Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Big bucktail craze!

Message Subject: Big bucktail craze!
needa70lber
Posted 9/16/2007 11:50 PM (#275248)
Subject: Big bucktail craze!

We all use em but I'm curious how everyone's hook sets have been? What rod do you use to get big fish hooked on these when casting? I'm 28 years old, was a three sporter in high school, played ball in college and move furniture for a living! I'm no weakling and I have yet landed a big fish with these double bladed number 10 colorado bucktail, feather, tinsel, and rubber!!! It's driving me nuts! I've tried 8', 7'6", 7', 6'6" rods. I've tried abu 7000, calcutta 400 with power handle, 2 speed 6500 on 4:1 gear, c3 6500, cabo pt, penn 965 gee wiz!!!

Today was tossing a supergirl bumble bee orange blades (awesome color/lure) with a calcutta 400 power handle, 7'6" compre rod newer one, and a 45" plus musky absolutly inhailed the lure from the back all the way to the blade boat side before the figure eight, after three strong head shakes under water the lure came off like there were no hooks!! This has happened before several times this year, and my hooks are razor sharp! The lure was bent at a 45 degree angle at the first hook or loose hook below the blades. What in the heck am I doing wrong? Are the hooks to darn big on these baits? 7/0 trebles I think?

I've lost big fish on the dc-10 as well and I ended up trimming the rubber skirt to expose the rear hook and still miss fish. I think most fish have been going for the blades instead of the skirt?

Any suggestions please?
bturg
Posted 9/17/2007 12:27 AM (#275250 - in reply to #275248)
Subject: Re: Big bucktail craze!

8' heavy, superbraid, locked down drag.....shouldn't be an issue. If it still is review your hooksetting procedure, keep your body at 45 degrees to the retrieve and set low and to the side. Setting up opens the fishes mouth and puts the hooks into the bony top of the mouth.
double cow girl
Posted 9/17/2007 12:54 AM (#275251 - in reply to #275248)
Subject: RE: Big bucktail craze!

i like to give the fish a a 2 second count before i set the hook, i like 50lb braided dacron it stretches a little, you wont tear as many hooks out on a tight drag with this line. we have caught many big fish on the double cow girls, and the dc8 llungen tail, with this combo, last month we boated 48 fish over 42'' with 6 fish between 50-53''with double cow girls and dc8s i like the dc 8 for night fishing in the black and gold and the black and silver, also we took the front hooks off the cow girls, less weeds and the fish release alot faster, the llungen tails dont have front hooks, i lose very few fish on this lure.
50inchgrinch
Posted 9/17/2007 8:16 AM (#275265 - in reply to #275248)
Subject: RE: Big bucktail craze!

hmmm...odd it's low hooking for as with bucktail all the fish bites into is hooks. I would make sure to be pointing the rod at the lure on retrieve for the set and FREESPOOL when needed....sound like you're tearin' out hooks.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)