Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> How do you stay on structure?

How do you stay on structure?
OptionResults
look for weedline, rocks, etc in clear water
Visualization with topographic features
Triangulation with shoreline features
Marker buoys
GPS
All the above
promise the guide a tip
Electronics Mostly ( Depth Finder)
Combintion Electronics, and Bait Feedback
It's something else for most
Keep Feet permenantly planted on the rocks, which at times are very slipery
run into a rock pile
Fish in the back of the boat and let someone else worry about structure
Add your own option:

Message Subject: How do you stay on structure?
BruceKY
Posted 2/26/2007 10:04 AM (#241551)
Subject: How do you stay on structure?

After you have found structure, say a break line in 8-10’, how do you stay on it?

I know most of you are going to say all the above, so try to vote for the method you use the most. Unless you use them all equally, then vote for all the above.

If you will, what are your tricks? Are maker buoys passé? Do you avoid using markers when others are around?

Thanks,
Bruce
mikie
Posted 2/26/2007 10:05 AM (#241553 - in reply to #241551)
Subject: Re: How do you stay on structure?

Tie up to the nearest stump, Bruce! mm

ps- what's "clear water'???

Edited by mikie 2/26/2007 10:07 AM
Steve Jonesi
Posted 2/26/2007 10:10 AM (#241555 - in reply to #241551)

I use the electric(s) first, but if it gets really nutty, I'll jump on the tiller.The absolute best boat control.The wind is my friend. My "visual" comes from the 110 in split screen, 3/4 GPS, 1/4 sonar, Navionics in the rear(navigate) and Lakemaster in the bow(locate). Steve
BruceKY
Posted 2/26/2007 10:24 AM (#241563 - in reply to #241553)

Tie up to the nearest stump!

Good one Mikie.
Raider150
Posted 2/26/2007 12:58 PM (#241599 - in reply to #241551)
Subject: RE: How do you stay on structure?

I use marker bouys a lot especially if its windy. That way you know right where to go to get back on the structure. Marker bouys can also give you a visual of how big something actually is if its your 1st time on that structure.
Shep
Posted 2/26/2007 2:09 PM (#241620 - in reply to #241599)

I use my electronics, and bait feedback to control my boat. Can't use one without the other.
sworrall
Posted 2/26/2007 2:40 PM (#241633 - in reply to #241551)

I'm doing a piece for the MuskieFIRST articles section this week on this issue. Ask anyone who attended the seminar I did at Green Bay a while back, it's 'different', but is what I've found to be the real deal for most of the fellows I know who really control a boat well.
Pointerpride102
Posted 2/26/2007 2:48 PM (#241637 - in reply to #241551)

Rocks get very slippery at times, but as long as you dont lose your balance you can stay on your spot all day long.
nwild
Posted 2/26/2007 2:53 PM (#241640 - in reply to #241637)

This is interesting, I had a conversation about this with sworrall this very weekend. He has some very interesting insight on it!
BruceKY
Posted 2/26/2007 7:10 PM (#241689 - in reply to #241551)

This is interesting. I expected 80% to respond that they use GPS.

I am still in the dark ages without GPS. I use maps, visual clues, depth finder, 1st hand knowledge of the area, marker buoys, and feedback from the lures I am throwing.

I am very interested to reed your article Steve. Let us know when it is posted.

Thanks,
Bruce
Fishwizard
Posted 2/26/2007 7:40 PM (#241697 - in reply to #241551)

I study and try to memorize the map details, then use the gps and/or shoreline triangulation to get close. Then I get up front with the sonar and try to follow the right depth and the general shape from the map. If the structure is shallow enough then I'll be scanning for underwater signs like rocks and weeds. Most times I'll completely screw up the spot the first time before really figuring out how it is laid out. Sometimes I'll use bait selection to try and contact the structure with various baits to help lead the way. Next time I try and remember little cues about how I messed up last time and try and do better. If I'm fishing a really deep reef out in the middle of nowhere on a windy day then I'll pull out the bouys. Is this really any different then how anyone else does it?

Edited by Fishwizard 2/26/2007 7:48 PM
Marc J
Posted 2/26/2007 7:51 PM (#241700 - in reply to #241551)

I use my depthfinder first, because it's the most accurate instant measure I have. I use my GPS second because if I know my depth exactly my GPS doesn't have to be 100% accurate, which it's not. Probably use my bait third.

Once you realize how to read and use your GPS to it's full potential boat control becomes EAZY!

Edited by Marc J 2/26/2007 7:52 PM
Steve Jonesi
Posted 2/26/2007 8:42 PM (#241708 - in reply to #241551)

Having a GPS with a map chip is the" great equalizer".Then.....having said GPS/Combo Unit on the bow, where we , as muskie fishermen/women do most of our "detail" work(lots of exceptions I know), makes it an extremely important and valuable tool. Steve
sworrall
Posted 3/2/2007 12:39 AM (#242386 - in reply to #241708)

Ask most muskie anglers who are really accomplished at boat control 'how' they stay on structure, and they won't be able to tell you. It's very hard to verbalize, but I think I have it figured out in a form that is easy to grasp even if you are NOT accomplished at boat control and reading the water.

Maps and GPS chips are great for finding general area of the water you want to fish, and can get you very close, but nuances in water levels (really dramatic right now), changing weedline conditions caused by any number of variations the map doesn't consider, and a host of other reasons dictates you learn that water. One needs to learn how to see under that surface, and that from a considerable distance.

I hope to have that piece done this weekend. Looks like we dodged a bullet and will only get about 10" total snow tonight and tomorrow, so I might just get out on the ice this weekend...maybe I'll get Slamr or lambeau to do a chatroom interview, that would speed things along.
jerryb
Posted 3/2/2007 12:41 PM (#242460 - in reply to #241551)

In a word, ANCHOR!
Once a contact point has been located on a productive structure situation there is no need to for anything else. Locating the "contact point" however takes many things including precise trolling passes, markers, and accurate shoreline sites if available.

Jerry Borst
Spoonplugger/Instructor
Jim Tugle
Posted 3/4/2007 11:46 AM (#242759 - in reply to #241551)

I'd think a combination of trying to keep a mental map picture in my mind plus a close eye on the locator combined with what and how my lure contacts structure that I'm casting towards. Lots more concentration than it looks like unless of course you get one of those flat calm days on your "home waters".

Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)