Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hook Cutters

Message Subject: Hook Cutters
Shep
Posted 9/24/2007 9:56 AM (#276237 - in reply to #276227)
Subject: Re: Hook Cutters

Even thieves prefer Knipex! I just replaced mine this weekend when I stopped at R&H's. They were kiped last month at a bar & grill. The only thing the lowlife took. Perhaps he thought all the exposed Shad Raps, and Wally Divers were too small for muskies?
curleytail
Posted 9/24/2007 10:13 AM (#276240 - in reply to #267003)
Subject: RE: Hook Cutters

I caught a fish yesterday that I'm pretty sure I would have killed without a pair of Knipex hook cutters. A 37.5 incher hit a Weagle 10 feet or so from the boat. When I got it in the net I went "Oh no." The rear hook of the Weagle was WAAAYY up inside the gills coming from the outside. The fish must have got hooked on the front hook, and the rear swung around and into the gill area. It was so far in that the tail of the Weagle was holding the gill cover partially open.

When I looked in there, I couldn't hardly even see the hook. But, with some veerrryy careful wiggling, I pushed one barb through and cut it. The other two I could only get the very nose of the cutters on the hook, but it snipped them off, even with the bad leverage for cutting. A cheap pair would have never cut those hooks off like that with the hook right at the beak of the cutter.

As it was, a fish that had all three points of a treble BURIED in it's gill area released very strongly without shedding a drop of blood or one ripped gill. I'll never go without the Knipex.

curleytail

Edited by curleytail 9/24/2007 10:15 AM
tetris
Posted 9/24/2007 12:57 PM (#276262 - in reply to #267003)
Subject: RE: Hook Cutters

Go with the Knipex. I love them. My first time around I bought the cheap $10 pair and they rusted out within a few years.
I got my knipex from Jackson Lures. It's the best price I found.... http://www.jacksonlures.com/Commerce2/Knipex.htm
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)