Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Why Fluoro?

Message Subject: Why Fluoro?
RiverMan
Posted 6/2/2007 8:13 PM (#259100)
Subject: Why Fluoro?

I know that Fluoro is essentially invisible but is that the main reason to use it for leader material over mono of an equivalent strength?

If you are going to run an 80# or higher fluoro it seems like it would be so fat that you might as well just use a wire leader??????

RM
reelman
Posted 6/2/2007 11:33 PM (#259119 - in reply to #259100)
Subject: Re: Why Fluoro?

I have tried floro and to be honest I'm not impressed enough to use it over wire. For musky, and most fish for that matter, I think we way over think how smart they are. I don't believe a fish has enough reasoning power to figure out that the bait is attached to a line and a leader. Add to that they follow from behind I doubt they can even see the line or leader from behind the bait.

As for it's invisability floro can actually be to clear! It may have the same refractive quality as water but not stained water. In stained water it can actually "glow" because it's so clear. This is why you see more line companies coming out with tinted floro-carbon lines.

One advatage to floro over mono is it's abrasion resistance, yet it's still not as abrasion resistance as wire.

To each there own and if you like floro go right ahead and use it, I just can't understand why.
stdevos
Posted 6/3/2007 5:29 PM (#259186 - in reply to #259100)

I really like using a fluoro leader when throwing bulldawgs or any other bait that has a tendency of fouling mid air when casted. Fluoro leaders don't kink. Even seven strand leaders can get a major kink in it after pulling in a big jake when it's hooks are wrapped around the leader, so in my opinion they save me a lot of time straightening and changing leaders. The reason I use fluoro has nothing to do with it's invisibility.
RiverMan
Posted 6/3/2007 10:52 PM (#259217 - in reply to #259100)

Ok so how much stronger really is fluoro than mono? Several yrs back saltwater mag did a test on various lines and fluoro was the worst of the entire bunch for abrasion resistence.........has this changed? I guess what I am asking is if you aren't using fluoro for invisibility then why not just run 80# mono leader?

RM
jtroop
Posted 6/5/2007 5:04 PM (#259531 - in reply to #259100)

The only reason I use fluoro is that it sinks slightly slower so it fouls less in the hooks of my WTD's.
stdevos
Posted 6/5/2007 7:13 PM (#259554 - in reply to #259100)

My local tackle shop doesn't have mono musky leaders that I know, so fluoro is just easier to get for me. I've also never had a problem with a fluoro leader so I have no reason to seek out mono.

Sounds like some have a hateful grudge against fluorocarbon. Have you had one actually break?
reelman
Posted 6/5/2007 8:02 PM (#259557 - in reply to #259100)

NO grudge! I have tried them and never had them break although I did have them get pretty chewed up running cranks against rocks, enough so that I didn't trust it after even a couple casts. Solid wire would have still looked ,felt, and performed perfectly.
Ranger
Posted 6/8/2007 7:03 AM (#259977 - in reply to #259100)

I've been using 80# Climax flouro for years and have never had a failure. Single strand wire for gliders and flouro for everything else. It seems to me that flouro is great for Suicks because I get the most pronounced "death wobble on the rise" with the stuff. They also reduce downtime created by kinked single strand or braided wire leaders.

Maybe I should mention that I average only 10 - 15 muskies a year, most between 34" and 42" and I don't fish rocks much.
Posted 6/8/2007 7:10 AM (#259978 - in reply to #259977)

I use fluoro for casting cankbaits only. It can really bring back to life some of those older cranks that have lost their wiggle. Amazingly actually.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)