Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Replacing lip on 10" Jake

Message Subject: Replacing lip on 10" Jake
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/3/2007 10:33 PM (#229853)
Subject: Replacing lip on 10" Jake

I've got two Jakes that the lips broke off.

I'm going to order replacements.

Anyone know size they are?

What's the best way to get the remaining plastic out of the groove?

What's the best way to adhere the new ones?

Thanks!
scott24
Posted 1/4/2007 1:44 PM (#229953 - in reply to #229853)
Subject: RE: Replacing lip on 10" Jake

<p>I know of an instance where a friend mailed two Jakes with broken lips back to Musky Mania and they replaced them w/o cost.  I'd suggest you try that.</p>
jdsplasher
Posted 1/4/2007 6:17 PM (#230018 - in reply to #229953)

<p>I've had a lip fall out of a Jake. Sent it back to the manufacturer, and never heard from them again. Raw Deal heh! If your getting new lips, I would super glue them in.</p><p>Good luck!!!</p>
A-ROZ
Posted 1/4/2007 6:52 PM (#230027 - in reply to #229853)

just ask for new lips from Drifter, you should get them for nothing
AWH
Posted 1/5/2007 8:20 AM (#230097 - in reply to #229853)

As was mentioned, Drifter will send you replacement lips for free. Just give them a call or send them an email. As far as getting the remaining plastic out, I tried and couldn't do it. Drifter gave me some suggestions (which I can no longer remember) but I was unsuccessful. They asked me to send in the baits, which I did, and they replaced them at no cost.

On a side note, in order for them to replace the baits they need to be in decent condition (other than the defective part, of course). If they're relatively new, they'll replace them. But they're no longer replacing the very used baits. This is a new policy that they've adopted recently. I'm actually surprised that they didn't go to this sooner, as I'm sure it has cost them a lot of money replacing baits that have seen years and years of hard use.

Hawg Seekers' Ultimate Glue System would be the best way to go on securing a new lip.

Aaron

Edited by AWH 1/5/2007 8:28 AM
A-ROZ
Posted 1/6/2007 4:28 PM (#230410 - in reply to #229853)

I've replaced two Jake lips. Instead of trying to get the broken plastic part out of the bait, I just took a hacksaw and chopped that part off the new replacement lip and epoxied the lip in there. As long as you use a sufficient amount of epoxy and the lip is pretty straight then you should have no problems with the durability or action of the bait. Might take a little tuning to get the bait back in working order, but usually is not too bad.
curleytail
Posted 1/7/2007 1:16 PM (#230526 - in reply to #229853)

I have never done it, but this is what I would try if I needed to. I have a dremel tool that came with a very small/thin attachment bit for it. It pretty much a small, smooth rod with a little ball with teeth at the end. It would easily fit into the the space of the lip on a Jake, and I'm sure would take care of the old lip easily. If you don't have one, could you just hack saw the old one out, and maybe find a small file to clean it up??? Like I said, I haven't had to do it, so there might be more to itthan what I am thinking.

curleytail
Cowboyhannah
Posted 1/7/2007 10:21 PM (#230635 - in reply to #229853)

Great ideas, thankx!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)