Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Question for the rod builders

Message Subject: Question for the rod builders
esoxaddict
Posted 9/21/2007 9:47 AM (#275982)
Subject: Question for the rod builders

How difficult is it to re-cork a rod? I have half a dozen Fig Rigs that are in like-new or new condition, that I really like except for one thing. The grips are too small. I want fat cork, at least the size of what St Criox uses, preferrably fatter.

I've seen the stuff you wrap around the rod handle, and its ok, but I prefer good old fashoined cork.

It looks like you would have to strip the rods down to the blank and basically start over in order to change the grips, and I'm not sure I want to take a bunch of perfectly good $159 rods apart.

Do I sell them all and buy different rods? Is there some other option? Or do I just live with them?
deanj
Posted 9/22/2007 10:10 AM (#276081 - in reply to #275982)
Subject: Re: Question for the rod builders

re-corking is a pain if you want to do it well. You're right, you'd pretty much have to tear apart the rod. And the bad part is the reel-seat -- which should be *very* well bonded to the blank. So, if you can't get the reel-seat off you are going to have to use other methods. None of these other methods will leave as nice a handle as the good old one-at-a-time cork ring rasped to fit the taper of the blank. To do that you have to work from the butt to the tip.

If you want fat grips I'd say start with the wraps -- failing that -- EVA can be split and put on "in-place." (Which still isn't as nice as a good cork job).

Good Luck!
Posted 9/25/2007 7:08 AM (#276402 - in reply to #275982)
Subject: RE: Question for the rod builders

as stated above--royal pain: sell what you don't like and get what you want. cork is not a cheep part, so between the labor and parts you are better off spending $220 or so on a new custom diamondback with the jumbo cork.
Professional Edge
Posted 9/25/2007 8:29 AM (#276421 - in reply to #276402)
Subject: RE: Question for the rod builders

Unless you really like the blank and are not opposed to throwing some money at it, it is better to go new. There is twice as much work taking a stick apart and rebuilding it.

Keith
esoxaddict
Posted 9/25/2007 9:16 AM (#276425 - in reply to #275982)

Thanks guys!

BALDY
Posted 9/25/2007 9:21 AM (#276428 - in reply to #276425)

You could always use the little trick with pipe insulation that Sled posted awhile back and then wrap some cork tape around that.

no reason to take a hit selling those rods just because of the cork. there is plenty that can be done to fix it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)