Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Obabikon Bay Camp

Message Subject: Obabikon Bay Camp
obabikon
Posted 8/7/2007 8:39 AM (#268991)
Subject: Obabikon Bay Camp

Hey guys, figured I'd post a fishing report here every day or two. Just to let everyone know what's been going on.

A guest boated a 43 inch musky casting for small mouth with an orange and brown spinner bait. On the edge of a sand beach with large boulders in miles bay. (3-6 feet of water... I know the bay he caught it in, and it's not very deep)
Hinch
Posted 8/7/2007 9:16 AM (#268998 - in reply to #268991)
Subject: RE: Obabikon Bay Camp

How is the water clarity up there right now? We'll be heading up to Sabaskong this weekend. We'll try and stop in and say hi. Good to see some new owners up there. Obabikon camp is a beautiful area.

What else have you heard about muskie reports?

Thanks,

Jeff
Posted 8/7/2007 10:16 AM (#269005 - in reply to #268991)

Today is an AWESOME looking musky day. We had a good rain early 4AM and now it's cloudy with low winds. The water clearity is decent for this time of year. There's a sligh algea bloom which is expected, so the water has some green. Still, not nearly as bad as I've seen it this time of year.

Musky wise... there's been a TON of "follows" with a few hits. So when you do get one on... don't blow it :). This weather might turn them on, so we'll see. If I can get my dang taxes finished, I might sneak out and cast for a while!
obabikon
Posted 8/7/2007 10:17 AM (#269006 - in reply to #269005)
Subject: Re: Obabikon Bay Camp

That was me again... sorry my comp keeps logging me out. I'll just have to remember to make sure I login everytime I post.
Hinch
Posted 8/7/2007 10:47 AM (#269011 - in reply to #268991)

Sweet! Looks like a somewhat stable weather pattern this next week. Early forecast shows somewhat light winds. Hopefully the fish cooperate. We are staying on an island just East of Bluffy island.

Good to hear the bloom isn't too bad. Keep those reports coming!
Obabikon
Posted 8/7/2007 6:37 PM (#269077 - in reply to #268991)

Two large fish were hooked today, one was seen as being a musky. The other was an "unidentified creature". I only had two guests fishing today because of a turnover. However, the musky suprisingly were both hooked in the afternoon. We had great cloud cover all morning, and sunny skies after lunch. This is not the first occurance of the "sunny bite" in the last week or two. So, if you're in the area, just because it's sunny, doesn't mean you shouldn't be getting your casts in!
Hinch
Posted 8/8/2007 5:20 PM (#269209 - in reply to #268991)

How was the bloom today? Hopefully the pea soup holds off a while...
obabikon
Posted 8/8/2007 7:39 PM (#269221 - in reply to #268991)

No big fish today, infact no muskie sightings, but here's what else happened. Today on the lake was a little windy. Wind out of the South east and threatened to rain all day (but didn't). SE wind makes it tougher to fish, as the fish seem to prefer one out of the West or SW. However, a cooler of slab crappies was caught in a weed bed in Carribou lake (on the North East side of Obabikon Lake). Another boat had a large mouth bass, a small mouth, 2 northern, 3walleye, a sagar, several perch, and some crappie... they even boated a rock bass. That covered just about everything except a muskie. It was an interesting cooler. The algea bloom was still light, none of the THICK SLIME that comes, but I wouldn't bet on it staying away the entire month of August.
Hinch
Posted 8/9/2007 5:28 PM (#269358 - in reply to #268991)

That's great to hear about the crappies. We have headed up your way in October for some of those slabs. We headed up into Obabikon lake and did ok. I heard there were quite a few caught off the docks there at the resort as well. Is that true?
obabikon
Posted 8/9/2007 5:47 PM (#269364 - in reply to #268991)

Actually, yes. You can catch a rediculas number of crappie off the dock in the summer time. However, in the fall, they all head for deeper water. The "elbow" in Obabikon Lake is one of the most popular spots in the area for crappie in the fall time! Actually, for Musky too. Trolling for musky in that same area can produce a lot of action.
Hinch
Posted 8/9/2007 7:48 PM (#269383 - in reply to #268991)

I guess that makes sense. Follow the food. We've fished the elbow and caught pike, but never thought about muskies. Maybe this fall. How shallow is the narrow chute getting into Obabikon lake? We've had to navigate by pushing off rocks with a paddle more than once...

