Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Salmon

Message Subject: Salmon
MuskyHopeful
Posted 8/4/2007 9:22 PM (#268652)
Subject: Salmon

I know, not the catchiest title, but it was a pretty catchiest SalmonFirst Outing. I thought about naming this thread "When the water's too hot", or "You Can't Find These in MN," or "Who says the WI DNR can't manage a fishery?" or "He's Holding That Wrong, That Fish is Dead," or "Some A-Hole Cut Me Off," but in the end decided that a simple "Salmon" more than suffices, and in the long run would be a bit more positive, and God knows we can use a little positivity here during the dog days of Summer.

Last night and early this morning the First Annual SalmonFirst Outing took place out of Racine. Man oh man, it hurts so good. It officially, or unofficially, depending I guess on how you look at it, began on Friday night when I motored out of the Racine launch area at about 8:00 pm with my favorite flatlanders, Andrew and Nikki Golden. Our Musky/SalmonFirst brethren, Chuck Nelson, Tuffy1, Lenda, and MuskyTime were already working the waters in what I consider with some bias, the greatest of the Great Lakes.

Slamr probably drew the short straw for the first part of the outing, because, to be honest, he's pretty much on his own when I get a chance to sit in a boat and chat amiably with his wife. We caught one fish, and had a couple others that did not hook up long enough for battle. Chuck and his group of miscreants were somewhat more successful on Friday, but I'll leave their Friday stories for them to report, as I was not a witness. Around 11:45 pm we adjourned to the launch area for a modest sandwich buffet.

At that time we were joined by Larry, a WalleyeFirst member who'd been astute enough to have responded to Slamr's post in that venue. I was transferred to the Chuck Nelson crew, Tuffy1 made the short jaunt home to get his boat, and at 1:30 am the three boats headed back out into the gloaming to catch more shiny fish.

As Chuck Nelson predicted, the Salmon were hungry this morning. We had seven nice fish in Chuck's coffin size cooler by about 4:30 am, and Tuffy1 and Slamr were also enjoying success. Then it got much more funner.

At that time, the unflappable MuskyTime began fighting what would become the biggest fish of the outing at 20+ pounds. He would battle this hard pulling fish for about 30 minutes. As he slowly worked this shiny beauty to the boat, we had no fewer than five other strikes. Chuck landed two fish, and I landed two fish before the big one was in the net. Both Chuck and I were holding two rods with fish taking line at separate times. When MuskyTime's fish was finally unhooked, I was driving the boat, we had just one of eight rods still dragging a bait, and there were three other 10+- pound kings laying on the floor of the boat. You would have though a bomb went off. Absolutely incredible.

We caught three more to limit out just before 6:00 am, the final fish so eager to be caught it hit a bait while Chuck was holding the rod in his hand and still getting it set.

Tuffy1 and Slamr also had successful mornings, and by 8:30 we were BS'ing at the launch picnic tables. The fish were then slashed up and bagged for later consumption. They can tell their stories, (Slamr and Joel, not the fish, their story telling days are over), if they feel the urge.

This truly was a great experience. Huge thanks from me to Chuck and Andrew. There's a lot of work goes into this multi-line trolling thing so a fat person like me can reap the rewards. I also want to thank Joel for be being so tall and skinny, and for bugging the heck out us on the radio for the majority of the morning.

Next time any of you are feeling the summer bummers and you see an outing like this is being organized, I stongly suggest you take advantage of the opportunity. It's a lot more fun than arguing on the internet.

Below are a few SalmonFirst Outing pics.

Kevin

My arms are tired. Glow Wonderbread.

