Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Drive it like you own it. Even if you don't have the rod holders paid for yet.
- (Added by: bridgeman)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Lexan vs Aluminium

Message Subject: Lexan vs Aluminium
seeking 54
Posted 1/21/2008 3:00 PM (#295352)
Subject: Lexan vs Aluminium

I'm thinking about adding some bills to some of my gliders. Altough, I've worked with both lexan and aluminium, can't seem to make up my mind.....

Your thoughts?

Thanks.
s54
Kingfisher
Posted 1/21/2008 5:21 PM (#295375 - in reply to #295352)
Subject: RE: Lexan vs Aluminium

Aluminum is heavier but thinner in the same strength. Titanium is better than either one but not cheap. Thin Stainless steel is the least expensive but have fun cutting it your self. I would start with Lexan(polycarbonate) lexan is a brand name not a type of plastic. There are many brands of poly carbonate which is essentially bullet broof glass. I use Poly carbonate and Titanium lips . I only use the Titanium on one model lure and that one is for Rock Bashing. Kingfisher
Kingfisher
Posted 1/21/2008 5:29 PM (#295377 - in reply to #295352)

A couple of other notes, Aluminum will peen over from contact with rocks and Lexan will chip and peen as well. In severe cold Lexan will even break when pounding rock structure. 90 % of Musky fishermen dont pound rocks. I have only a few clients that need that kind of strength. I bypass Aluminum and go right to the best with Titanium. I use a super hard Alloy (aircraft grade) that is as light as Aluminum and twice as tough maybe three times as tough as the hardest Aluminum made. The lip for a 12 inch Deepthreat made from this stuff is 20 bucks by itself. I just ordered 20 lips to build my 2008 rock Crushers. I would start with 1/8th poly and go from there. Kingfisher
CiscoKid
Posted 1/22/2008 12:00 PM (#295468 - in reply to #295352)

Something to consider that builds onto what Mike has mentioned. With the metal type lips you can get away with thinner lips than if you were to use Lexan or Polycarbonate. Choosing the material of the lip will affect the way your lure runs. A thinner lip will provide more wobble with less drag at slower retrieve speed, as well as get the bait deeper. Thicker lips usually don't dive as deep, and usually require a faster retrieve speed for a nice wobble.

rocko
Posted 1/22/2008 10:38 PM (#295686 - in reply to #295352)
Subject: Re: Lexan vs Aluminium

Don't be afraid to use brass. It's easy to find in the hardware store, easy to cut and holds up pretty well if the lip isn't too long. The heavier blade always points straight down when it hits the water and gets the crank diving right away.

Rocko
Water Goat
Posted 1/23/2008 10:09 PM (#295930 - in reply to #295352)
Subject: Re: Lexan vs Aluminium

If you go with lexan use 3/16" its thicker you can hit rocks it wont break like some of the mass produced plastic baits out there, I know Ive replaced alot of lips for alot of friends. The heavier lexan will restrict action on round lips, but if you make a square lip with a sharp bevel on the front it will increase your action a good deal (youd be amazed) if you get a nick or a bump on the end take a file or a sander, smooth it off and your good to go!
Kingfisher
Posted 1/24/2008 10:07 PM (#296237 - in reply to #295352)

3/16th is ok for 10 inch baits. I use 1/4 inch on my 12 inch lures and they break that up on Georgian bay. I use 3/8th on my 21 and they break that too. Poly Carbonate is fine if youre not bashing rocks. Brass is too heavy if its thick enough and also too soft. Top Metal lips are Aluminum, stainless steel and Titanium. Lexan is a brand name of Polycarbonate not a type of plastic sheeting. Plexiglass is the worst stuff you can use as it is very brittle. Kingfisher
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)