Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> loomis mossyback line?

Message Subject: loomis mossyback line?
patrick reif
Posted 7/20/2008 11:09 AM (#327321)
Subject: loomis mossyback line?

i know this is a muskie site, but most here are probably multi species anglers.

i'm looking at a loomis bcr852 mossyback casting rod on e-bay. tubes and j-n-p with 1/8-3/16oz jigs will be the predominant technique this rod will be used for, and i'll be throwing it for smallies.

the rod is 7'1" medium power with an extra fast action. i like longer rods in that power/action rating for tubes and lighter jigs, but i'm not able to touch the rod before buying and i was needing to know if any of you guys have experience with the mossyback line, and hopefully this particular blank. if so, what do you think of the lineup?

the rod is about $45-50 cheaper than the msrp, and i'll be getting free shipping. total cost is $176

thanks

patrick

Edited by patrick reif 7/20/2008 11:12 AM
sworrall
Posted 7/20/2008 11:41 AM (#327323 - in reply to #327321)
Subject: Re: loomis mossyback line?

Excellent rod. great blank, and should be great for the application you describe. A bit expensive, but a deal off of retail none the less.
Whoolligan
Posted 7/20/2008 2:33 PM (#327344 - in reply to #327321)

Second what Steve said. It's a superb rod in moving water as well. You have plenty of power in the butt to move larger fish without feeling like you are going to snap it. I have that very rod, and two in the Bronzeback series, and The Mossy is my favorite for casting light tubes. I toss a LOT of Bitsy Tubes with 1/16 heads and that rod does really well with them. I also use it for Buzzbaits and small Sammy type topwaters. It also fishes small crankbaits VERY well. From the DT4s and little fat raps up to about a DT10. It excels, as well as a twitch bait rod with small huskyjerks, and xraps.
The ONE drawback to the rod, is that it is almost a necessity to drop down to 10lb line with it, in order to maximize the action of the rod. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind if you're throwing it as a dual purpose rod.
patrick reif
Posted 7/20/2008 3:24 PM (#327351 - in reply to #327344)

i've just bought the rod now. thanks for the heads up.

i'll be using a daiwa tda 153hst casting reel with power pro hi vis yellow 20/6 braid. i fish the new river in s.w. virginia for smallies, and i need a new rod for tubes. i was using a st. croix avid 6'8" mxf, but moved that to be my spinnerbait rod because i really prefer a 7' rod for tubes.

then i bought a s.c avid 7' mhf for tubes. the mh was just too much for the light jigs i throw, so i've moved that to my swimbait rod(just got a st.croix 200 casting reel to match it up with).

i have one loomis for soft jerks, and have been very impressed with the whole package...except the price. they're very expensive, but i've never held a more sensitive, lighter rod with as much responsiveness and backbone. i'm hoping this rod will offer the same amount of quality.

thanks again. i've posted this question on 4 other sites and you guys are the first to reply.

patrick

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)