Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Future Studies

Future Studies
OptionResults
Heat Shock/High Water Temp Effects
Barotrauma
General Physiological Effects of Catch-and-Release Angling on Muskies
Spatial Relations/Ecology
Physiological Energetics
Add your own option:
This is a multiple choice poll.

Message Subject: Future Studies
esox50
Posted 8/3/2007 12:40 PM (#268473)
Subject: Future Studies

I'd like to see people's opinions on what types of future muskie-related studies they would like to see completed. I have several ideas including physiological effects of catch-and-release angling on muskies, effects of barotrauma (bringing fish from deep to shallow in a quick amount of time), temperature effects, and spatial relations among other things.

Feel free to add an option to the poll for a study you would like to see conducted.
sworrall
Posted 8/3/2007 5:26 PM (#268533 - in reply to #268473)
Subject: Re: Future Studies

Some of what you post about has already been done to a degree. Ternt.edu should have some stuff for you, I think. Been awhile since I surfed the web for that material.

I'll see what I can dig up. I know I read a Canadian article about angling stress and mortality last winter...
esox50
Posted 8/3/2007 6:45 PM (#268540 - in reply to #268473)

I'd be very interested in seeing what you've got, Steve, particularly the Canadian article on angling stress and mortality. Curt Wagner has done extensive research on how different strains react/adapt to varying water temperatures within a given system (by using radio telemetry), as part of the larger Project Green Gene.

I'd specifically be interested in plasma glucose levels (stress indicators) and other hormone levels as they fluctuate (or not) given varying degrees of angling stress. Place a fish in a respirometer and you would be able to read cardiac output, stroke volume, etc. which could yield some interesting insight into their life history and, obviously, how angling effects heart rate, etc.

I have access to several databases and have yet to come across these issues as they pertain to muskies. I'll do some searching myself and post what I can find.

Edited by esox50 8/3/2007 7:07 PM
sworrall
Posted 8/6/2007 3:02 PM (#268878 - in reply to #268473)

I think the data you are looking for is way more in depth than what I have seen. Would be fascinating stuff for sure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)