Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Down-East Salty 11/10 modification.

Message Subject: Down-East Salty 11/10 modification.
ESOX Maniac
Posted 6/18/2007 9:35 AM (#261296)
Subject: Down-East Salty 11/10 modification.

I was just was down at Dorn's in Madison on Saturday picking up some last minute trolling stuff for splake/lakers/muskies for the trip to Canada on Friday. Saw they had some Down-East'rs. Picked up a Salty 11 for my Skeeter-already have one mounted on one of the rails.

Got home & thought I'd try it out on my new KT Professional Edge 9'rs (The Twin's). Well the Down-east wouldn't fully seat. The reel seat trigger was hitting. Arrrgh- then it dawned on me- what the heck do us guys have have power tools for?

Sat down disassembled the Salty rod holder - very easy to do! A little work with the bench grinder & The Twin's now fit very nicely. Here's a photo of the results. I left one side original for smaller rods.

Have fun!

Al

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Down Easter Salty 10 Mod 1.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Down Easter Salty 10 Mod 1.gif (80KB - 125 downloads)
Posted 6/18/2007 11:54 AM (#261316 - in reply to #261296)
Subject: RE: Down-East Salty 11/10 modification.

I picked up a pair of Down Easters from Trojan Tackle (out of Canada) at the MN. Musky Show. they had the trigger area opened up as well as having the jaws dipped in a plactic material - they look really nice!

I also picked up a pair of adaptors from them to mount the Down Easters on my Big Jon swivels.
Mertot
Posted 6/18/2007 11:29 PM (#261422 - in reply to #261296)
Subject: Re: Down-East Salty 11/10 modification.

Nice looking work Al!

The problem I ran into with my salty's was with center"bail release" button on my Okuma FI400 reel; I was using the live bait clicker leaving the bail open dragging a sucker and the way the rod/reel seats in the salty (great for trolling lures of course with the bail shut) it would trip the bail shut. We just checked the reel periodicly to ensure the button was depressed but for any serious fall sucker fishing I expect we'll have to rely on our older model Ambassedors with the bail button on the top right side of the reel!

Any othe tricks or solutions would surely be welcomed and appreciated.

Edited by Mertot 6/18/2007 11:31 PM
tuffy1
Posted 6/20/2007 7:32 AM (#261575 - in reply to #261422)
Subject: Re: Down-East Salty 11/10 modification.

You can also just put rods (or reels like the calcuttas and Okumas) in at the foregrip. For suckers, that would work, not sure if it puts bad stress on the rods though for trolling.

Nice modification!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)