Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Squirrely Burt

Message Subject: Squirrely Burt
Rainman JD
Posted 6/7/2007 9:03 AM (#259815)
Subject: Squirrely Burt

How exactly is this bait supposed to be worked through the water. I was treating it like a jerk bait and it was not looking to pretty coming through the water. Do I need to mess with the eye on the head of it to get it to have better action?
BruceKY
Posted 6/7/2007 11:37 AM (#259852 - in reply to #259815)
Subject: RE: Squirrely Burt

Sell it on ebay and buy a hawg teaser. That’s what I did with mine. I had four and only had one running so-so. They are very buoyant and wanted to squirt off to one side only. I like the hawg teasers much better.
brent
Posted 6/7/2007 9:05 PM (#259941 - in reply to #259815)

Keep it! I reel mine fairly quickly and give them a good twitch 1/2 way back. They've got kind of a snake swim if you just reel them 1-2'under the surface. Some times they need tuned and you have shave the concave head a little. Certainly a great lure when they get in a funk too.
esoxnut
Posted 6/7/2007 9:23 PM (#259943 - in reply to #259815)
Subject: Re: Squirrely Burt

Dump it on ebay dude. Try the weighted version, you will like it alot better. Hawg teasers are great to but they are completly different lures and actions. I love my weighted Burts.
Manta18
Posted 6/8/2007 2:40 AM (#259967 - in reply to #259943)

Love my Burts and Squirrely Burts. I take each one and take the time to "tune" them. Basically i shave down the head until it runs right. I havne't found many that run really great right of the box, but once I can get them running good, they are deadly. I had a Blood Perch SB that was just awesome on LOTW until I lost the tail and ran out of replacement tails. I do prefer the weighted model in the squirrely, just to keep them down. Don't give up on them, they will catch you fish!
Mertot
Posted 6/9/2007 12:14 PM (#260138 - in reply to #259815)

Does anyone have a successful conversion from plain to weighted on their squirrely burt they'd be willing to share? I was going to try some lead sodder wire wrapped on trebble hook shafts.

Edited by Mertot 6/9/2007 12:16 PM
k-bob
Posted 6/9/2007 10:45 PM (#260173 - in reply to #260138)

One mod. I did was on a weighted sq. Burt. I put heavier hooks on them and they hang perfectly nuetral. I give the bait an extra long pause right when the bait becomes visible near the boat and have had them hammer it. Only caught a few on them but lost a 50" on it at night and that's why I upsized the hooks and discovered this mod.
Krishna
Mr T
Posted 6/10/2007 5:35 AM (#260183 - in reply to #259815)

Check out the following link on tweaking the old burt:

http://www.dlst.co.uk/Writings/burts.html

regards
MR T
Mertot
Posted 6/11/2007 11:43 PM (#260453 - in reply to #260183)

Thanks for the link Mr. T!

This was an interesting article with someuseful tips to try out; namely the split ring on the connector eyelet and grub body on the back hook eyelet.
ron berry
Posted 6/16/2007 3:31 PM (#261141 - in reply to #259815)

try rounding the lip fill the head in with epoxy great lure for me
cjrich
Posted 6/16/2007 3:58 PM (#261143 - in reply to #259815)

Rainman JD,

I had been using my ESOX 6'9" jerkbait rod (great rod by the way) and was not really getting the expected action out of my Burts. I switched to a custom made Thorne Bros. 8'6" rod that I had that had a more flexible tip and WOW .... the action I was able to impart on the bait really changed a lot.

I also was not working as hard to keep the bait down and to make it do it's side-to-side and erratic thing.

Moral of the story: try using a rod with a more flexible tip to work your Burts.

Hawg Teasers (got plenty of them) have a completely different action than Burts. They are much more one-dimensional. In my opinion, the Burt is a more versatile bait that can be fished in a variety of ways.

Try using a Burt without the tail. They will not roll and are somewhat easier to master.

Craig

Edited by cjrich 6/16/2007 4:01 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)