Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> suckers in summer

Message Subject: suckers in summer
esoxnut
Posted 6/5/2007 10:02 PM (#259580)
Subject: suckers in summer

I recently purchased a Mania video on rigging suckers on his lift off rig. In the video he mentioned that he does not use suckers in summer, he only uses them in spring and fall. He said it seemed to him that Muskies dont really hit suckers much in summer. I dont use them in summer because I spend 99 percent of my time trolling. Do you guys agree with this. I was a little surprised myself.
John
ToddM
Posted 6/5/2007 10:08 PM (#259581 - in reply to #259580)
Subject: RE: suckers in summer

The problem is the suckers won't keep in the warm water. I have tried them in upper 60 degree water before and they croak in about an hour.
Mr Musky
Posted 6/5/2007 10:55 PM (#259591 - in reply to #259580)

Yeah exactly, they can be effective year around but they cant stay alive in that warm water temps. So it's not a matter of the muskys not wanting to eat them its a matter of keeping them swimmin! My personal water temp I go with for suckers is once the magic temp of 60 degrees and under hits and the lower the better!!!!!!

Mr Musky
Mr Musky
Posted 6/5/2007 10:58 PM (#259593 - in reply to #259580)

And by the way Pete does and excellent job showing how to properly hook up a lift off rig! Now by all means you dont have to go with the rubber band hook up you can do a wide variety of tactics such as a small jig head hooked through the nose or the 3 hook sysytem where the front "J" hook goes through the cheek skin. The main thing here is that it "lifts off" the sucker and buries into the corner of the musky's mouth. Very effective spring/fall.

Mr Musky
Justin Gaiche
Posted 6/6/2007 9:47 AM (#259649 - in reply to #259593)

I agree with not using suckers in high water temperatures. Only for cost purposes and covering water. I'd rather put the trolling motor on 7 and rip bulldawgs. We do rig bluegills often in the summer but they are disposable like fatheads and don't cost $5 a piece. We have caught some nice fish on suckers early in the summer. A friend of mine boated a 50.5" X 24" on a 12" sucker a couple of Junes ago in Vilas Co.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)