Edited by MuskyHopeful 8/4/2007 9:27 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(0804salmon 006.jpg)

(0804salmon 008.jpg)

(0804salmon 010.jpg)

(0804salmon 012.jpg)

(0804salmon 013.jpg)

(0804salmon 014.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0804salmon 006.jpg (97KB - 78 downloads)
Attachments 0804salmon 008.jpg (113KB - 91 downloads)
Attachments 0804salmon 010.jpg (99KB - 93 downloads)
Attachments 0804salmon 012.jpg (88KB - 68 downloads)
Attachments 0804salmon 013.jpg (106KB - 76 downloads)
Attachments 0804salmon 014.jpg (76KB - 80 downloads)
MuskyStalker
Posted 8/4/2007 10:13 PM (#268658 - in reply to #268652)
Subject: Re: Salmon

Great pics! We have been hitting the Sheboygan piers at night casting for Silver kings with Bass tackle. 2 15# bright silver cruise misiles later, and I'm exhausted! It's like hooking a jet skie. I have a US Reel supercaster with close to 300 yards of 10# Fireline, and she nearly spooled me! Good times. Anyone want to meet up some night?
c44hmusky
Posted 8/4/2007 10:24 PM (#268660 - in reply to #268652)

Nice fish Kevin. I was out with Slamr on Thursday night and had a blast. I'm sure he told you about the triple, talk about a chinese fire drill!!! I was covered in slime and scales from head to toe.

Mike
toothn'nail
Posted 8/5/2007 4:49 AM (#268670 - in reply to #268652)
Subject: RE: Salmon

Looks to be a great catch & time had by all. Same thing over here on the Michigan side. Really the only question mark is how long is it going to take to limit out. Fast & furious right now. Freezer is full.

Salmon fishing sure is the polar opposite of Musky fishing. Catch & keep a bunch of eager eating machines vs catch & release a finicky, moody fish of 10,000 casts. Variety IS the spice of life, though.
Crash_McGolden
Posted 8/5/2007 8:12 AM (#268683 - in reply to #268652)

I can't pretend to have any stories to tell, since I slept through the second half of the trip, but the first half was complemented by the gorgeous view of the night sky, complete with shooting stars. Living in the 'burbs, you don't ever see the stars like that. And better yet, we're grilling salmon tonight. Truth be told, though, I prefer muskie fishing, as I like to actively be doing something other than driving around looking for fish.

http://salmon.outdoorsfirst.com/board/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?a...

Crash McG
sworrall
Posted 8/5/2007 9:36 AM (#268693 - in reply to #268652)

I wasn't able to attend because of WORK and the undeniably much more pleasant fact my daughter is visiting us all the way from Colorado. Chuck, being the sort of guy he has always been noted my 'salmon deficit' and distress, and dropped a cooler of fillets off at the house while Sue and I were out beating up the crappies for a fish dinner Sunday with my daughter. THANKS CHUCK!!!!!

I need to complete my transition of the OutdoorsFIRST Giant Jacuzzi and get out there with the crew.
MuskyTime
Posted 8/5/2007 11:41 AM (#268710 - in reply to #268652)

It was a great time with all! Friday night was incredible with the light winds, clear sky and warm air. The company was great and I learned an awful lot about salmon fishing from captain Chuck. Friday night between 7pm and 11pm we boated 2 Browns, 1 Steelhead and 4 kings. The fish shut down about 10pm but we were marking fish all over the place so Chuck knew when we came out after our dinner break that they would go crazy. After a great dinner break (Thanks Kevin!!) we returned out to fish around 2am. Popped a couple fish here and there at first but about 4am it got real crazy! Fire drill galore with several doubles and triples. Chuck proclaimed before we started fishing that we would have our limit by 7 or 8 but he was wrong! We were done by 6am and cleaning fish by 8am!

Aside from sleep deprivation and a sore left wrist, it was an awesome time!

Thanks Chuck!

Nice meeting Kevin, Andrew, Nikki, Josh, Joel and Larry.

Ed spoerl
RiverMan
Posted 8/5/2007 1:56 PM (#268724 - in reply to #268670)

toothn'nail - 8/5/2007 4:49 AM
Salmon fishing sure is the polar opposite of Musky fishing. Catch & keep a bunch of eager eating machines vs catch & release a finicky, moody fish of 10,000 casts. Variety IS the spice of life, though.

The salmon fishing you guys experienced is non-typical from my experience here in the Northwest. Salmon can be extremely easy to catch just like musky can be on the right day. But overall salmon fishing is very much like musky fishing in that it takes alot of patience and persistance to catch them......and that's what makes them so great. Last fall myself and two good friends caught 10 chinook in 6 days of fishing. The year before we had 10 chinook on some days by 8:00 in the morning. Generally though we consider one or two salmon in a day to be "good fishing".

