Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best Muskie Net?

Message Subject: Best Muskie Net?
tetris
Posted 11/27/2007 4:11 PM (#286503)
Subject: Best Muskie Net?

What would you say is the best net out there (and safest on the fish)? My Frabill Kwik Kradle went for a swim on Sunday with the 20mph winds here. Not sure if I want to go with another one or not. I know what to ask for Christmas now anyway.
Pedro
Posted 11/27/2007 4:15 PM (#286504 - in reply to #286503)
Subject: Re: Best Muskie Net?

The Frabill big Kahuna net is great, plenty of room for the fish to swim around in, and room for you to work around and release the fish.
Tackle Industries
Posted 11/27/2007 4:35 PM (#286505 - in reply to #286503)

Frabill Big Kahuna. I had a Frabil Kwik Kradle but did not like it when I was alone. The Frabill big Kahuna also has a deeper net (I think) and this allows me to trap the handle under my seat and the fish still has pleanty of room in the water in the net for me to work on it. JMO
AWH
Posted 11/27/2007 5:26 PM (#286515 - in reply to #286503)

I wouldn't want to be without my Big Kahuna. The only drawback is the size. If you have a small boat, finding a place to keep it while you're fishing might not be the easiet. But the size is also one of the things that makes it a great net. Even the biggest of fish will still allow for room to work on them while in the water.

Aaron
Steve Jonesi
Posted 11/27/2007 6:16 PM (#286532 - in reply to #286503)

The Kahuna is an "in the water livewell". Plenty of bag depth to keep the head under water , even in 3' waves. Oh, it will swallow 54" ers too. Steve
esox50
Posted 11/27/2007 6:29 PM (#286533 - in reply to #286503)

I've got a Beckman Pro Finsaver and like it. Not too big for our 18'6" boat, but not too small to where I feel I can't rely on the net to fit a big fish in. Good on the fish, low drag going through the water makes netting fish a breeze.

I think you should consider a few questions when purchasing one: a) how much room do I have in my boat?; b) what size fish can I realistically expect to catch then adjust for the "big one" however you define that (i.e. here in Illinois we are not blessed with as many 50"ers as other states so our chances of running into one/netting one are much fewer, BUT the possibility is there so that must be considered. I feel, my opinion, that a Kahuna for our waters is unnecessary given the size fish we normally encounter, but if you fish Mille Lacs, Green Bay, Vermilion, Eagle, LOTW, etc. a lot then I would opt for the biggest net available).

All that said, if I had the money I'd probably just buy the Kahuna and not worry about things! lol

Just my .02 cents.
Schuler
Posted 11/27/2007 11:04 PM (#286560 - in reply to #286503)

I had the kwik-kradle and really liked it. My problem with it was it took up too much space. I now have the power catch thats a step smaller than the big kahuna...works great. I love the triangular handle that frabill uses.
reelman
Posted 11/27/2007 11:33 PM (#286564 - in reply to #286503)

I really like my Stowmaster. The thing has a HUGE net and bow and I like that it folds up to take up a lot less room in the boat.
muskynightmare
Posted 11/28/2007 12:32 AM (#286574 - in reply to #286564)

Big Kahuna.
I'm gonna post a pick soon, but my Wife and grandaughter look like they are in jail in that net! Granted, Lori is only 5-2, and Vanessa is 3-nothing else, but, together, that is alot of female in one net! If fishing alone, it helps to have a rod holder in place. Set the handle in the holder while you prep the camera, release tools, etc.

Edited by muskynightmare 11/28/2007 12:36 AM
lambeau
Posted 11/28/2007 7:43 AM (#286586 - in reply to #286503)

i've got the Power Catch that's one size smaller: 32"x41" hoop, with a 60" bag depth. ($129)
the Power Catch "Big Kahuna" is only slightly larger: 40"x44" hoop, with a 48" bag depth. ($179)

i've used both, and prefer the slightly smaller hoop, with the deeper bag.
it fits in the boat more easily, is easier to maneuver to net a fish, and is plenty big to capture even the largest fish.
with the amount of bag depth it provides there's still more than enough room for even big fish to float freely, but the smaller bag circumference makes it easier to wrangle those smaller fish in from the far side when getting hooks out.
same handle assembly, same knotless/hookless/coated bag material, and it's $50 cheaper...
bn
Posted 11/28/2007 7:50 AM (#286588 - in reply to #286503)
Subject: RE: Best Muskie Net?

If you fish by yourself much I'd steer clear of the Big Kahuna...It isn't that easy to net a fish with that by yourself... I've got the largest Beckman for fishing solo and fishing in WI and that is a great net...when I travel to the 50 inch waters the Big Kahuna goes in the boat....
tcbetka
Posted 11/28/2007 8:13 AM (#286592 - in reply to #286588)

I would second that about the BK being a big tough to handle by yourself. I have netted several fish with it myself this year, and it's a load with the handle extended. For me, the secret has been to hold onto the net bag with the hand I have the handle in, then put the net in the water well before I need to use it. It's so big that it isn't easy to move quickly, at least not with any grace--so it isn't like you can net a green fish easily by yourself. But for big fish it's awesome, especially when you have another skilled angler in the boat as your net man. I also agree that the 40x44" hoop is a bit of a pain in the boat though--but we have figured out ways to stow it neatly.

I wouldn't have any other net where we fish though.

TB
AWH
Posted 11/28/2007 9:56 AM (#286614 - in reply to #286503)

There's some truth to be had about the Big Kahuna being more difficult to handle when fishing by yourself, no doubt. And that should be taken into consideration when making your purchase. However, on the flip side, the bigger net also allows more room for error. I've netted a bunch of fish fishing solo with my Big Kahuna. It did take a few fish to get used to. But because of the bigger hoop, I know I've been able to get a couple fish in the net pretty easily that I might have screwed up with my smaller net that I had previously.

Aaron
Manta18
Posted 11/28/2007 4:02 PM (#286677 - in reply to #286614)

I have a Beckman Magnum Musky net and absolutely love it. The thing is an absolute black hole and easy to handle when fishing solo. I think it makes netting super easy, and being 54" deep, the fish can just hang in the water while i get my tools,etc. I wish it had the yoke like Frabill's do, but when fishing solo, I extend the handle and lock it in place before leaving the landing.

I think that all the nets made now are great and it is kind of like the Ford/Chevy debate. More a matter of personal choice. Just make sure you get one big enough, and you can't go wrong.
Shep
Posted 11/29/2007 9:25 AM (#286829 - in reply to #286677)

Frabill PowerCatch.
tetris
Posted 11/29/2007 11:19 AM (#286859 - in reply to #286503)

Thanks for all the input guys. I do fish solo most of the time. I was leaning towards the big kahuna, but sounds like it might be a little difficult when flying solo. I wonder how it would compare to the Kwik Kradle when solo. I was able to manage that fine. Did have a muskie jump out of it once this summer though. Not wanting to take that chance again. Plus it just takes up a lot of space and you can't lay it flat. Anyone have any thoughts on the Frabill Big Game?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)