Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Tuning a topraider

Message Subject: Tuning a topraider
Grass
Posted 6/5/2007 12:59 PM (#259500)
Subject: Tuning a topraider

Question for all of the topraider fans out there.

Do you leave Top raider tail in its 90 degree position? or do you bend/ cup them to try to get more pop out of them? The tail on all of my other tail rotating top waters is cupped which seems to produce a better sound.

I know the Topraider is a great bait, but do the tails need to be tuned? or do you throw them right out of the package?

Grass,
dhacker
Posted 6/5/2007 1:01 PM (#259501 - in reply to #259500)
Subject: Re: Tuning a topraider

I have thrown all of mine right out of the package without any problems - I probably have 10 of them.
muskyboy
Posted 6/5/2007 1:16 PM (#259502 - in reply to #259500)

Ditto, 90 degrees as is works fine
AWH
Posted 6/5/2007 3:06 PM (#259513 - in reply to #259500)

I've never found a need to tune any of my Top Raiders, even after many fish on them.

Aaron
JCJ
Posted 6/5/2007 3:58 PM (#259521 - in reply to #259500)

often times after several fish or banging it on a rock the weight inside will come loose. This will cause the bait to flip over on the retrieve. The only way to fix that is by drilling a hole and reseting the weight. (almost worth just buying new ones)

Other than that problem, most will run true out of the box and if they dont, just bend the line tie a hair in whatever direction that will offset the problem.

JJ
muskie_man
Posted 6/5/2007 4:15 PM (#259522 - in reply to #259500)

I tinkered around with mine and i have found that by adding a small bell sinker or casting sinker to the front hook split ring, it will make the topraider run a little lower in the water causing it to make a louder deeper pop. Make sure not to go to heavy on the sinker cause it will make the front end sink to far into the water. I had one topraider without a sinker on it and another one with the sinker on it and threw back to back casts with each, and the sinker one had a completely distinct sound to it.
muskynightmare
Posted 6/6/2007 12:23 AM (#259596 - in reply to #259522)

muskie_man - 6/5/2007 4:15 PM

I tinkered around with mine and i have found that by adding a small bell sinker or casting sinker to the front hook split ring, it will make the topraider run a little lower in the water causing it to make a louder deeper pop. Make sure not to go to heavy on the sinker cause it will make the front end sink to far into the water. I had one topraider without a sinker on it and another one with the sinker on it and threw back to back casts with each, and the sinker one had a completely distinct sound to it.

Great idea, but take it one step further:
Coat that sinker in your favorite powder paint (I like granite dust). Do it in chartruse, Red, whatever, to add a splash of color, or contrast, to your bait. You can do the same to your dawgs so you can smoke them it, without them cork-screwing on the way back in. You will be pleased with the results.
If you cannot find granite dust locally, PM me. I can hook you up with the owner.

Edited by muskynightmare 6/6/2007 12:25 AM
C.Painter
Posted 6/7/2007 8:38 AM (#259811 - in reply to #259596)

Change out the back hook to a 7/0

Gives you a larger gap so the prop won't interfer with the hook plus it gets the bait to ride lower with a nice deeper plop.....

Cory
MuskieMedic
Posted 6/10/2007 12:21 AM (#260179 - in reply to #259500)

I'm a huge Topraider fan. I have thrown them more than almost any other bait in the box over the years with great success. Interestingly I have found that some of my "quietest" ones have taken the most fish by far. I never tune them unless it gets bent bad on a snag or something.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)