how? or store bought weights? More to front of lure (nose) !
thanks
tim
muskyseeker
jerkin
Posted 9/8/2008 9:30 PM (#335331 - in reply to #335193)
Subject: Re: belly weight

Though I'm no expert, here is how I weight my lures. Most of my stuff is made from 3/4" stock. I figure roughly where the weight needs to go by putting a rubber band through an egg sinker or 2 and fastening them to the body then floating them in a bucket and moving the sinkers where they need to be and marking the positions. Next I use a 3/8" forstner bit to drill two holes where the weights will go, normally I like 2 weights so that I can add or remove lead to get them to float level from front to back. Now I dip them in sealer again to seal everything off so I can water test without the wood soaking in water.

I make my own weights by pouring lead(wheel weights will work) into a mold I made. I ripped a 2x4 in half on its end, clamped it back together and drilled a bunch of 11/32" holes down through it. Now I have a bunch of weights just slightly smaller than my 3/8" hole and around 3" long. I cut off what I need with side cutters and epoxy them into the holes. I always slightly over weight them so I can remove small amounts of lead with a drill to get them perfect. Here is where you can correct the leaning to one side. If your plug leans when you put it in the tank just drill lead out of the heavy side instead of the center. Fill in the holes with epoxy or plumbers putty and you're done.

You can do this with one larger weight also if the bait doesn't work right with 2 smaller weights but you need to be a little more precise about where you drill the hole so it floats level from front to back. I'm sure there are many other ways of weighting but this is just how I do it, hope it helps.

Edited by jerkin 9/8/2008 9:31 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)