Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Okuma Induron (some questions)

Message Subject: Okuma Induron (some questions)
AndrewR
Posted 11/29/2007 7:37 PM (#286966)
Subject: Okuma Induron (some questions)

Hi guys,

I recently got into Musky fishing over this past summer, and I'm also a nOOb to the boards here. Been reading everything here since summer and decided to register just today. This is a GREAT resource by the way!

For those interested, I fish the waters of Vilas and Oneida co. quite hard - mostly in Minocqua/ Lac Du Flambeau/ Boulder/ Arbor Vitae/ St. Germain areas.

Anyways, I'm looking for a new rod and reel to throw around 2-6oz baits. More like topwaters such as Rumblers and Topraiders, as well as the occasional larger bucktails.... Maybe some larger cranks too. The whole shebang, I guess.

I'm already set on the rod. 7ft 6-inch St. Croix Premier PM76HF (2-6oz).... If not this, then the 6ft 9-inch model is another option. (3-8oz)

I'm still very undecided on the reel.

I've heard a lot that the Okuma Induron's are built pretty well. The best thing I like about it is the price tag ($120) as it seems to fit my budget the best.

Do any of you well-seasoned vets have any opinions on the Induron? Are there any ideal applications you like to use the Induron 400a for? I've also been hearing that purchasing a power handle makes a difference with this reel. Any truth to that?

Thank you for your help!

andrew
California_Muskie
Posted 11/29/2007 8:33 PM (#286970 - in reply to #286966)
Subject: RE: Okuma Induron (some questions)

Andrew...

I am the resident Okuma Facotry guy here on the boards.... I will let the others talk about the reel but if you would like to know specifics on the reel... I would be happy to answer your questions if you want to PM me. I don't feel right giving you an opinion as it is biased due to my job.

Hopefully Doug Johnson is on here... he had some pretty impressive numbers on one reel used for 1.5 seasons. It was well over 100 fish.

There are a few other guys that can give you opinions also.

Mark
Schuler
Posted 11/29/2007 8:55 PM (#286974 - in reply to #286966)
Subject: Re: Okuma Induron (some questions)

I like the Induron..seems well built and if you do run into a problem, Okuma has excellent service. The reel is really smooth. I would rate it right up there with my millionaires (but the induron is much less money). Also, it probably casts further than any of my other muskie reels if you need the extra distance.
sworrall
Posted 11/29/2007 9:07 PM (#286980 - in reply to #286966)

I fished a set of 250's and a set of 400's all season. Stellar reels.
Slamr
Posted 11/29/2007 9:54 PM (#286992 - in reply to #286966)

Lots of great info on the board from the last year or so, see below for links. Personally, I've been beating the heck out of them this season and am nothing but happy as can be with their performance. Topwaters, cranks, jerks and big tails all ran well on my Induron 400. The 250 size is a great reel also, nice for side to side topwaters, jerks and twitchbaits.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=37...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=36...

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=35...
AndrewR
Posted 11/29/2007 10:03 PM (#286996 - in reply to #286966)

Thanks for the quick info and thanks for the links Slamr - helped a ton.

I think I'm sold on this reel. Along with a 400, I may also get a 250. We'll see.

Thanks guys!

andrew
willeysbucktails
Posted 11/29/2007 10:21 PM (#286997 - in reply to #286996)

I have 2 400's and 4 linecounters.......................top notch reels, jw
tuffy1
Posted 11/30/2007 7:11 AM (#287031 - in reply to #286997)

I have to say, I gave mine a very good workout this year and it held up better than some other reels that I have. Matter of fact, I'm getting rid of those reels and pickin up some more Indurons. I threw mag dawgs, XX's, topraiders, weagles, etc and the real held up with no issues at all. Well, one issue. The nut cap on the reel handle fell off, but that was due to me being a moron that didn't put it on tight.

The power handle made it easy to use as well, but I never fished it with the regular handle so I'm not sure what difference it made. I know that it was smooth as butter though with the power handle.

