Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Most annoying fishing partner habit?

Message Subject: Most annoying fishing partner habit?
Muskie Treats
Posted 4/5/2007 4:48 PM (#249095 - in reply to #248769)
Subject: Re: Most annoying fishing partner habit?

PK

What you're saying is that you hate fishing with all of your friends?

You forgot: People who hook me with their bulldawgs
bn
Posted 4/5/2007 7:05 PM (#249115 - in reply to #248769)
Subject: RE: Most annoying fishing partner habit?

Dan that guy sounds like a guy I know named AquaMan!
*partners who HAVE to have coffee in the morning each and every day or they whine about it til around 3pm...
*bad net jobs! ;-)~
*guys who have to poop all the time and won't just launch it over the gunnel!
*guys who figure 8 a fish you brought in while you still figure 8'ing!
*bad boat control

ok all kidding aside...

i think the most annoying things are lateness, too much #*^@ stuff, not offering to bring beer/food or pay for gas... and don't cast in front of my lure!

Mr Musky
Posted 4/5/2007 7:27 PM (#249117 - in reply to #248769)

How bout the partner who is driving that after we are done working a spot he has to sit and stare at the map for 10 mins before deciding which spot to hit next while you sit up front very impatient and rattle off 10 places near by that have great potential.

Or how bout when that same partner decides to go to the next spot he has to creep at about ten mph for 300 yds before he opens it up to get there.

And the one who has to stop the boat right on top of prime fall Canada shoreline trolling structure only to look at 20 different jakes before deciding which one to try next.

The same one who wont even slow down the boat so you can change up once and awhile.

The same one who speeds up when you say lets take this pass slower.
Mr Musky
Posted 4/5/2007 7:37 PM (#249120 - in reply to #249117)

The same one who has to sit in the boat for 20 mins every morning and look in every compartment ten times and drink a half a thermos of coffee before un tying from the dock.

The same one who has to make sure he's in proper position to cast the stucture perfect but could care less where the back of the boat is at.

The same one who always has to drift with the wind even when it's a 3 mph wind, cant use that trolling motor battery!!! It's sacred!

The same one never willing to try new spots, lures, tactics, always gotta do the same thing we've always did and catch the same as we've always caught.

The same one that wants 20 different pictures of his fish, girth, weight, upside down to the right, up down backwards but when I get a fish it's my fault my stupid camera doesnt' work and one shot is good enough!
Ok enough on this, im going to go grab another bud!! Weiser that is!
dogboy
Posted 4/6/2007 2:47 PM (#249282 - in reply to #248769)

GOTONE's post cracked me up! hehe

Guys that take their sweet a$$ time getting the net, and then only to get it caught in a bunch of rods, or throw there bait and pole on top of it only to struggle to get it untangled. Then they cry when I start yelling at them for doing something dumb?????? hello! I wait all day for a fish so you can gingerly screw it up for me?
I had to hand land a fish or two because of this. Dude was still trying to untangle the mess after I had the fish unhooked and was waiting for a pick. NOT COOL!

Sometimes when youre fishing out of someone elses boat, and they put on the brakes cause they want to pepper their favorite spot to death and leave you out in no-mans land, with the boat pointed at that spot. yeah, that irritates me. sometimes..........

food, drink, smoke, doesn't bother me, cause I do it too, but, when they stumble around your boat like a retard, and step on the eyelets of your rods, bend the handles on your reels, and then deny it when you say whats up! %*&^($

Guys that talk the talk, but, when the going gets tough, its windy, rainy, cold, or too hot, they whine like little beeotchs. Or, when the fishing is slow. they just want to go instead of putting some time in to figure it out. seen it so many times, when you finally give in to go, you let down your guard, and then like clockwork, you miss a fish boatside.

yes, I have a lot of annoyances, but, am pretty easy to get along with.
Just fish, the rest is just filler.
Chris H
Posted 4/6/2007 4:06 PM (#249294 - in reply to #249282)

My brother insists on making the sound of the cast and the splash himself, like he's a musician or something......... Ssshhhhhooooooooo.................plush! is how it goes. Often followed by a proud chuckle..... Hearing that a couple hundred times in a day tends to make one a bit crazy.

A second peeve is fishing 'tonka with someone and they want to spend the time looking at the houses, if you want to do that call a realtor. I can see taking a moment to look at the "eye candy", but houses, no. Appreciate an eagle, yes, but appreciate an egress window....no.

Last and the worst, people that don't pay attention and finish the retrieve. Several times I've turned after seeing a fish follow their bait and they proceed to lift it out of the water I say...."It only looked mid 40s, we don't want that fish". They say "What fish"? I reply..."The one that was ready to eat your bait." I think I'm going to laminate Hulbert's article from MH and keep it in the boat for reference for others to read.....and read again.