Jeff
obabikon
Posted 8/9/2007 8:57 PM (#269395 - in reply to #269383)

The narrows aren't too bad right now... however, make sure you stick to the WEST side... hug that shoreline, and you'll be fine. Infact, leave only 6inches or so between the boat and dry land.
esox50
Posted 8/9/2007 9:20 PM (#269398 - in reply to #269395)

Fond memories portaging through from Obab Bay into the lake. Your resort is the yellow one, correct? Haven't been into Obabikon Bay in several years despite fishing Miles, central Sab, Wisakode, and Burrows for the past six years! Do you have a website? Look forward to more reports (that's a special place up there!!!!)!
obabikon
Posted 8/10/2007 6:24 AM (#269423 - in reply to #268991)

The website is still under construction, but there's quite a bit of info up on it all ready. Feel free to check it out www.obabikon.com! Yeah, we have yellow cabins. It's a really neat part of the lake, and I think it gets ignored by alot of fisherman for some reason.
esox50
Posted 8/10/2007 7:05 AM (#269428 - in reply to #269423)

Jared,

PM sent.
obabikon
Posted 8/10/2007 6:37 PM (#269500 - in reply to #268991)

The algea bloom is here. That nasty green slime that ruins visual fishing is definately here... We're hoping it doesn't last too long, and it hasn't over taken ALL the bays. But, once it's here, I start recommending small island and reef fishing. Stay away from fishing the coves...

Last night we had an aweful lightning storm... poured down rain, and then got hot and muggy during the day. Probably not the best day for fishing.
obabikon
Posted 8/16/2007 6:12 PM (#270311 - in reply to #268991)

Hey guys, just so you know, I haven't forgotten. I've lacked muskie fishermen in camp the last week or so... very little to report, other than the cold front came through two days ago, and almost all the fishing has slowed to a crawl.
Hinch
Posted 8/18/2007 4:56 PM (#270520 - in reply to #268991)

Just got back from LOTW, and the fishing is slow! We raised some brutes, but no takers. Our biggest boated was 40". The bloom was present, but not terrible (yet). We saw fish holding on a variety of structure. Rocks, rock/weed combo, and weedy bays all had fish at different times. Bucktails worked best, with jerkbaits and topwaters following.

Walleye fishing was tough as well. We scratched a few together as well as some nice 13.5" crappies.

Jeff
Musky Brian
Posted 8/18/2007 6:39 PM (#270532 - in reply to #270520)

I also must report some slow fishing in the Nestor Falls area, found scattered fish but simply could not piece any patterns together whatsoever. Talked to some guys who were contacting more fish then me, but overall a general consensus of "slow' for that area of LOTW at least.

I did do very well to the North in Trout Water however, much more predictable locations held fish.
Obabikon
Posted 8/28/2007 5:54 AM (#272063 - in reply to #268991)

Two monsters caught yesterday, and another big fish the evening before...

47" caught in thick weeds in the Obabikon area
44" caught off a reef in Obabikon Bay
42" caught in miles bay (I believe sand beach with big rocks close)
Obabikon
Posted 8/31/2007 10:03 AM (#272658 - in reply to #268991)

Sorry it's been a while, but here goes.

The past week the camp has been packed, so I haven't had a free minute. The fishing has been spectacular.

A group of 7 went out yesterday and caught 97 crappie in Obabikon lake (not in the elbow yet, in trees). Another group brought back 55. So, all in all, yesterday was a crappie day!!!

On the week, walleyes have been easy to catch. Lots of 17inchers and several 24-26 range... still on the humps, but the big ones are starting to move into the weedbeds!

Muskie fishing has been a ton of fun. I have one group of 6 muskie guys that were distracted by the crappie fishing yesterday, however the previous two they'd boated 6 ski's. Not a ton... however ZERO under 40 inches... let the big dogs eat!

Anyhow, big pike fishing is good, weather's fantastic, and if you're on the lake, feel free to stop by Obabikon and say hello.

Hinch
Posted 9/5/2007 5:00 PM (#273429 - in reply to #268991)

Just curious what you refer to as catching them in "the trees"? I've fished up there before, and haven't seen too many fallen trees in the water.. Am I missing something?? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Jeff
Obabikon
Posted 9/5/2007 8:58 PM (#273476 - in reply to #268991)

That would be sunken trees.
1700SS
Posted 9/6/2007 7:13 AM (#273519 - in reply to #268991)

Hinch,

You have to know the right people, to find out where they are.

Brett
obabikon
Posted 9/6/2007 7:41 AM (#273525 - in reply to #268991)

There are a ton of trees that have been weighted down and put in specific locations on the lake. Similar to stake beds, they provide great structure to attract crappies this time of the year.
Hinch
Posted 9/8/2007 7:34 PM (#273932 - in reply to #268991)

My bad,

I've fished up there in the fall at the elbow with good luck. I guess I need to get to know the "In" crowd up there during the summer...hahaha

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)