Fishing is fun regardless of the species. I love catching anything that pulls hard whether it be salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, musky, catfish, etc. They are all really cool!

Congratulations on your salmon trip!!!! You guys nailed em!

RM
Slamr
Posted 8/5/2007 8:12 PM (#268763 - in reply to #268652)

I just wish more people had come out for this one! We were small in numbers, but had a great time none the less. I think my boat was out of positive mojo from Thursdays action, but we did manage to get into some fish.

-Thanks again to MuskyHopeful for being the cold cut buffet master, as well as fun in the boat.
-Thanks to my wife for being such a good sport even when the cold overnight was kinda kickin ya!
-Thanks to Chuck for the continual teaching and help in getting on fish.
-Thanks to Larry Eaton for keeping such a sharp eye on the rods, even though I was half asleep a good portion of the morning!
-Thanks to the Skinny Tin Can, for keeping me frustrated pretty much all morning with your calls of success. You might not have heard me yell into the night "stop calling me!!!".
-The crazy old lady in a nightgown who at 1:15AM came up to us asking "which way is west?". Who then walked south, clad still, only in a pink nightgown, slippers and a handbag.

Well, gonna go lay on the couch now, pretty full from dinner (salmon in mango salsa).....and still smiling that not only did we catch some fish, but that we had the distinction of being the first OutdoorsFIRST Outing that had to call the cops, but this time just to help the nice old lady who might still be walking South.

(salmonfirst11.jpg)

(salmonfirst8.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments salmonfirst11.jpg (290KB - 81 downloads)
Attachments salmonfirst8.jpg (152KB - 83 downloads)
C_Nelson
Posted 8/6/2007 8:12 AM (#268810 - in reply to #268652)

Oh, what a great time it was. Finally meeting and fishing with Joel after talking with him for hours at a time about salmon fishing. Meeting and fishing with Josh after talking with and pm'ing him as well. I was able to share the boat with Kevin and get him some nice shiny silver fish and also enjoying his sandwich spread. Spending time with great friend Ed and getting him out after a 33 year hiatus from salmon fishing. Getting together with Andrew and Mrs. Golden is always a pleasure. Meeting Larry, a walleye fisherman who has done this sort of thing on a smaller scale for walleye. This was a truely enjoyable outing.

Too bad we did not meet the person who likes little fingers, but will use a Suick as a substitute. He must have had a Weagle for sleeping as sound as he did and getting up too late for the outing.

Andrew needs a marine radio so he can defend himself when we are giving him a hard time and he does not even know it.

Friday night started out with some decent success and the guys catching some decent fish. Saturday morning was unbelievable. With only three boats working the area, we had it all to ourselves. It was nice to see boats blow by us and work inside of us; we had no issues with others in the way.

Hats off to all in attendance for not falling asleep between trips. This night stuff is what it is all about. Great fun, catching fish and watching shooting stars. It is a little different from what I am used to with all the big city lights. Where I normally go, I am usually at least 8 miles and sometimes 10-15 miles from any city lights.

For those that are considering the outing for next year, I hope you decide to join us. God willing, I will be there again next year to stick a couple of fish. It is simply an enjoyable time to share with fellow anglers.

Good fishing,

Chuck
aka: "Playin' Hooky"

Edited by C_Nelson 8/6/2007 8:26 AM
tuffy1
Posted 8/8/2007 2:10 PM (#269174 - in reply to #268652)

I finally got the pic of Josh and my fish posted. Good times were had indeed.

(Josh and Joel.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Josh and Joel.jpg (118KB - 86 downloads)
THA4
Posted 8/8/2007 7:47 PM (#269223 - in reply to #268652)

mmmmmm
gotta love salmon!!
Tiger
Posted 8/9/2007 10:57 AM (#269305 - in reply to #268652)

nice,,,,
we caught several steelhead along with a limit of walleye last saturday ,,,fishin lake erie out of ashtubula,
Capt. Dave with fishin frenzy charters was a fabulous guide. Thnaks Capt.dave ! see ya next August
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)