Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Planer board help

Message Subject: Planer board help
AFChief
Posted 3/20/2008 9:20 AM (#308503)
Subject: Planer board help

My wife bought me an OR-12 Off shore planer board (Yellow board with two releases) as a gift because I had mentioned I'd like to give planer board trolling a try. My goals is to improve my spread and to put a trolling spinnerbait up over the weeds. I gave it a try for the first time last weekend and had all sorts of trouble. I tried pulling a 5oz spinner bait about 12-15 feet back from the board so it would run shallow near the weed edges. The result I got was the front end of the board was out of the water and the board did not plain out to the side very well. Thinking the bait was too heavy, I tried to pull a Rapala Super Shad Rap at about the same distance back and had the same problem The bait pulled the back end of the board down lifting the front out of the water causing the board to plain poorly.
I fish out of a runabout with an I/O and my trolling speed is between 3.8 and 4.3 mph. Is my problem too much speed or is it possible I have the baits too close to the board. Maybe I don't have the right sized boards and the baits are too big. I have never used planer boards before so I am really looking for some solid help / advice. I appreciate any information shared. Thanks in advance.

Jerry
sorenson
Posted 3/20/2008 9:35 AM (#308505 - in reply to #308503)
Subject: RE: Planer board help

Did it look like this?
They do pull back a bit further w/ heavy and/or hard pulling baits, and it can be more difficult to get them away from the boat very far. In-lines have their limitations, but I find them more convenient for my style of fishing.
I've used them w/ baits as big as a Depth Raider successfully. Most of the time I use smaller stuff though. They work with bigger baits, but you'll have to get used to the fact that they will track further behind the boat.
J-13 Rapala behind a board...yep, it works
S.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(planer.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments planer.jpg (51KB - 130 downloads)
Willis
Posted 3/20/2008 9:41 AM (#308507 - in reply to #308505)

Nice photo...I could stare at it for hours.
AFChief
Posted 3/20/2008 9:59 AM (#308509 - in reply to #308505)

S.

Pretty close. Not having run these boards before I didn't know what to expect. I guess I'll have to play around with them some more to get the proper feel. Great photo btw.

Jerry

Edited by AFChief 3/20/2008 2:16 PM
muskymike68
Posted 3/20/2008 10:13 AM (#308513 - in reply to #308503)
Subject: Re: Planer board help

I modified my boards by drilling 2 holes about 1 " apart on the top of the board. I took a piece of ).051 wire and threaded it through the holes and stuck a 1-4 oz weight (depending on wave conditions) on the opposite end. Might be able to add more weight, but didn't had heavier ones with me at the time I came up with this hairbrain idea. It drive the nose back down with harder pulling baits.

I'll post a pic tonight when I get home.
tuffy1
Posted 3/20/2008 10:24 AM (#308517 - in reply to #308513)

Like Sorno mentioned, depending on the bait you are running behind the board, it will have more or less drag. A 5oz spinnerbait would definitely create more drag on the board. You can just let more line out to get it further from the boat.

I like Mikes idea to add weight to the front. I believe there are holes on the front of the Off Shore boards, so you could even just use a snap and clip some weight to the front of the board to help level it out in the water with harder pulling baits.

Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong though. Just a heavy hard pulling bait doing that to your board.
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2008 1:48 PM (#308549 - in reply to #308503)

Does anybody know the OR # for the offshore clip with the pin? I would not mind mating one to my church boards whick by the way run lower in the water and have an adjustable weight.
sorenson
Posted 3/20/2008 1:53 PM (#308550 - in reply to #308503)

Todd, I think they're 18s (otherwise referred to as the 'snapper' releases).
I've been running the red ones (16s?), but then again, I generally use mono on my boards.
S.
muskymike68
Posted 3/20/2008 7:43 PM (#308643 - in reply to #308550)

Here's what I use. I bend the tip of the wire down to change weights depending on how the board is running.

Hope this helps.
muskymike68
Posted 3/20/2008 7:47 PM (#308645 - in reply to #308550)

Here's what I use. I bend the tip of the wire down to change weights depending on how the board is running.

Hope this helps.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Planer Board.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Planer Board.JPG (10KB - 129 downloads)
Shep
Posted 3/20/2008 8:00 PM (#308647 - in reply to #308645)

I don't use boards to get a big spread, but just to create separation between baits. You don't get a lot of spread when pulling big baits, like you do when pulling small cranks for walleyes. I've found that you don't need to get the bait way away from the boat. In fact, I think just the opposite. Muskies are not boat shy, and I sometimes think the rucus caused by the boat attracts them to it. So, I tend to use only one board per side, along with boat rods and down rods.

So go ahead and set that board out there. You'll get a good feel for the optimum amount of line to let out. Just drive the boat closer to the weedline, of if submerged enough, right over the tops of those weeds. I think a spinner bait can have more drag than some big crank baits.

The OR-16 (Red) has the pin inside. They are what I use. Superlines will wear out the pads quicker than momo. I use mono exclusively on my board rods.
Bruce
Posted 3/20/2008 8:25 PM (#308655 - in reply to #308503)

I made a set of dual ski boards last spring. Used them in Lake Michigan for spring trout. They sat in the basement after that. Has anyone ever attempted to make smaller inline boards??
ToddM
Posted 3/20/2008 11:22 PM (#308709 - in reply to #308503)

Thanks for the info on the releases. I only use mono as well but i do have superline on my down rods. Theonly reason i do is they double as my sucker setups otherwise they would have mono too.
AFChief
Posted 3/21/2008 12:14 PM (#308796 - in reply to #308503)

Thanks all for the imputs. Great suggestions on how to weight the front. Glad to know I wasn't making any obvious mistakes. I can work with this now that i know what to expect.

Jerry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)