Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> 60" shaft and stablizer

Reply New post
Message Subject: 60" shaft and stablizer
Matt Collins
Posted 1/29/2008 12:16 PM (#297235)
Subject: 60" shaft and stablizer

How many of you guys that run the long shaft trolling motors use a stablizer to stop the shaft from bouncing around? I'm running a terrova w/ 60" shaft and noticed it does get bounced arond alot in the rough stuff.
Posted 1/29/2008 12:35 PM (#297243 - in reply to #297235)
Subject: RE: 60" shaft and stablizer

get a ram mount and be done with bouncing around.
Shep
Posted 1/29/2008 1:48 PM (#297275 - in reply to #297243)

Yep, get the Ram.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/29/2008 1:56 PM (#297281 - in reply to #297275)

Ram It!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Tmotor.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tmotor.jpg (109KB - 94 downloads)
Shep
Posted 1/29/2008 2:05 PM (#297285 - in reply to #297281)

Hey cheapo, that's not a Terrova! What's up? Your wife cut off the boat funds?
bn
Posted 1/29/2008 2:48 PM (#297299 - in reply to #297235)

WI Wade...why did you put the rams on the floor..why not up on the fiberglass on the top cap? I have seen boats rigged that way and I don't see why?
why not raise them up on that other area where they are all that much closer to you?

nice ranger regardless!

I have the RAM mount but have yet to use it in big water...to me, it seems in the ram or out of the ram the jarring is about the same...it's almost a harder jarring when not in the ram...i've had zero problems doing it this way for 2 seasons.
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/29/2008 3:05 PM (#297303 - in reply to #297299)

Shep, you can use the Ram on a standard PD/AP as well, I have always had the Minnkota PD/AP and just couldn't spend the xtra on the Terrova...ya know one of those areas that I sacrificed on...And BTW, my wife will buy me anything I want LOL! Ahh the life of a trophy husband. Yeah Right! Some of you guys have the wrong impression.

bn, I like them rigged on the floor because when I travel(on the road), I just put them face down and tighten, I feel they are very secure that way. Also, I dont need to remove them or worry about the cover(when in use) interfering. I understand what you are saying but that is why I have 2 units, 1 for GPS and one for the sonar. I also have them networked so I can move my units around, so If I am jigging, etc I will move my 111 up front.

I couldn't see going through anything rough without the stabilizer bar...Also, it keeps it in place so you don't have to move the collar tight against the unit on a PD. If you hit a wave and it bounced out of the cradle and the collar wasn't all the way down...YIKES! Saw a boat that it happened to one time...not only was his TM basically in pieces, he also had a lot of fiberglass work to be done as well.

Take Care.
bn
Posted 1/29/2008 3:08 PM (#297305 - in reply to #297235)

I can see your point but to me, they are not high enough, and get in the way of the deckspace/feet area...I have 2 units on my console the same as you, one on gps, one on sonar on individual rams and like them up there, I just take them off when going on long trips and short trips from my place to the lake it doesn't hurt them to stay up there...
2 ways to doing it ..both work!
bn
Posted 1/29/2008 3:10 PM (#297306 - in reply to #297235)

ooops I meant 2 on my bow, like you...
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/29/2008 3:22 PM (#297312 - in reply to #297235)

bn, the other thing I forgot to mention is that I really hate that sound when drilling into fiberglass....hahaha
Take Care.
bn
Posted 1/29/2008 3:26 PM (#297315 - in reply to #297235)

that's why I had someone else do the rigging! I knew I'd F' it up!
Shep
Posted 1/29/2008 3:34 PM (#297318 - in reply to #297315)

I have my LMS mounted on the floor as well, off to the left side. I can see it just fine, 12 inches further away, plus it is protected during travel, and I don't like the mounting holes in the top of the cap.

As for the Terrova, I didn't have a Ram mount on mine for part of last year. I was in some pretty rough stuff on GB and Bago, and it never seemed to flex nearly as much as my PD/AP on had before.

Trophy Husband! hehehe You always make me laugh. That's why I keep you around, Wade!
Posted 1/29/2008 4:07 PM (#297329 - in reply to #297235)

I don't use a ram mount on my Terrova.

My trolling motor doesn't really flex or bouce without it so I don't put one on.

HULBERT
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/29/2008 6:13 PM (#297373 - in reply to #297235)

I ran my Terrova 60" all last year without and don't plan to put one on. They get jarred as hard with it o in my opinion, possibly less?? The little bit of shaft flex, in my opinion, could reduce some fo the negatives in the jarring. I'll edit this post when my auto pilot goes whacky as result..hehehe.

Regarding the ram on the floor or top cap, I chose neither. I actually took my Rams off the top cap, as I really didn't like my electronics up there at all for the reasons Wade suggested. They also got in the way up front for getting in and out, and were in the way for doing 8's etc. I actually put mine to the right of the little control panel on the verticla surface and it works great for the lcx 25. I can then loosen and do just as Wade does, in putting the face of the unit to the floor while travelling in rough stuff or on the road. Having it on that vertical surface allows me to have the unit almost as high as it was on the top cap, but out of my way. So... thre ways to rig.. I guess..
lambeau
Posted 1/29/2008 6:23 PM (#297377 - in reply to #297373)

i rigged mine the same way that Reef Hawg describes...see pic below.

mounted like that it's as high up as if on the bow cap so that little bit closer makes it easier to read/view. i also fold mine down flat on the front deck for travel.
one other advantage of mounting on the fiberglass cap instead of the floor is that it's easier to access underneath when mounting so you can make it more secure by using washers/lock nuts instead of screws.

it's not shown in the pic, but i added a RAM trolling motor stabilizer too. the TM head rode more solid once i added the stabilizer; don't know if it really makes a big difference or not, but it does give me some peace of mind.

(Tuffy 1890 Osprey 018.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tuffy 1890 Osprey 018.jpg (104KB - 99 downloads)
Wisconsin Wade
Posted 1/30/2008 7:04 AM (#297500 - in reply to #297235)

Maybe it is time for a new thread..Defend your Rigging LOL!
I also like the rigging to be clean looking. That is why I had the wires run through a clam shell from the flush mount area.
Also when the units are put in the upright and tilted position, they take up the smallest amount of floor space. I also think this is where one could get away with the smaller ram mount but the standard will give one more height, or you can order the longest arm if you need even more height. Did I mention that no fiberglass was drilled during this portion of the rigging. hahahaha.
Rigging threads on the boards are some of the best...one can look through the older threads to get several ideas before they fire up the drill and start attaching.

(bowrig1.jpg)

(bowrig2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bowrig1.jpg (122KB - 104 downloads)
Attachments bowrig2.jpg (108KB - 114 downloads)
Schuler
Posted 1/31/2008 12:12 AM (#297826 - in reply to #297235)
Subject: Re: 60" shaft and stablizer

Those stabilizers would be great insurance. I had my powerdrive 50 fall down at 25 MPH (luckily, i had a slow boat at the time). Luckily, The shaft had no damage, and I minn-kota quickly sent me some pictures to help me reassemble what fell apart on my trolling motor. Never bring your trolling motor into the mount covered in weeds and think it will stay. Then again, minn-kota (and now motorguide on some models) have a lifetime warranty on the shafts. They would not do this if they thought they'd break easily.
Shep
Posted 1/31/2008 8:03 AM (#297838 - in reply to #297826)
Subject: Re: 60" shaft and stablizer

Nice boat, Wade. You actually going to get it wet this year?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)