Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Who sells/makes the best custom rods?
 
Message Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?

Posted 3/25/2002 9:28 PM (#1368)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Maybe some of you guys can help me out?I am looking to get a custom /special rod built but having trouble locating a builder!Just can`t find a rod stock,what I am looking for! Any idea`s? Thanx Jeff

Posted 3/25/2002 10:04 PM (#27275)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Jeff
what type of rod are you looking for?

Posted 3/25/2002 11:48 PM (#27276)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


My friend Ryan had a Thorne Bros custom and a Sage, I should call him and ask about them.

Posted 3/25/2002 11:57 PM (#27277)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Thorne Bros. makes the best (that I have seen) custom rods. However you're going to have a tough time getting a Sage blank though. Sage no longer makes muskie blanks, only fly rods now. Thornes does however have the Diamondback blank, which I believe Greg Thorne designed. I have one of these in the heavy bucktail rod and will never own another rod that is not a Diamondback. Thornes will make the rod exactly how you want it. If you can I would suggest actually going there as you can see each blank that they have and tell them exactly where you want it cut at.

Posted 3/26/2002 5:35 AM (#27278)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Renegade,heres what I am looking for,7`6" to 8`0",fast-tip,12"cork handle,balanced for a 5601 C-4,light blank,carboly tip,for small/medium size baits!This rod will probably be a little lighter then most would use!Maybe there is a stock rod out there like this I have not seen yet?I like the Thornes idea,but its a long way from home! Jeff
P.S-Have tried to E-mail Steve at G&S,but they keep coming back!

Posted 3/26/2002 7:44 AM (#27279)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Try Frank's Custom Rods. His number is: 630-483-8055
He makes an outstanding rod.

Posted 3/26/2002 12:00 PM (#27280)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Give Brett a call at Thorne Bros.
They make all of my rod's (even Steve Van Lieshout's has one now) and I feel there the best as far as standing behind what they make.
There is nothing like having a rod made just for you.

Posted 3/26/2002 2:00 PM (#27281)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


My new rod is awesome. It had to be 7'2" long just to get my whole name on it! Thanks Bill........you turkey!

Posted 3/26/2002 3:57 PM (#27282)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


I could make you a custom St. Croix for up to about 40% off retail, and nothing over, depending on what you want. If you're at all interested, my email is
[email protected]

Thanks

Posted 3/26/2002 8:37 PM (#27283)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Fig Rig. Kevin Figgins builds a beautiful rod, to your specs, and balances it, also. [:sun:]

Posted 3/26/2002 10:15 PM (#27284)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Any. User the $60.00 is for the cork since it is so expensive. Correct me if I'm wrong (I have been known to be wrong before), but I don't believe that the St.Croix rod is an unconditional lifetime warranty. Don't get me wrong St.Croix makes an excellent rod and I own several and they are good rods, but not quite as good as my Diamondback.

Posted 3/27/2002 9:18 AM (#27285)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Anonymous,
While St Croix's and Lamiglas are great rod's, having a rod custom build to YOUR own specs cant be beat for any price! Thorne's Diamond back rod's run only about $250.00.
Having your own handle length or diameter, rod length and tip action is a nice thing to have somtime's.

Posted 3/28/2002 7:01 PM (#27286)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Jeff- you might want to try someone in your own backyard. Tomorrow River Rod&Reel ph.# 366-7105 Don't know too much about them,but have seen several articals written about them in local publications. From all I've heard they make a quality product to the customers specs.

Posted 3/29/2002 8:43 AM (#27287)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


FYI, diamond back blanks are made by cortland from cortland new york. mk

Posted 3/29/2002 9:30 AM (#27288)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Hiya,
For me, two main choices for custom rods:

Thorne Brothers in Fridley. As others have mentioned, they do super work. I have several TB customs. They don't even look at me wierd when I ask for the goofy handles I have put on my rods (probably used to it from Jack Burns and Dan Klis I suppose...)

Another is Dadson's in Addison Il. Scott and Sean Birmingham make some tremendous rods, and are both super guys. I still have a rod Sean made for me when I was 15 and we worked together at Camp Fish, and I haev a friend who owns several of their rods.

Cheers,
RK

Posted 3/29/2002 10:17 AM (#27289)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


For good St.Croix Blank Custom Rods and Custom Orders go to www.muskiebaytackle.com,Ray builds the best quality rod around.
Capt. Larry

Posted 3/29/2002 10:26 AM (#27290)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


i sure agree w/ rk. the berminghams made awesome sticks! they spend alot of time asking exactly which lures will be thrown with it, how you work the lures, and then choose the blank. then htey get into the fine points of customizing the rest of it to a "T". i have 2 of them, a 7'6" loomis bucktail rod and a 7' loomis 'beefstick' for 10" jakes and believers, and big bulldawgs. awesome!
steve

Posted 3/29/2002 12:49 PM (#27291)
Subject: Who sells/makes the best custom rods?


Thanx guys,I have tried to contact both Figrig and Thornes with spec`s and have NOT GOT ANY REPLIES!So I will check some others(great thought on Tommorrow river)and if all else fails Rob Meyers showed me a 7'6"Avid at the point show,it was sweet too!Thanx again! Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)