Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Are new and improved lures ever any better???

Message Subject: Are new and improved lures ever any better???
jerkin
Posted 2/23/2007 2:39 PM (#241083)
Subject: Are new and improved lures ever any better???

It seems like people are always looking for the old versions of lures. You know what I mean, pre ROI depthraiders, sevenstrand bulldawgs, pre (or post) odyssey phantoms, M9 grandmas, etc. Are the new versions ever any better? Does "new and improved" always mean for the worse, or is it just in peoples heads?
Krappie
Posted 2/23/2007 3:03 PM (#241086 - in reply to #241083)
Subject: Re: Are new and improved lures ever any better???

Probably a little bit of both. Sometimes I think manufactures try to fix what's not broke(I always heard that the old Burmek crankbait was better as wood versus the current plastic) . Or when another manufacture takes over the process they may do it slightly differently. Sometimes it's for the better and sometimes for the worst. Many times the manufacturing process may be changed to have better output or better profit margin, but the quality suffers. Or that special something in the bait is lost. Even from during the same process and manufacture some baits have a certain something that makes it better than other baits. Tough to tell what it is, but there are baits that everything is right and the fish tell ya. From my own personal experiences I've done better with the old Phantoms(haven't need any new ones because I stocked up on Todd's old ones), and haven't seen a difference with the Bulldawgs...seven strain or wire. I do wish some paint styles would still hang around such as Mania's Red Horse, Bluegill, and Holoform Pike, and the old blue and white Depth Raiders. I think overall there's some good changes and vice versa.
Big Perc
Posted 2/24/2007 5:59 PM (#241250 - in reply to #241083)
Subject: RE: Are new and improved lures ever any better???

Depends on the lure...a Todd Cleveland phantom is hands down better than an Odysey one (my bro has one I would kill for)...an M-9 is hands down better than a new one...depthraiders have changed for the better and worse depending on your liking...it all depends on your personal preference...

Big Perc
sworrall
Posted 2/25/2007 10:12 PM (#241477 - in reply to #241250)
Subject: RE: Are new and improved lures ever any better???

Improvements are good. Otherwise, they would be improvements. Changes, on the other hand, can go either way. The lure builder will know quick enough if a change is not working.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)