Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A sucker has a brain the size of a match head, and even THEY know when their --- is in big trouble" Steve Worrall
- (Added by: esoxaddict)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Lure Painting....I really suck at it!

Message Subject: Lure Painting....I really suck at it!
saintmark
Posted 1/29/2007 8:44 PM (#234918)
Subject: Lure Painting....I really suck at it!

I see some fantastic paint jobs on these lures! But I always ask where did the michelangleos and the rembrandts learn to do that?? Is there a book, video, cd, bvd,beta, or cave painting that I can learn from. I'm not a lure seller but a lure tinkerer! I know my lakes and the forage in them. Hey I can paint black or a white lure, but the patterns seem to mystify me! I got the bodies down, the weighting, sanding, cutting, and final coating. But a "wood" color lure just isn't right! Any help please! Thanks StM
woodieb8
Posted 1/29/2007 8:57 PM (#234920 - in reply to #234918)
Subject: RE: Lure Painting....I really suck at it!

you could try tackleunderground. or pick up a book for colors.. there are primary colors and then shades can be created from there.
danny
Posted 1/29/2007 9:00 PM (#234921 - in reply to #234918)

sometimes it is. I've got lures that have only spots of paint and they still hunt. I've seen many bone colored lures catch fish. I understand the paint thing though I can't do it either
RiverMan
Posted 1/29/2007 11:58 PM (#234956 - in reply to #234918)

Make sure the lure surface is very smooth and nice before you start painting. If you start out with a good surface it will make a big difference in the end. Then try painting something very simple.....just two colors, white body black head, red body white head, etc. Look through the magazines and find a couple of examples that you like and then try to dupicate them. If you make a mistake, just go over to the sink and wash the paint off and start again. Use water based paints so you can remove them if need be. Get comfortable with the air brush........it takes time but you can get quite good at it if you stay with it.

RM
T-Bone
Posted 1/30/2007 5:37 AM (#234962 - in reply to #234918)

Hey, Im no expert, I have been tinkering with lure for about 2 years and my paint jobs are looking better, especially comparing them to my first works of "art". I believe for most people it takes alot of practice. Keep it simple at first and you will get better at it.
muskynightmare
Posted 1/30/2007 7:18 AM (#234969 - in reply to #234918)

Yeah, use Createx (water based) and practice on scrap. You will get it eventually.
fatfingers
Posted 1/30/2007 8:20 AM (#234985 - in reply to #234918)

You might consider practicing on flat surface first and on scrap wood which you've prepared and primed.

Maybe try just simple fading of one color over another. Then try making stencils and spraying those over the fades.

It can be frustrating trying anything new over a lure that you've spent a lot of time cutting, shaping, carving, sanding, priming, etc.
Musky Snax
Posted 1/30/2007 12:12 PM (#235042 - in reply to #234918)

I agree that it's a great idea to practice on a flat surface first. I've spent countless hours spraying lines and dots and wiggly shapes just to get better. Also try raising or lowering the airbrushes pressure to give more control.

Tackleunderground is an amazing place to ask questions and get help. It's also a good place to browse many styles of baits besides musky ones to get the creative juices flowing. Using stencils made from any clear plastic will also give you some excellent results if used correctly.

Good luck, have fun with it and please post them for us to enjoy.

Edited by Musky Snax 1/30/2007 12:12 PM
saintmark
Posted 1/30/2007 2:53 PM (#235082 - in reply to #234918)

Mr. Snax.....I've seen your lures and website. Booonnnnnggggggg! Those are masterpieces worthy of the Louvre. Perhaps we should start a new museum dedicated to the musky arts..... the Muskie Louvre. Where art lovers and intellecuals can study the art works of Snax, rembrandt, and squirelly burt!
Yes, more practice is needed. My goal is a bluegill. I've tried a couple of time and they appear more like a picaso then a bluegill! Thanks for the help! I'll keep swinging. StM
PS...can you buy pike green paint, muskie gray, or walleye gold!!

Edited by saintmark 1/30/2007 2:55 PM
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/30/2007 3:22 PM (#235091 - in reply to #235082)

I am by no means good at painting. I use a base color and start from there with stencils, cut outs, neting, etc. My biggest f-ups at the start of this madness was using WAY tooooo much paint!!! Remember, less is better!!!!!!! You can always give her another hit of paint but it is very hard to remove it

James
Musky Snax
Posted 1/30/2007 3:24 PM (#235094 - in reply to #235091)

Great tip Grunt. That's actually key in doing the kind of painting that I do.
Learning to mix your own colors is important and something I'm still trying to get better at.
saintmark
Posted 2/1/2007 9:41 AM (#235500 - in reply to #235094)

Mr Snax....A questions?? I've been seeing more and more lures with side fins on them. I've looked at the photos and was wondering are the fins decals or painted on. I've looked around on the net for fin decals but no luck! Just wondering. StM
Musky Snax
Posted 2/1/2007 9:52 AM (#235504 - in reply to #234918)

The fins on my baits are painted on using several individual steps. First design a stencil (or ten!) out of a clear thin material. I use mylar. Spray the fin color through the stencil. Next I take a fine pencil and draw on the spines. This can also be done with the airbrush if you feel like a challenge! Then I add the shadow under the fins by freehand airbrushing a transparent gray. Now I add little white highlights to really make them pop and look more three dimensional.

All the level of detailing Ido is absolutely not neccessary for the baits to catch fish. Basic proven contrasting patterns are all you need.
I take things to the level I do as an artistic expression but the basis of why they catch fish is that I tune each and every bait personally before I sell it. The paint jobs are only cosmetic for the most part. That being said, I do believe that in some situations, having your lure look more realistic can help when targeting lure shy,heavilly pressured fish.
saintmark
Posted 2/1/2007 10:20 AM (#235512 - in reply to #234918)

Exactly....As you said it!

I do believe that in some situations, having your lure look more realistic can help when targeting lure shy,heavilly pressured fish.

Thats why I'm trying to improve my natural looks! A thought....the experts say fish see black and white then shades of gray! I've thought of painting lures to match that theory. Your thoughts?? Thanks again for your respones. Have a great year, StM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)