Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Muskies at night...

Message Subject: Muskies at night...
Fish Tank
Posted 4/5/2007 10:55 AM (#249030)
Subject: Muskies at night...

Do any of you fish for muskies through out the night. Say maybe start just before sunset and finish after sunrise??? Not this time of year, but later on into the late spring early summer???

Most of my salt water fishing is done in this time frame and I like fishing in the dark better, less people and the fish always seem to be at your feet and much bigger than in the day.

Being I'm going to start targeting local monsters I'd like to know how many hit fish in the dead of the night.

As always, thanks for your time replying.

Edited by Fish Tank 4/5/2007 11:01 AM
release
Posted 4/5/2007 12:09 PM (#249050 - in reply to #249030)
Subject: RE: Muskies at night...

It works better on some lakes than others and its not intuitive whether you are wasting your time on a give lake or not. I have fished in Canada and Minnesota starting after dark and some nights you have no action that is visible (real hard to see follows unless they splash water) and others are quite good. You just have to try it a few times and see.

A word to the wise. Like salt water. Keep it simple with as little loose on deck as possible and have all release tools and a light to turn on and use them readily available. Also know your lake well, weather or lack of a moon can make things seem different.

Other than that fishing after dark is also a favorite of mine, in fact its a big beef with Eagle Lake in Ontario. You cannot fish after dark and having fisher there the last two years on my primary muskie trip I missed the night fishing enough to split the trip this year so some will be on Eagle and some on a lake that allows night fishing.
Fish Tank
Posted 4/5/2007 12:50 PM (#249057 - in reply to #249030)
Subject: Re: Muskies at night...

Release, thanks.

I will however be fishing land based in a river. Some parts south of me the river is 1\2mile wide or better. Some pools are in excess of 30' deep.

I wear an LED headlamp equipped with a red light. I fish with it off and only use red for unkooking. I use duo-lock snaps for lure switching, don't need light for that. Red light will not corrupt your night vision, as well red light in a small LED amounts doesn't seem to bother the fish.

As for the knowledge of my waters, I do fish them hard in light, as well I carry a hand held Garmin 72gps waas enabled unit, so once I get out I'll mark inpoints in the unit, this way in heavy fog or in the dark I can retrace my steps, or find exact locales in the dark. I also paddle a kayak into bays in the salt and will live about 2miles out, off of islands there, for about 2-3days straight. I live off of what I can travel in my kayak, and will spend that time in breathable waders and jacket.

I travel 3hrs to get to my salt haunts, and will usually fish 18hrs straight, after arriving, sleep for 2-3 hrs, either in my beach buggy or on an island, then fish again for another 18hrs, then swill coffe for the 3hr ride home again. :D

In the summer I work 6 day work weeks and average 10-12 hr days. So it would be nothing for me to head right out after work on a Sat in July and fish straight through til Sun. after sunset. The beauty of sweet water is you don't have low tide to stop the current and shut the bite down.

There's very little on the planet that rivals the v-wake that a metal lipped swimmer creates in the moonlight crawling across the surface of moving water, save for maybe the way a take looks when a monster crashes it!!!

I'm lookin' at all the images of great fish that members here have hooked up and I'm all horsed to get after the venerable "ugly fish"!!!

Thanks for the input!!!

Thanks again!!!
Jason Bomber
Posted 4/5/2007 3:42 PM (#249088 - in reply to #249030)

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=33...
not exactly what you asked, but theres some good info in here

Edited by Jason Bomber 4/5/2007 3:50 PM
Fish Tank
Posted 4/5/2007 4:02 PM (#249090 - in reply to #249030)

Thanks Jason!!!

That's what I was looking for. The moon phase thing is very interesting. Also, all my swimmers stay up on top, and create an audible swishing sound with a wide tail arc. They are designed to move\push much water. I believe in low light fish feed first by the latteral line and second by sight.

I LOVE fishing in the dark.

I'm psyched to get my lures after these brutes!!!

Thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)