Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

[Frozen]
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Air too cold for a succesful release?

Frozen
Message Subject: Air too cold for a succesful release?
DJS
Posted 11/30/2007 10:12 PM (#287141)
Subject: Air too cold for a succesful release?

I have no idea when the air temp becomes too cold for a fish's gills to handle being exposed to it. Does anyone have any idea? Maybe some ice fisherman have an idea about the possibility of a successful release when air temps are 20 degrees below frreezing.
Yes this is a spin-off of the Gelb situation! It's no diffrent than a lot of other types of mishandling and then wondering why the fish won't swim off when released.
Mr Musky
Posted 11/30/2007 10:26 PM (#287142 - in reply to #287141)
Subject: Re: Air too cold for a succesful release?

DJS, Im sure the fish was not mishandled as Gelb has handled thousands of muskies and im sure he can remove/cuts better then the majority. As far as a pic goes I dont believe the fish was ever taken out of the water since he was by himself. If you go back and re read the original post Tom explains what all happened. We dont need to rehash this again today. If you want to get into air temps and whats safe or not then that's another can of worms that doesn't even pertain to what happened. Hello it wasn't laying on the ice or in his boat!!!!! So I would not start anything here as the moderators will yank your senseless post.

Mr Musky
DJS
Posted 11/30/2007 10:46 PM (#287144 - in reply to #287141)
Subject: RE: Air too cold for a succesful release?

He said "I finally got the head up" I assumed that meant out of the water to cut the hooks out maybe that's not what it meant.
Mr Musky
Posted 11/30/2007 11:12 PM (#287146 - in reply to #287141)

What I meant was that I would not believe that Tom would have ever taken the fish out of the water so the air temperature shouldn't have anything to do with the fish dying, it was just a matter of how it was hooked and whatever else happened during the battle. I on the other hand know the feeling, I had a dandy 46 incher die on me back on June 2nd this year. She inhaled a doublecowgirl seconds after it hit the water, I got her in the net within a minute. The back hook was engulfed into the throat and gills, all I could see was about a 1/4 inch of the front of the blade.sticking out of her mouth I immediately (fish in water/net) came in from behind cut the cowgirl in half, cut the hooks pulled the front half out then the rear half out from the back, never took the fish out of the water and immediately tried to release her, well the blood was pumping out since the initial hookset mind you, I did ALL I could. I hung onto her for another 2 1/2 hrs ( im measured her in the water with a floating stick) and she just would never stay upright from the very beginning. What did I do wrong in this situation? I was sick to my stomach, it was the first fish I ever had die on my in 21 years of musky fishing!!! Do you think I was a big fan of Double Cowgirls being my first cowgirl fish???? Do you think I wanted to go back and start chucking them the next time out? The answer is NO I was gun shy about them. I e mailed some hard core double cowgirl users (guides) to see if they ever ran into something like this. The answer I got was well there were times we had to use the spreaders and do some surgery but we think they all made it. Well I know mine didnt. It sucked but I can relate with Gelb this year, we both have a skins sitting at Lax. I would not ever in my life whether the fish be a legal 34" or 52 3/4" be left for the turtles or seagulls! Sh!t happens and it will happen to everybody some point in there career. At least these two fish did not go to waste and people can appreciate them and use their molds for future fish that are released successfully!!

Mr Musky

Mr Musky
sworrall
Posted 11/30/2007 11:19 PM (#287147 - in reply to #287141)

MUCH colder than it was. I remember seeing a temp in some work I read at minus 25, or close to that. Think about it, the cold would have to flash freeze tissue, and wet tissue at that. I release Pike in the winter in colder temps all the time and they show back up on camera later, hook marks and all.

Geeez, now we are going to try to pin a 'too cold to fish' label up here? Give me a break....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)