Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> RABC/ CANPASS only good for 1 year now

Message Subject: RABC/ CANPASS only good for 1 year now
MuskyTime
Posted 4/26/2007 11:21 AM (#252942)
Subject: RABC/ CANPASS only good for 1 year now

FYI,

I just got off the phone with the Immigration folks at Thunder Bay. Effective this year the RABC/CANPASS permits are only good for one year after date of purchase. So looks like we will be shelling out $30 each year unless you own property in Canada. I copied this from their web site,

Permit Expiry

RABC permits are valid for one year from the date of issue.

Owners of property on the Canadian side of the Boundary Waters can obtain a two-year RABC permit by providing proof of land ownership with their application.

I guess I would pay $100/ year to fish LOTW’s

It used to be good for 1 year after your birth date.

Ed
VMS
Posted 4/26/2007 3:59 PM (#252999 - in reply to #252942)
Subject: Re: RABC/ CANPASS only good for 1 year now

So...spend $30 a year on the Canpass or get a passport for $100 and it's good for 10 years... Hmmm...guess I know what I will be getting..

Steve
rpike
Posted 4/26/2007 4:52 PM (#253021 - in reply to #252942)
Subject: RE: RABC/ CANPASS only good for 1 year now

Whether or not you have a passport, you still need the RABC to cross into Canada without going through customs. If you always go through customs, no need for the RABC.
nwild
Posted 4/27/2007 8:21 AM (#253178 - in reply to #253021)

Ed,
I'm not 100% sure, but I think they went to that last year already. I had to renew mine last year and I am almost positive that it was a one year deal. It still beats using the video phone every morning!
john skarie
Posted 4/27/2007 8:58 AM (#253189 - in reply to #253178)

It's always been a one year deal.

You have to apply every year, that way they can do a fresh background check on you before allowing you to enter without going through customs.

Wouldn't surprise me if they quit doing it altogether someday.
cpr fish
Posted 4/27/2007 9:18 AM (#253194 - in reply to #252942)

I stay at Northwest Angle Resort and they have a videophone on the pier we dock at. Call Canada customs, get the daily pass # and we are on our way without delay. I think two resorts have videophones available on the angle.

The RABC permit is a great thing if you can coordinate it with everyone in the group and want to spend the extra $$.

Is it July yet?
MuskyTime
Posted 4/27/2007 9:55 AM (#253202 - in reply to #253194)

Hey Norm,

You are probably right about them going to it last year.

The last permit I had was good for 2 seasons and had to renew this spring. In the past I would apply or renew in the spring and it was good until 1 year after your birth date. My birthday is in January so a permit returned to me in April would be good until a year from my next birthday and I would get 2 seasons out of it. I would only have to renew it every 2 years. So I was surprised last week to see the expiration date a year from the purchase date.

Hope the water comes up!
dougj
Posted 4/27/2007 5:12 PM (#253291 - in reply to #253202)

Not too surprised!

I can remember when they where free and they told us that they would always be. I'm sort of surprised that the price is still $30.00 Canadian (although that's gone up with the change in exchange rates). I'll bet that will change soon also.

I can even remember when you didn't even have to check in, you just went, and came back and no-one cared. Times have sure changed in the past 15-20 years or so.

I see that Canadian land owners can get two year RABCs, I'll find out how much they cost soon.

Doug Johnson
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)