Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results
 
Message Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results
sworrall
Posted 3/23/2002 10:41 PM (#213)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


Tony Grant and Mountain Muskie Lodge hosted the premier MuskieFIRST outing this weekend at cave Run Resevoir in Morehead, Kentucky. 22 anglers fished the Piganator Trophy division, and 23 the open division.

Cave Run had just been subjected to a tremendous influx of flood waters, resulting in the system reaching 16' or better higher than Summer pool. Coupled with a strong cold front dropping nighttime temperatures to less than 17 degrees and bringing in North winds at 15 to 25, the muddy water way over the normal stage made for very tough fishing.


Friday the temps did not go much over freezing, and the muskies had lockjaw. Saturday dawned warmer reaching nearly 50 degrees by 5 PM. Three fish were caught Saturday, a 33 by Brad Roepke, a 27 by Lone Wolf, and a 38 by Bruskie fishing with Teck!

Bruskie's 38 was big fish of the outing, caught slow rolling a Spinnerbait on the shoreline breaks. He checked in at Tony's late, so he did not enter the Piganator Challenge.

Five states were represented by 23 anglers. MuskieFIRST Managing Editor Jason Smith reported that all the anglers had an EXCELLENT time, and will all return to the Cave next year for a bigger, better event!

I moved two fish this afternoon, missing a good one on an Undertaker in Scott's Creek, way behind the tree line up on what would have normally been the lawn. Weird fishing, but really alot of fun. I want to thank Jim Stella for a great day on the water!![:bigsmile:]

Posted 3/23/2002 10:58 PM (#27174)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


I suppose we will see sponges face when we learn the meaning of by by miss american pie...

Posted 3/24/2002 3:20 AM (#27175)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


Great job everyone, in spite of the exceptionally tough conditions. Now, safe rides home to all. Looking forward to more pics.

Part of your post gave the da freek out, Steve, the part about Sunday conditions. Either 1) yer a day off, or, 2) I better get back to bed 'cause no day off tomorrow, I gotta go to work in a couple hours.[:0]

Rick

Posted 3/24/2002 8:02 AM (#27176)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


Bummer you guys ran into the bad weather. Seems though, that you had a good time and I bet it was nice to hear the reels zing again. It's not alway about the catchin, It's the fun of fishin and friends that counts. Thanks for keeping us posted. Ditto on the safe trip home to all.

Good Luck.

Posted 3/24/2002 5:23 PM (#27177)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


Folks

I had a great time at the Muskiefirst Cave Run Outing. Thanks for the opportunity Muskiefirst! This was a great way for a relative beginner to muskie fishing to meet people who share an addiction for it.

I have attached a picture of the fish I caught Saturday. (38 1/2) Fishing with Teck was a pleasure. He put me where I needed to be and did a great job with the net. Thanks to Tech we were able to remove the spinner-bait from deep in the fishes mouth for a quick release. The fish swam away strong before he could get a, tail in hand, camera shot beside the boat.

For those who want to know, the fish was caught on a 1 ounce Grim Reaper spinner-bait. I hear Tony Grant has had some luck with them too. It was chartreuse with silver fluted blades.

Thanks again,

Bruce [:)]

Posted 3/24/2002 5:29 PM (#27178)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


2nd try for the attached file.

Posted 3/24/2002 6:20 PM (#27179)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


Nice fish, but wow, that is some nasty looking water. Kudos for not just staying in the lodge drinking beer. On the positive side of things for all the non-catchers is that you got to hit the water months ahead of us poor MN people who'll be waiting til June. (yeah, my boat came with a trailer, but I'm not able to venture too far with 2 small children at home)

Posted 3/24/2002 9:18 PM (#27180)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


Shep, Brad, and I just returned returned back to southern Wisconsin from the Cave.
Despite challenging weather conditions,everyone had a great time and can't wait to return.
Thanks Muskiefirst and Tony Grant for hosting this event.
Photos of the "Piganator fish" and the "Rescue on the Cave" will be on site soon.
Landy Roepke

Posted 3/25/2002 10:53 AM (#27181)
Subject: Cave Run MuskieFIRST Outing Results


THIS IS DEPRESSING!!!! I just returned to Northern Wisconsin to find a foot of snow on the ground still...even though it was cold at the Cave, it beat this, for certain![:((]
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)