Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Baitcasting Reels

Message Subject: Baitcasting Reels
Big Harv
Posted 8/10/2006 11:31 AM (#204467)
Subject: Baitcasting Reels

Hey Everyone,

I have a quick question I'm hoping to get help with. Being new to musky fishing I am finding it hard to throw larger baits with my spinning rod. I see many musky fisherman using baitcasting outfits and was wondering if this is the answer. I tried a baitcasting rod about 10 years ago and truely hated it....Losts or birdnests and I couldnt seem to cast it that far :p

Needless to say I am little timid to get another one. Do any of these reels cast as easily as a spincast or do they all knot up if you dont thumb them when your lure lands?

Any insight Appreciated

tuffy1
Posted 8/10/2006 12:12 PM (#204468 - in reply to #204467)
Subject: RE: Baitcasting Reels

They definitely cast better and easier than a spinning or spin cast. The key to not getting too many (no matter how long we've been doing it, we still get them) backlashes, is setting your reel properly. There is a tension knob on the reels that will slow down the speed of the spool. Basically what you do is, with a bait on the reel, press the freespool button and let the bait fall to the ground. Depending on how the tension knob is set, the line will either keep going, slow down or stop. (right out of the package, it will likely be set loose.) Then all you have to do is set the tension until the bait slowly falls. When it hits the ground, the spool should stop. This is the best way to start out, as even if you forget to put your thumb back on the reel to stop the line at the end of the cast, you won't have the spool going mach 10 and get a backlash. Then as you get more comfortable casting them, you can loosen the tension to get more distance on your cast.

Musky baits are typically heavy and don't require a ton of effort to get them to sail. This means that you don't have to over do the cast, which will lead to fewer backlashes.

Hope this helps. Kinda tough to describe on line.
tuffy1
Posted 8/10/2006 12:13 PM (#204469 - in reply to #204467)

Oh yeah, and for the money, the Abu Garcia 6500s are probably one of the better all around well priced reels out there. Lots of guys using them.
Big Harv
Posted 8/10/2006 12:28 PM (#204472 - in reply to #204469)

Thanks, that helps alot!! Ive got an old one out in the shed....time to go try out your trick!

=)
tuffy1
Posted 8/10/2006 2:46 PM (#204487 - in reply to #204467)

Good luck. It's not as tough as it seems. If you tighten it all the way down, then just start to loosen it, you'll be golden. It might not cast far at first, but as you get more comfortable and loosen it up a bit, you'll be shooting those suckers half way to Montana.
danny
Posted 1/14/2007 8:25 AM (#232103 - in reply to #204467)

kudos to tuffy 1 someone who knows what they are doing
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)