Chris
Pointerpride102
Posted 4/6/2007 7:11 PM (#249334 - in reply to #248769)

When my fishing partner gets PMS. Enough said.
mad4skies
Posted 4/6/2007 9:32 PM (#249357 - in reply to #248769)

I would guess it would be when my brother inlaw starts catching fish on the same kind of bait that I only had follows on. Then it's lines like "You want to try my bait.... Here take my rod , I have it hooked for you...Did you want to touch the fish for good luck before I let it go."
That and using the same leader all year, even when all the black is off the snap and the leader is kinked up every which way. Still have a blast fishing.
topH20
Posted 4/6/2007 11:55 PM (#249395 - in reply to #248769)

What bugs me the most is no reciprocal exchange of fishing knowledge or hot spots. We all keep certain information close to the vest but there comes a time when you feel "safe" to share it with certain people, especially a good fishing buddy, so you do. Then the guy never loosens up enough to tell you something he knows about a body of water or time of year...but deep down he's thinking " thanks for telling me that stupid!" I find myself giving out "test information" first to feel them out before I start to speak the truth.
>Another thing is the idiot that bangs his lure in the water to remove weeds....I always have a heart attack thinking it was a boatside blow-up.
>Throwing anything in the water.
>When they hold their pole with the lure hanging down and spinning around as you run the lake.
>When they just sit there and don't fish, like they're bored and it's your fault.
If one thing is for sure it's that you can really find out what a person is like by taking him out in your boat.
Reelwise
Posted 4/7/2007 12:11 AM (#249399 - in reply to #248769)

This is why I love fishing with some of the people I do...You don't have to worry about a lot of this stuff, because they are just as crazy about fishing as I am.

You work too #*^@ hard to hear someone (editors note:DO NOT USE SHORTHAND FOR OBSCENE WORDS!!!!!) around pretending they have a fish.

You spend too much money to hear someone complaining, wanting to go home after 4 hours of bad weather and no fish. If its raining, the weather sucks... if its too sunny, the weather sucks... if its too windy, the weather sucks... If its cold, the weather sucks... if its too hot, the weather sucks... The fish don't only eat when the weather is perfect for you... You'll live!

Its not always about catching... some people work all week long just to get away from it all for one weekend out of the month or one week out of the year.

Dutchman1
Posted 4/7/2007 7:35 AM (#249415 - in reply to #248769)

When they bring an old steel tackle box which, when it gets wet, rusts on your carpet. You provide everything they offer nothing. They loose your lure and offer nothing. They don't get to go very often anymore.
Ranger
Posted 4/7/2007 8:42 AM (#249419 - in reply to #248769)

* Throwing any litter in the lake, particularly cig butts.

* Folks who don't have patience with me when I stop fishing to grab litter out of the lake. Cans floating by are easy. I'll use my Frabill Powercatch to get crap off the lake bottom. If I can reach it, I go get it every time.

* Rude behavior toward other boats or folks on shore no matter what they did.

* Smacking lures to get rid of weeds.

* Being a loud mouth, especially frustrated yelling when something goes wrong.

* Sloppy mean drunks.

* Leaving baits laying around.

* Careless fish handling.

* Guests who cloud the boat interior with bug spray, including rods, exposed lures and the face of my fish finder.

* Folks who fail to bring rainsuits, shades or other essential gear.

Two quickies I LIKE about folks I fish with...

* Papajoe saying, "Hey man, I just hallucinated a follow."

* Hitting the bar with EsoxLady for many ta-kill-ya shots and then losing a $100 bet to a guy who, it turns out, COULD find and wear a tiny pink thong within 60 seconds of me yelling the bet across the bar. (Peg, did I send you that pic of him shooting us the moon with his nards hanging out all over the place?)
jonnysled
Posted 4/7/2007 9:05 AM (#249427 - in reply to #248769)

guys who can't catch a fish on the 8 so you gotta do it for them ...
fishwizard
Posted 4/7/2007 10:10 PM (#249575 - in reply to #248769)

Without a doubt casting over me. A couple times in a day, no problem, a couple times in an hour, I'm going to want to kick you in by lunch time.

I will always leave good casts open, so that we can work together to fish more effectively, especially when you might have less experience. And then you wind up and ignore the money spot winging one up the shoreline over my line no where near where the fish likely was.

Another real irritant is when I'm working back into a narrow saddle or bay, and I have to get back into the corner before I can turn the boat so we can reach where the fish usually come from. The wind is probably blowing in and right before I swing the boat, you turn and throw a mother of a cast up the backside cutting me off so I can't turn the boat as we are now drifting into the rocks or more likely on top of the fish because your line is inches from the trolling motor. If we are going through a spot one way and we should fish both sides to cover it, then I will probably say something to that effect. Otherwise don't throw out the backside just to get a cast ahead of mine. If you really think I'm front-ending you, but you don't really know the spot, say something. I'd be happy to discuss the best method for covering the spot.

Complaining! Like someone said, saying "Darn it's freaking hot out here" when it is, is understandable. But whining about spots or conditions for hours just makes it miserable for all of us. Might as well start second guessing everything we're doing. That usually helps. Most days muskie fishing is simply a test of endurance, not a riddle to be solved, so buck up and just try to enjoy it.

If we are on a trip in Canada, and we're going to be twenty miles away from camp by mid-day, bring what you need with us in the morning and don't expect us to spend an hour driving back to camp because you forgot your raingear or whatever.

Most days I'll put up with just about anything including these "habits" and not comment on my annoyance, but you can expect my attitude to change as the day progresses and your behavior continues. You'd have to hit all my buttons in pretty quick order for me to lose it and go off on you. A fishing trip is the best meter of compatibility that I've ever seen in my life. If you can make it through a week with someone, especially on a muskie trip, then you'll likely be good friends any other time.  That's how I realized that my ex-wife and I really weren't right for eachother, and how I know that my new wife and I will be together forever.

Ryan

Renaldo
Posted 4/8/2007 10:06 AM (#249627 - in reply to #249575)

Not in any order:
1) Eats Bean Burritos at Chipotle Grill night before fishing.
2) Throws antique creek chub pikie minnows all day with hooks sharpened down to nubs.
3) Turns up heat to 120 degrees in motel room.
4) Bends the tails down too far on his Suicks.
5) Gets more follows than anyone I've ever fished with.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)