|
|
| thanks for the help on this everyone.
steve |
|
| |
|
| I’ve thought about bringing a protractor and trig tables in the boat too. I’m pretty sure that the line curves, but you can probably guess at an approximate angle. I made myself a chart once for lure depth with line out and approximate line angles. I’ll see if I can find a way to attach it here. |
|
| |
|
| The chart has definite flaws, but it may be close on some of the shallower depths and shorter line lengths. |
|
| |
|
| . |
|
| |
|
| next, cool chart, what lure was used, what line and what was the trolling speed? Do you have this type of chart for various lues? thx much. |
|
| |
|
| The chart was meant to be used for any lure, line, or speed. The idea was to have the chart with me in the boat when trolling. Then hold it up parallel with the water, find an approximate line angle, read how much line is out on the reel, then figure out what depth the lure is at. Never really used it much because the line does not stay at an angle. There may be a way to factor in a percentage of line curve, then add the extra line to the length to get the desired depth, but that’s about when it became too much work.
At best it’s a rough estimate |
|
| |
|
| Well with muskie fishing I believe the lines to be almost straight because of the speed as well as the pull from the lures.
Now you can get different depths with different lines but not that big of a difference unless it's wire or leadcore.
Ever notice when you have a deepdiver on your line is going down at a much sharper angle then if you have a shallow runner. I also neve see a bend on my line when trolling spinnerbaits in the top 1 foot. [:sun:] |
|
| |
|
| Wow, that is a cool chart. Even if your line does curve or bow in the water, the error it produces from the chart value has to be fairly negligible on a percentage basis. NXT, you should mount that curve onto a level to ensure your ZERO line is plumb and this could be a neat gadget for idiots like me that have no clue how to troll. This is simple geometry!!! It will work no matter what size line, what kind of lure, or what speed you decide to troll. |
|
| |
|
| thanks for your help |
|
| |