Overall, I was very impressed with the reel, and don't think you'll find a better one for the money.
jbmuskie
Posted 11/30/2007 12:38 PM (#287080 - in reply to #286966)

Couple more questions...
I haven't seen the 250 or 400 other than on the internet. Does the power handle work/fit on the 250 model? I like the idea of a lighter weight/smaller reel. I believe everything else is excatly the same on both reels, except size/weight and line capacity. Would that be correct? Thanks
Slamr
Posted 11/30/2007 12:39 PM (#287082 - in reply to #287080)

Yes the power handle fits on the 250. I have one set up in this way....you'll like it.
jerkin
Posted 11/30/2007 3:53 PM (#287116 - in reply to #286966)

I don't have any of the casting reels but do have a couple linecounters that I've been pleased with. I bought them as combos with a 10' mooching/dipsy stick for walleye on Erie but have used them for musky also with no problem, can't beat them for the price. The only drawback is that it's harder to find parts for the Okuma stuff, none of the retailers around here carry anything so you're pretty much stuck with mail order and waiting. Might be different in your area though.
California_Muskie
Posted 11/30/2007 5:37 PM (#287127 - in reply to #287116)

Scott...

Thanks for the comments. As far as parts, there are a few way to go about getting parts if they are needed. One way is through an Authorized Repair Center (ARC). You can access who these guys are through the Okuma website. The second is through a local reel repair shop. Anyone that does reel repair for any brand can get all Okuma parts. All they need to do is call our service department and set up an account. The third way is to call Okuma directly (800) 466-5862 x 135 or x 151. They can either send you the part or you can send the reel to us for repair / upgrade. The fourth way is to contact me either by email or by sending me a PM. I try my best to check to check my messages on a daily basis.

I'd like to thank you all for the comments. Our products by no means are the end all for rods and reels but I can tell you that if you do have a problem, Okuma is here to make sure you and your reel are taken care of in a timely fashion.

We have implemented a program for reels that are sent in to Okuma for repair. Once we receive your reel, the clock starts. If we cannot get your reel repaired within 48 hours and sent back out, your reel will be replaced with a reel of equal or better quality.

We are doing our best to service our customers and improve the quality of our items on a daily basis. If anyone has any questions or concerns... we are here for you.

Mark Rogers
Okuma

Edited by California_Muskie 11/30/2007 5:39 PM
AndrewR
Posted 11/30/2007 5:59 PM (#287128 - in reply to #287127)

We have implemented a program for reels that are sent in to Okuma for repair. Once we receive your reel, the clock starts. If we cannot get your reel repaired within 48 hours and sent back out, your reel will be replaced with a reel of equal or better quality.

We are doing our best to service our customers and improve the quality of our items on a daily basis. If anyone has any questions or concerns... we are here for you.

That's dedication! I like it!

Mark, thanks for getting back to the message I sent you. I'll send you my shipping address and details when it's a done-deal!

andrew
Chris H
Posted 11/30/2007 6:00 PM (#287129 - in reply to #287127)

I picked one up from KT and I love it. I'll admit, since I have Lunas, I got it with the intention of having that on a set-up for my "guest" in the boat to use. But with that power handle, best one out there in my opinion, I find myself using the Okuma just as much as the Lunas when I"m fishing!

Chris
jerkin
Posted 11/30/2007 7:09 PM (#287133 - in reply to #287127)

Mark, that's pretty impressive. Nothing better than great customer service after the sale when many manufacturers want to forget about you. For the price I paid for the combos I purchased I honestly wasn't expecting much. I've been surprised to say the least, we caught walleye in Erie up to the 10-12 pound range pulling large dipseys without a problem. I thought if they could handle that I would try them for muskies also.

I've been pulling Legend Plows and Perchbaits this fall and the rods handle them well. I wouldn't complain if I did snap one since I know I'm overloading them, especially in the cold weather but I haven't had anything break. That's the biggest reason I stated in another thread that one of your new casting rods would be my next bigger fishing purchase, well that and all the good reviews they have gotten here
Fishrdan
Posted 12/1/2007 12:03 AM (#287152 - in reply to #286966)

Andrew,

I bought an Induron IDx400a (well, actually 2,,, don't tell the wife last week off the recommendations of the guys here. I just got back from fishing them today and was really impressed, fit and finish is very nice and they cast like a dream. The casting distance was impressive with 3 break blocks on with the cast control knob backed off. It's a fast reel that's tame enough to not overrun constantly.

I'm very happy I got 2 Indurons instead of 1 of the others...

Oh BTW, the power handle is very comfortable, perfect length and the knob is the right shape/size, not uncomfortable and awkward as some of my saltwater reels.

Edited by Fishrdan 12/1/2007 1:07 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)