Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Undertakers and Spinnerbait boxes?

Message Subject: Undertakers and Spinnerbait boxes?
musky-skunk
Posted 1/8/2007 12:59 PM (#230749)
Subject: Undertakers and Spinnerbait boxes?

Two questions:

1. I bought a Blue River Undertaker and although I personally didn't care for the action, I ended up buying 5 more becouse I am a sucker for an awsome paint job. They are currently being used as an office decoration. I am wondering if that is were they should remain or if some of you know a certain way to work them so they have a good action? Nothing against Blue River, its probably just me becouse I have the same problems with reef hawgs (own 6 also) which are a classic musky getter.

2. I made a pvc spinnerbait box that worked for a long time but is currently overloaded. Does plano or somebody make a musky size spinnerbait box? I know Lake Wood does, and I like as well as own lakewood products, just looking for something else in this instance.
Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/8/2007 2:46 PM (#230792 - in reply to #230749)
Subject: RE: Undertakers and Spinnerbait boxes?

I have over 50 Undertakers. Some are from when Bryan was building them, most are from when his dad built them for years(Blue River) and now TNT owns the company.

The most critical part when using the Undertaker and Reef Hawg to some extent is the "tap, tap, tap" you need to do. A hard twitch will get the bait to pop to the top of the water. A easy tap, tap, tap will get it to glide side to side. Do not work it hard, it's an easy bait to work and the Spring fish will eat it up when it is worked slow. The hang time between taps is the key. Sometimes I will tap, pause, tap, tap, pause, tap...... You have to test the fish to see the mood. Smetimes you can work them fast and get reaction strikes, catch me is you can strikes.

Best way to learn is to put on the most visable color and watch it go side to side, feel the rod taps and line drag so you can do it with your eyes closed(after dark). Once you get the feel you will be able to do more with this lure. I love the Undertaker, great bait, catches big fish on the average.

When you get a follow that will not commit you can tap it harder and get that bait to pop up and down to change up the action to get a strike. I will be glad to help you learn the tricks that make this lure work for you.
Schuler
Posted 1/8/2007 3:26 PM (#230806 - in reply to #230749)

Good advice on the Undertaker. Very light taps. You can't work it the same as a hellhound. But once you figure it out, its an awesome bait.
A-ROZ
Posted 1/8/2007 3:41 PM (#230812 - in reply to #230749)

Another thing to consider instead of getting a box for you spinnerbaits would be to try out a bailey pac in the spinnerbait model. I used one of those for my spinnerbaits last year, and I have to say that I was very impressed with it. Folds flat for easy storage, the material helps to absorb some of the water off of your baits so the hooks don't rust, and it even floats. It's a great way to store your spinnerbaits.

Check it out at: www.baileypac.com
musky-skunk
Posted 1/9/2007 10:06 AM (#231054 - in reply to #230749)

Thanks for the replies, those baily boxes are an interesting concept to look into. I am going to give the ol' undertaker a second chance by going to the local creek and working the bait until I get it right. I think my problem is that I've only tried it while on the water actually fishing so my patience has been short, and also becouse I try and work it like the manta or hellhound.

Short taps it is from here on out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)