Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Now, we're on the Gravy Wagon with Biscuit wheels!" - scott fletcher
- (Added by: mikie)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> why wont they spin

Message Subject: why wont they spin
suitcase
Posted 7/24/2007 11:17 AM (#266796)
Subject: why wont they spin

hey guys, what causes the blades on a bucktail not to want to spin and how can you fix them? i am noticing it on some double 8's that i made and on showgirls as well. thanks a lot - suit
Posted 7/24/2007 1:26 PM (#266828 - in reply to #266796)
Subject: RE: why wont they spin

its you not the bait. reel as soon as the bait hits the water
muskyme
Posted 7/24/2007 2:25 PM (#266853 - in reply to #266796)

Sometimes the spacing between body (number and/or size of beads) and blades can make a difference...At least I have found that to be true with baits I have made...As well as what guest said
Posted 7/24/2007 3:29 PM (#266872 - in reply to #266796)

2 much paint on the blade dosnt help
Fishboy
Posted 7/24/2007 3:31 PM (#266874 - in reply to #266796)

Hey suitcase

Check the post a couple down from this one on the main page titled "Double #10".

I have been having the same problem, diagnosis "Blades To Heavy". They wobble like a spoon becouse they are to heavy to flip over the top of the bait!
chico
Posted 7/24/2007 5:32 PM (#266903 - in reply to #266796)

It is your bait, ok you can reel like a thing possessed as soon as it hits the water but that is soooo limiting on all manner of presentations.

An awful lot of people can try to make their own version of a bait and it almost works, but there is no substitute for experience when making baits, I have my favorite spinnerbait maker who quite honestly makes the best out there, if I recieved one of his and it didn't spin, he'd fly over and hand me another.
Pikiespawn
Posted 7/25/2007 5:38 PM (#267101 - in reply to #266796)

If you dont have any of Voights baits, you should!!
Xtreme Quality and Heavy Duty.
Troyz.
Posted 7/31/2007 2:34 PM (#267980 - in reply to #267101)

Check your clevices? The won't spin or just need jump starting.

Troy
Posted 8/1/2007 4:13 PM (#268156 - in reply to #266796)

Try a couple of things with your designs:

1) move weight towards the front of the bait by using solid beads and heavier bodies

2) try putting a large bead under the clevis

Some blade designs flat out spin better than others. Some designs will never spin well, even if you reel right away, etc.
Fishboy
Posted 8/2/2007 12:52 PM (#268292 - in reply to #266796)

Been there and done that.

First, I removed the front bead thinking it may be slowing things down.

I already had a lot of weight forward.

Second, I started cranking as soon as it hit the water.

Third, even burning it as fast as it will go the blades still hanges up a few times every cast.

Fouth, I had two blades and I took one off to see if that would help.

Fifth, I have moved the blades more forward just in case it may be hitting the skirt.

I have tore down and re-built this thing four times now....................and it still runs like.......................um you know!

I still think it is the blade, I had some nickle one's on back order and just canceled those. I still say they are too heavy or cupped wrong to turn well.

I have used the same design with a lighter weight blade and have NO PROBLEMS???

If some one can get the .040 #9 magnum Colorade from Stamina running right you are a better person than I because I give up.

Posted 8/2/2007 2:57 PM (#268314 - in reply to #268292)

That is a tough blade to get to spin, yes. Try a very light bucktail overall. Hollow beads in the front, 1/2 ounce of lead under the tail. Put enough beads between the clevis and the tail to keep the blade only touching the beads. Use a 3/16" bead under a large clevis. Those blades have small holes in them, which might force you to use a clevis that is too small. Make sure you use a clevis that provides a lot of room to spin on the shaft. A #6 is usually the best unless you're using wire heavier than .051".
Posted 8/2/2007 5:44 PM (#268335 - in reply to #268314)

.040=buoy weights
ChinWhiskers
Posted 8/9/2007 3:46 PM (#269340 - in reply to #266796)
Subject: Re: why wont they spin

Never put a bead in frount of a clevis, put a small bead behind the clevis, make sure the Clevis isnt bent, use a plier's to flatten the blade out some. If this doesn't help thow it away and buy a Ghost Tail.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)