Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> The "ULTIMATE" late season rod,,ideas??

Message Subject: The "ULTIMATE" late season rod,,ideas??
happy hooker
Posted 11/20/2007 9:34 AM (#285481)
Subject: The "ULTIMATE" late season rod,,ideas??

I hate to troll only doing it when I have to with the 'have to' always being the rod freezing up

Id be intrested in having a specific "late season" rod built and when I say late season I mean Nov -thru ice up and Im talking the cold locals Northern Minn/wisc.

length and action are not the issue its the "components" that make it up are the key the kind of components/design that is intended to give fair performance but maximum ressistence to ice up

Black handle and reel seat-Black absorbs heat???

what kind of guides??? should you try to go with a all metal guide stainless/aluminum/ etc,,,because your ALWAYS breaking ice out of the guides if you go with a ceramic insert guide I think its only a matter of time that you crack or break any type of insert,,would a onepiece guide be better.

very,very LARGE oversize guides the larger the guide the less often they have to be broken free,,even though this would go against the performance factor of the blank 'who cares' your mostly casting huge baits anyways this time of year mag/pounder dawgs,,jakes,large jerks

should you go with LESS guides ???

the ultimate would be to have a heated handle which I dont think would be that hard to design "tinkerers get to work" one Idea would be to be able to insert into the botom hande the solid fuel sticks that handwarmers use,this might aide in keeping the blank warm and guides not to mention your hands

like to hear any Ideas????
bluegill
Posted 11/20/2007 8:40 PM (#285595 - in reply to #285481)
Subject: Re: The "ULTIMATE" late season rod,,ideas??

This wouldn't help with warmth, but you might consider using a spiral, 'revolving' style of guide placement, where the first guide up from the reel is in standard location, the next is rotated 90 degrees around the blank, and the rest are placed underneath the blank. This serves to reduce twist on the blank, which would be extra brittle in cold weather. it also allows you to use fewer guides while still keeping the line off the blank. I have several rods for bass fishing with spiral guides and really like them. I've never seen a musky rod with them, but have to believe they are out there.

Hope this helps.

Eric
ShaneW
Posted 11/20/2007 9:04 PM (#285597 - in reply to #285595)
Subject: Re: The "ULTIMATE" late season rod,,ideas??

Eric,

I have one built that way for muskies - a 9' bucktail rod. The line guides start on the top at the normal 12 o clock position and then turn so the tip top is actually facing down at the 6 o clock position.

Shane
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)