Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "If we had some Bacon we could have Bacon and Eggs if we only had some Eggs"......Pogo
- (Added by: muskyone)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Inline Spinners... Segmented or Not??

Message Subject: Inline Spinners... Segmented or Not??
CollegeMuskyHunter
Posted 2/1/2008 8:36 PM (#298329)
Subject: Inline Spinners... Segmented or Not??

When I've been looking across the board at bucktails, and big double #10's, I notice that many of them have one full wire, with a hook in the middle and end. Yet with Mepps Bucktails(Gaint Killer) it is segmented into two pieces. The front with a body weight and blade and the back with a weight and bucktail or marabou, I understand that these "segmented" lures have a less chance of the musky throwing the hook and if that is true why don't these larger spinners come in two pieces? I've made them segmented, but am wondering what regards and reasons all you have on the two ideas? What do you prefer? Thoughts.....
kreegz
Posted 2/1/2008 9:52 PM (#298345 - in reply to #298329)
Subject: Re: Inline Spinners... Segmented or Not??

i was wondering that too, i have a cowgirl one peice... and another big double 10 thats segmented... i haven't had a chance to throw either of them and tell a difference
esox50
Posted 2/1/2008 10:46 PM (#298354 - in reply to #298329)

For me: segmented lure = one more weak link. I build ALL my bucktails with .062 wire, from the small burner 6"ers to the double 10s. Tired of bucktails getting trashed after one or two fish (when they hang up in the net and the fish goes nuts). Same concept as thru-wire cranks/gliders/topwater... no weak links (in this case screw eyes or hook-hangers).
PredLuR
Posted 2/2/2008 2:32 PM (#298449 - in reply to #298329)

I only make segmented bucktails due to having too many bucktails bend after one fish, you want a weak link, some wire that needs to be re-bent after 1 or 2 fish is pretty weak in my opinion. I personally place a split ring (wolverine) in the middle of the bucktail and have had great success with hook ups and fish staying hooked. Bucktails last much longer and have never had one bend after a fish. This is the case with the smaller tails as well as the large #10's. The split ring helps the lure bend in the fishes mouth when its near the boat and starts changing directions.

A few years back, a buddy was throwing a single shafted marabou bucktail(i beleive a bootail) in Canada that had a single treble on the back, he had caught 2-3 small northerns over the course of the morning that of course, bent the heck out of the lure. After a while he noticed that the back hook was completly gone! Apparently the wire had just broken free on its own. He wasnt sure how long it had been that way. That was enough for me to start making my own.

I would image the .062 doesnt bend real easy so that might remedy alot of bending issues.
Tackle Industries
Posted 2/2/2008 4:20 PM (#298469 - in reply to #298329)

I like the one wire body myself. We use 062 wire though. I think 051 is more than enough wire strength. Never heard of a Cowgirl or XXX breaking. At the end of the day make sure your weakest link is 10x stronger than you need it to be and you won't have any problems.
Targa01
Posted 2/2/2008 9:30 PM (#298542 - in reply to #298329)

One problem I've had with some segmented lures such as Mepps is the tail generally has no weight in it so when you cast it folds back and can get hung up. This is only magnified if casting into a wind. I do like however when a tail gets trashed or you feel like mixing and matching you can do so easily with a segmented tail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)