Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> church tackle planer boards

Message Subject: church tackle planer boards
eslofquist
Posted 10/17/2007 10:42 PM (#280038)
Subject: church tackle planer boards

I've been using Church Tackle's Mr. Walleye boards for walleyes and browns in the spring and found them to be very versatile and work well in larger waves from 1.8 to 2 mph. I've been using them for trolling muskies also but have had problems with the boards skipping across the water rather than holding their ground on the side of the boat when i hit 4.5 to 5 mph even with the weights all the way forward. Does anyone else have this problem? any recommended solutions?

thanks
muskynightmare
Posted 10/18/2007 8:05 AM (#280071 - in reply to #280038)
Subject: Re: church tackle planer boards

I use those boards as well, and skipping does happen, when you get a bait with alot of pull. I usually put those baits towards the inside of my spread. Otherwise, great boards.
Also, upgrade your release to the good Off-Shore clips with the lever action. It takes a little drilling to make them fit, and go to the Hardware store to get some 6-32 lock nuts to secure to your board.
Ben Kueng
Posted 10/18/2007 8:21 AM (#280075 - in reply to #280038)

I use offshore planer boards and dont have to much of a problem unless its real choppy. You have to switch the clips with either the Red ones or the larger snap clips that are designed to be used with braided line. That will put you at about $50 a board, but its well worth it. Ive used the smaller church boards for sucker fishing and they work great!
C_Nelson
Posted 10/18/2007 10:18 AM (#280101 - in reply to #280038)

Adjust the bottom weight so it is towards the front of the board more. This will help keep the nose of the board down and allow it to "grab" the water more and hold. I have pulled 10" Jakes at 4mph and not had an issue and also 16oz lead balls at 2.8mph for salmon without a problem.

As far as releases go, find the same type of release that is on them now, but in metal. A company makes after market metal releases and they work GREAT and are not that expensive. I am still using the original Church boards with the metal releases on them.

Chuck
ToddM
Posted 10/18/2007 11:29 PM (#280214 - in reply to #280038)
Subject: RE: church tackle planer boards

I am not so sure that skipping around is a bad thing. It is surging and changine the speed of the bait. Mine skip some too but do their job. I put the weights backward to keep them from submarining when they stall. Never had any issues due to the skipping.

I have given thought to putting the offshore clip with the pin on the church board. Now that I know it can be done, I will fit mine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)