Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Phantom Jerkbaits

Message Subject: Phantom Jerkbaits
Bassmandan
Posted 1/16/2008 12:06 PM (#294396)
Subject: Phantom Jerkbaits

I've been monitoring this forum for a while, but now I had a question so I figured I would join in. I own a reef hawg and an Eddy, but I was planning on buying a Phantom for this year. I was wondering if anyone has used or has advice regarding the curly-tail phantom jerkbait? Just trying to see if they're used in the same situations or if there is a more specific application for them. I figured I would add something different to my arsenal by getting the curly tail Phantom but just wanted to get some input before I buy anything.
Thanks for any advice you might have,

Dan
Steve Jonesi
Posted 1/16/2008 12:20 PM (#294397 - in reply to #294396)
Subject: Re: Phantom Jerkbaits

I typically run the Soft Tail in the same situations I run the regular. I use these baits with what I call a "bucktail" retrieve. Very short , quick taps to make 'em dance. I don't like a wide swing, I almost make the bait pivot. I had a couple buddies pre-fishing the Wave Wackers Walleye Tourney(on Mille Lacs) last June using soft tails in the weeds. The fish they were catching were all too big!!!!! 24-28". Stupid fish! Steve
rpike
Posted 1/16/2008 9:50 PM (#294484 - in reply to #294396)
Subject: RE: Phantom Jerkbaits

Maybe it's just me, but I can't make the curly tail phantom dance nearly as well as the solid one. I really have to throw a lot of slack to get the curly tail one to swing as well.

I really like solid phantoms. I get a better belly roll and death wiggle with them than most other gliders. I suspect I make them swing more than Steve Jonesi does, but sometimes I run them fast and tight.

Sometimes all that juking and jiving can be too much of a good thing. My buddy and I call it being phantomized. There are a couple variations. The first one is where the fish hits it, but you never feel it because of the way its swinging. I've seen it happen a bunch. The second is where the fish hits it, but you barely hook it because the fish zigged while the bait zagged. Then you've got a heavy bait with lots of leverage that pops free on the first good head shake. I can't tell you how many times that's happened.

Still, I use them fairly often, because on tough days I can often move fish, and elicit strikes, on them when I can't even buy a follow on other lures.

I almost never get phantomized with the 6" model. It's smaller and lighter, and the fish are seem to get hooked better.
dedicated Angler
Posted 1/17/2008 2:08 PM (#294614 - in reply to #294396)

Get a straight model and pull the back hook and replace it with a single hook and slip a twister tail on it.
The hook change should not be an issue as all the fish I have on Phantoms were on the front hooks.

You don't like it put the old hook back on.

Long story short BUY ONE, and make sure you get a Cleveland Phantom.
Bassmandan
Posted 1/18/2008 1:24 AM (#294760 - in reply to #294614)

Thank you for the comments. Sorry for the dumb question, but what is a "Cleveland " Phantom?

Dan
Pikopath
Posted 1/18/2008 1:55 AM (#294763 - in reply to #294396)

Todd Cleveland is the maker of the Phantom. He worked for a while with Odyssey Lures and the Phantoms they put out after he left them,.Odyssey is out of business now (From what Ive heard) but there could be a few of their Phantoms circulating still.

Todds Phantoms are now made of solid plastic instead of Maple, but they still rock.
Dedicated Angler: 'BUY ONE'? Only one? Its the best glider there is, cant get enuff of them

Michael
Bassmandan
Posted 1/18/2008 5:29 PM (#294880 - in reply to #294763)

Thanks for clearing that up. So why do people like Phantoms so much compared with other similar baits like: Reef Hawgs, Eddies, wabulls etc? Same action right? Just curious I've never used one.

Thanks again,

Dan
esox50
Posted 1/19/2008 12:52 PM (#294993 - in reply to #294396)

Compared to other gliders I've used the Phantom is very easy to get going. Tight glide makes it easy to work around cover, but the best part of these baits (IMO) is the flash and belly roll they produce. I've thrown a bunch of different brands, but keep coming back to my 6" custom Thornes pattern with silver holoform sides. I work mine over pretty roughly, really SNAPPING the rod that causes the bait to roll almost completely onto its side while still maintaining that nice tight glide.

The "Cleveland" Phantom is THE Phantom made by Todd Cleveland, not by another company that used to make them (Odyssey, I believe). Production nuances sometimes make a HUGE difference.
Pikopath
Posted 1/19/2008 1:21 PM (#294994 - in reply to #294396)

Todd worked with Odyssey in the beginning, so some of them are good.
What I like do to with mine is let them sink a couple of feet, and then rip the rod a couple of times, like setting the hook, it will (it does to me anyway)look like a fish laying on its sides twitching its last deathcramps

Michael
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)