Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Manta glide baits...
 
Message Subject: Manta glide baits...

Posted 3/25/2002 7:45 PM (#2674)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


Just finished reading my copy of MH Magazine. The ad for Manta lures caught my attention. Anyone using them with good success? If so, the regular one or the shallow runner? Any color best (clear water)?

Posted 3/25/2002 8:31 PM (#27252)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


Good side to side action, hard to put a change up in there..but they work.

Posted 3/25/2002 10:24 PM (#27253)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


A very easy bait to work. They are definitely worthy of your tackle box.

Posted 3/26/2002 12:07 PM (#27254)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


Great bait, doesn't take much to work and produces. If you are going to purchase the bait, you might want to replace the 4/0 trebles to 5/0. Only reason is because it seems the diameter of the bait is too wide and the shank is too short on the 4/0 and the fish can use it to shake the hooks, this happened to me about 3 times before I changed to the 5/0, the fish would be just about ready to net and just turn to the side and shake the hook. With the 4/0 it also seemed a couple of my hooksets were not as strong. The 5/0 hooks move much more freely and have better hookup rates. It does not impede the action of the bait at all. And all of my fish on the 5/0 have had the hooks stuck in them. The manta can also get some real aggresive strikes if worked correctly.

-Phil Cali

Posted 3/26/2002 9:11 PM (#27255)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


Jason, I definitely have an overdose of nice pills on board. I am not even going to comment on your comment......[:devil:] [:bigsmile:]

Bye the way, are you running for office next year?

Posted 3/26/2002 9:12 PM (#27256)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


FSF,

Just keeping the peace...[:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/26/2002 9:49 PM (#27257)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


I just slack slap it and if I want a longer glide just twitch and make the second between the slack slapping longer and try to vary the rythm throughout the retrive.
I actually added a JB weight kit to it and now I can make it go deep too instead of staying near the top.. Works great! May i add is probaly the easiest glider to work.

Posted 3/27/2002 8:15 AM (#27258)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


I had a less than positive experience with the Manta. My problem was that I believe in a really SSSSLLLLLLOOOWWWWWW presentation with gliders, and the Manta tended to get hooked on the leader on the long pauses. Had it happen one twitch after a fat 39"+ came up to take a look....sorta turned me off to the bait. Feedback from pros I know that have used it is as that though it has a consistent action, it might be a little TOO consistent. The thinking is fish not only key on the side-to-side movement, but also the slight roll or slight movements other than the straight side to side (if that makes sense). Its a solid bait, but for me I'd rather go with a Cobbs, HR, Phantom, or Magic Maker....I kinda like the slight differences in wood baits vs. plastic!

Slamr

Posted 3/27/2002 8:16 PM (#27259)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


I found the Manta to be a great bait when I wanted to see fish follow to the boat. Everytime I tied one of those things on I would get a lazy follow. Never could get anything to him em though. I traded all my Manta's for Squirko's and Jerko's.

Dave

Posted 3/28/2002 8:07 AM (#27260)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


Otter,

With the manta, I believe you have to work it FAST. If you want a slow twichbait style of jerkbait stay away. I will say that I only saw 1 fish using it (it had hours) and no muskie hookups. Northerns on the other hand loved it! I had 2 of my top 3 northerns on it.

My $.02

Posted 3/28/2002 8:58 AM (#27261)
Subject: Manta glide baits...


Great bait and I fooled a few with it last year. Some fooled me too because they "threw the hooks", but I am going to try the suggestion of using larger hooks to see if that helps.
The one recommendation that I would make is to "T" your hooks. A buddy clued me onto this (JWB...) and it helps keep the hooks from fouling up the lure.
If you don't know what that is, what you need to do is basically flatten out the hooks along the belly so when you look at their profile they stick out to the sides instead of hugging the belly.
In my opinion this needs to be done to almost all jerk baits.
Buy one or two, you will like it. Great search bait!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)