Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Rotten Boat Seats

Reply New post
Message Subject: Rotten Boat Seats
husky_jerk
Posted 1/10/2007 4:31 PM (#231433)
Subject: Rotten Boat Seats

The wood on my Alumacraft seats began to rot a couple years ago. I tripped and clotheslined the seat and mangled it. Next, the other seat went. Last off season I replaced the two broken seats with two new seats straight from the factory. I considered buying non-name brand seats for cheaper but finally decided not to skimp. The cost was pretty heavy for a seat and I bought 2. This same yearboth seats again rotted in the back wood. Now, I have to admit that the boat does see the elements in spring, summer, and fall, but how long should a good seat last. Any suggestions on brands or materials?Are all seat fittings universal or do I have to buy brand name?Any help appreciated.
hj
chico
Posted 1/10/2007 5:33 PM (#231459 - in reply to #231433)
Subject: RE: Rotten Boat Seats

have you considered contacting the manufacter? I'd be ranting if a seat rotted out that quickly.
husky_jerk
Posted 1/10/2007 6:12 PM (#231472 - in reply to #231433)

I wanted to see how out of the ordinary this was before I made an assumption. Like I said, my boat is outside, uncovered, in the water much of the summer when it is in constant use. I thought maybe that was a contributing factor. It seemed awfully quick to me and you just verified what I suspected. I will contact the manufacturer but outside of free replacements I would really like to go to another product.
Allstate48
Posted 1/10/2007 6:17 PM (#231473 - in reply to #231433)

Wouldn't a couple of factory seats be about half a cover?
Raider150
Posted 1/10/2007 10:25 PM (#231531 - in reply to #231433)

True them babys aren't cheap. I think when i got my boat an extra seat was about 2bills(200)
sworrall
Posted 1/10/2007 11:05 PM (#231535 - in reply to #231531)

Most of the new seats out there are now made of a heavy plastic. They are very tough, won't break or ever rot. Here's an example:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=de
Shep
Posted 1/11/2007 8:30 AM (#231574 - in reply to #231535)

My last Tuffy had wood in the seats. I always kept it covered, and/or in the garage. Never had a problem with them. The last cover I got was $450. A little bit more than a couple good seats, and well worth it to keep the elements out. I would never store a boat outside without a cover.

The Lunds, and the new Tuffy have the Attwood seats, and the driver's sat has the SRS feature. Awesome seats. I think you can get them at Cabela's.
husky_jerk
Posted 1/20/2007 5:08 PM (#233368 - in reply to #231433)

Thank you all for your replies and your advice.
hj
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 1/23/2007 3:25 AM (#233771 - in reply to #231433)

If a new boat cover is not in your budget ow about just individual seat covers. I know I've seen them in more than one catalog.

Karl

I just looked at the seats Steve recommended. Not bad. I'd consider also adding the seat covers as the vinyl upholstery and stitching is also subject to deterioration when let exposed to the elements.

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 1/23/2007 3:29 AM
husky_jerk
Posted 3/8/2007 5:13 PM (#243619 - in reply to #233771)

Just wanted to update this fiasco. Called my dealer to tell them I was picking up my boat. She quoted me a price on storage and the various repairs and maintenance and I mentioned that I am also paying for new seats (not there). She said "your seat is on warranty" and the manufacturer was having a real problem with that model seat." I thought if this was the case I would contact the manufacturer. After all, I shelled out 180 less than 2 years ago for a brand new seat which is now a recliner. I didn't want any money back but I wanted some satisfaction. I contacted Alumacraft via email that explained my situation and my displeasure with the faulty seat(s). I received a short email that said the seats were no longer under warranty. I sent an email back correcting them, (I have the bill of sale) it was less than 2 years ago. I received an email back explaining it wasn't their problem and I would have to go through my dealer. My dealer said it is an alumacraft issue. The key here is that my dealership no longer deals with Alumacraft products. I am particularly dismayed at the warranty manager for Alumacraft. She has no courtesy. Even if she said "I'm sorry that the product wasn't up to your expectations. I can't replace both seats but since you are under warranty for the seat you bought less than 2 years ago I will replace that seat". I would be satisfied.Instead I get the runaround . What happened to courtesy? I am going to sound like the grinch at 40 but I miss the old way of doing business. There was a courtesy and etiquette and that is often absent today.
More importantly, it's not the end of the world and I can't wait to fish.

Edited by husky_jerk 3/8/2007 5:30 PM
AFChief
Posted 3/8/2007 6:06 PM (#243629 - in reply to #243619)

What you just experienced is a standard in some industries called "Customer No Service". I agree, it is much easier to accept bad news when it is converyed in a courteous, professional manner.

Edited by AFChief 3/8/2007 6:06 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)