Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Musky Weight Calculators--revisited

Message Subject: Musky Weight Calculators--revisited
tcbetka
Posted 6/5/2007 6:50 AM (#259425)
Subject: Musky Weight Calculators--revisited

In the spirit of CPR, I wrote a Windows-based application for estimating the weight of a musky using the five known formulas: Wilkinson, Standard, Crawford, Casselman/Crossman and the (often maligned) Hannon variation. Many people downloaded it free of charge. There's a version for a desktop PC and a Windows-based PDA phone. Since it's been a year I thought there might be some people who haven't seen it before and might be interested in giving it a try, especially since there always seems to be a thread about the potential for a new WR fish to be caught.

So here it is. Just download the zipped file, extract it on your desktop and run it there. You can also drag the PDA version right onto your PDA, or use the Hot Sync feature on your phone. I have a Treo 750 and the application works very nicely--and goes on the boat with me with every trip on the water.

I would be interested in any comments or suggestions for making improvements to "version 2.0".

TB

Edited by tcbetka 6/5/2007 9:59 AM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Calculators.zip (23KB - 314 downloads)
Chasin50
Posted 6/5/2007 7:42 AM (#259430 - in reply to #259425)
Subject: Re: Musky Calculators--revisited

Very nice tool! Thanks!
Zachary
Posted 6/5/2007 8:40 AM (#259443 - in reply to #259425)

Cool! So what formula does this site use?
tcbetka
Posted 6/5/2007 9:09 AM (#259452 - in reply to #259443)

Thanks for looking guys...

I would guess that this site's calculator (like most sites) uses the IGFA Standard formula, developed in the early part of the 20th century. A year ago when Larry Ramsell and I were gathering information on the various formulas, I talked to the historian for the IGFA and he told me that as far as he knew, the standard LGG/800 formula has been used in the saltwater gamefishing world since the 1920s--but he didn't really know it's origin other than that. I did talk to the individuals responsible for most of the formulae though, other than Dr. Casselman who I never could track down.

If you click on one of the "More Info" buttons in the desktop version of the application, a pop-up window will appear and give additional information on the derivation of that particular formula. While not an exhaustive description, it does give a bit of history behind the scenes. And of course if you want to learn more about these, Larry Ramsell is an invaluable resource who is always happy to teach 'musky-teers' more than they ever thought there was to know about the sport!

TB
muskym
Posted 6/5/2007 12:35 PM (#259493 - in reply to #259452)

Hello Tom,I enjoyed our talk about your new boat and gear last week!One thing to keep in mind about the weight formula (l x g xg /800) is that while it is quite accurate for mid sized fish,it tends to over estimate weight on larger fish (40lbs+).For a very accurate estimate on very big fish you should either use the fork length when using the formula ,or subtract 3/4" like i believe Larry R. recommends.Either way will give you very similar results. Consider that the difference between fork length and the length to the end of a pinched tail can be upwards of 3+" on fish 52" and over! Mike Phillips
tcbetka
Posted 6/5/2007 12:52 PM (#259499 - in reply to #259493)

Hey Mike! Thanks for the post...

If you take a look my calculator, you will see the Wilkinson formula which does just that--takes 0.75 inch from the girth for the reason you mentioned. Larry refers people to the Wilkinson formula for that very fact, and as such was adamant that we emphsize it's importance compared to the other formulae.

Have a look at it, if you haven't already.

Tom
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)