Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Handle for Pflueger/Gander 66

Message Subject: Handle for Pflueger/Gander 66
curleytail
Posted 9/10/2007 10:43 PM (#274245)
Subject: Handle for Pflueger/Gander 66

I know this has been covered a little before, but I have a different question that what I have found by searching. I would like a new handle for my Gander Guide Series 66. Seems like most people are putting those big single paddle "power" handles on their reels these days. I am interested in a standard double paddle handle.

I was wondering if a regular paddle handle from a Calcutta would work on this reel. The Power Handles do from what I gather, so the standard one should work too right? Does Shimano still make that paddle style in the larger styles anymore, or is it only for the 100 or 200 series reels now? Looks like all of their TE's have power handles, as well as the 400B.

What handle would I be asking Shimano for? It looks like I would have to order one from the factory. Not sure if that is even possible or not, but just thinking.

If a Calcutta handle isn't the way to go, what should I try? I'd rather not have to modify anything if possible.

curleytail
Milfoil21
Posted 9/10/2007 11:22 PM (#274251 - in reply to #274245)
Subject: Re: Handle for Pflueger/Gander 66

I have a few of the Pflueger 66 and I switched out the handle and put on the power handle from St. Croix. It's the same handle that comes on the Luna an over sized double handle. I really like the feel. I only bought one the first time but as soon as I used it I put them on all me reels.
curleytail
Posted 9/11/2007 1:18 PM (#274318 - in reply to #274245)
Subject: RE: Handle for Pflueger/Gander 66

Thanks for the reply Milfoil. That sounds like a good idea! Did you just send an email to St. Croix asking them to send you a Power Handle from an AC 300? Can I ask how much it cost? It looks like they attach the same way as the Pflueger 66 handles do. I'm guessing you can use the stock nut and handle cover Pflueger has.

Thanks!

curleytail
Milfoil21
Posted 9/11/2007 11:39 PM (#274420 - in reply to #274245)
Subject: Re: Handle for Pflueger/Gander 66

CurleyTail

I picked them up when I was at the factory. I would give the St. Croix Pro Shop a call, they are very helpful. I can't remember how much it costs although it wasn't cheap but worth every penny. The handle comes with a nut and handle cover.
Hope you can get your hands on one. If that doesn't work try and get a hold of Daiwa and see if you can get a Luna handle (same handle I believe) maybe just a different color.
Posted 9/12/2007 6:50 AM (#274436 - in reply to #274245)

The Calcutta TE handles work great of these reels.

Call up Thorne Bros as they have them in stock.

curleytail
Posted 9/19/2007 8:22 PM (#275756 - in reply to #274245)

This is just an update if anyone is interested. I emailed St. Croix and they said the handle would be $30 but they were out of them.
I ordered a double paddle handle from a Calcutta from Thornes. It was around $23, and with shipping came to about $30. I put it on the reel and it is sweet! I haven't used it yet, but I know I will like it.

One thing I didn't like about the Gander reel was the small, fairly hard plastic paddles. If my hands were wet, or had the slightest amount of oil on them, I couldn't get a good grip on the handles. This sure made putting some power behind the reel with a fish on tough sometimes. The paddles on the Calcutta handle are a nice big soft slip resistant rubber. Should be way better.

Only thing is the TE handle is gold and the Pflueger/Gander reels are silver, but who do I have to impress besides the muskies?

curleytail
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)