Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> digital cameras

Message Subject: digital cameras
Raider150
Posted 10/4/2006 2:39 PM (#212621)
Subject: digital cameras

what kind do you use? do you have a hard time seeing viewfinder picture in bright sunlight? Was thinking about getting one. all info is appreciated.
BNelson
Posted 10/4/2006 2:46 PM (#212622 - in reply to #212621)
Subject: RE: digital cameras

I would recommend a Pentax Optio WPi...yah, the viewfinder is hard to see in the sunlight but you learn to deal with it...the nice thing about this camera is it is Waterproof! you don't have to worry about it getting wet...you can even submerse it up to 3 feet without it getting fried...I have taken a few release pics where I stuck the camera in the water and took the pic! was a bit nervous the 1st time I did that but it did it without a problem...
If you get one and are a serious musky fishermen Id get one that is water proof or at the very least water resistant..I know a few different manufacturers make some models like that...
the Pentax is very nice, small and has 6.1 megapixels..more than enough and it's easy to use...

http://www.pentaximaging.com/products/product_details/digital_camer...

Edited by MSKY HNR 10/4/2006 2:48 PM
Magruter
Posted 10/4/2006 3:05 PM (#212629 - in reply to #212621)

I used a panasonic for the past 5 years now, back in the day it was a top of line 3.2 megapixel. It's still going strong today! But if you looking for cheap and effective:
http://www.amazon.com/Photosmart-Digital-Camera-Optical-Printer/dp/...
Keep an eye on this, the bundle was 130 with 30 mail in rebate a couple of days ago, i've heard they might get more back in stock.

I'll keep my eye open. If you find a camera let me know i'll see if i can find it cheaper.
sorenson
Posted 10/4/2006 4:08 PM (#212653 - in reply to #212621)

Gotta second the Pentax Optio series. I have a W20 now ('new and improved' version of the WPi), I have no idea what the functional differences are, but they are now 7.0 megapixels and have a capability to use and read cards bigger than are currently manufactured (how does that work???). And they dropped the price 30 bucks. Pretty good image stabilization, but no optical viewfinder - what's on the screen is what you get. With polarized glasses that can sometimes be a bit of a challenge. Under water pics are a possibility, but so far few that I have taken w/ it have turned out very good. Water proof, a flash, and a timer - that's the features that I look for in a fishing camera, well maybe some sort of an alarm system that reminds you that it's not in the truck before you get out the driveway...
So far, it seems to have pretty good battery life, although I don't think there's anyway I could possibly fill a card (1GB; SD cards) on a single charge. I like the SD cards as that's also the mapping card my graph uses, and just in case of an emergency card need, I happen to have a couple of maps that may get re-formatted...haven't needed to try that yet though. The camera also has a small onboard memory that will store about 10 pictures w/o a card.
S.
BNelson
Posted 10/4/2006 4:12 PM (#212654 - in reply to #212621)

very true Sorno...my optio is a great camera! I want to try an underwater release shot this fall in ultraclear water...I think that would be cool

take a look on Ebay for these cameras..often times you can find the best prices from sellers on ebay....

that is where i got mine with a 1gb card etc...the battery life so far has been great..one tip though if it's cold keep the camera in a pocket close to your body (inside bibs pocket) as that seems to help the battery in cold temps...
kevin
Posted 10/4/2006 4:22 PM (#212660 - in reply to #212621)

Olympus Stylus 400 and 410.. both are 4MP, main difference being the 410 can record sound on the video when in that mode.. Both are Water Resistant
lambeau
Posted 10/4/2006 6:09 PM (#212688 - in reply to #212621)

whatever kind you get, try to buy the one with the best optical lens you can afford.

digital zoom is a sucker move. your pictures will only ever be as good as the lens you're using to take them. digital zoom can get you close but you lose resolution. this means when you print out that picture as an 8x10 for the wall, it looks all fuzzy.
look for a camera with good optical zoom, rather than digital zoom only. you need to have a quality original to get a quality print or cropped/enlarged picture.

i'm partial to the Olympus C-765 UltraZoom, 10x optical zoom (1:2.8-3.7) but "only" 4 megapixels.
it costs more, but guess what? it'll way outperform most cameras that rely on digital zoom.

my next camera will probably be a digital SLR, for the same reasons. more features than a "snapshot" camera, and it gives you the ability to get quality interchangeable optical zoom lenses.

here's a handy guide to help choose something that fits your needs:
http://cameras.about.com/cs/choosingacamera/a/megapixels.htm
MN Jackpot
Posted 10/4/2006 6:44 PM (#212693 - in reply to #212621)

Hey Guys,
I've been thinking about getting a digital camra. I'm curious what is the going rate for one
of these camras.
lambeau
Posted 10/4/2006 10:12 PM (#212734 - in reply to #212693)

I've been thinking about getting a digital camra. I'm curious what is the going rate for one
of these camras.

hey brent,
click the link in my post above, and it'll take you to an "about.com" article that describes features of various digital cameras, and the average price range you can expect to pay to get them.
MuskieMedic
Posted 10/5/2006 1:29 AM (#212757 - in reply to #212621)

I have a Nikon Cool Pix 8700 8.0 mega pixel that I really like. It has most of the features of a SLR and very user friendly.
Magruter
Posted 10/5/2006 7:38 AM (#212777 - in reply to #212621)

Thought these were pretty cool. Not a bad idea if you are fishing by yourself.
For canon: EOS Elan II/Elan IIe, EOS Elan, EOS 10S, and EOS IX
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Wireless-Remote-Control-Digital/dp/B000...

For Nikon D70, N65, N75, F65, Pronea S, Nuvis S, Lite Touch 110s, and 130 ED cameras
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Wireless-Control-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00...
muskihntr
Posted 10/5/2006 7:40 AM (#212778 - in reply to #212621)

ive been using the olympus stylus 400 for the last 3 seasons and its great..the rechargable batts last a long time. it takes great pics! i think it was around 300 bucks at the time.
bn
Posted 10/5/2006 7:41 AM (#212779 - in reply to #212621)

not a bad idea...but most if not all new cameras have a self timer...some you can adjust to set at different settings of how long before the picture is taken...i fish solo alot so I have gotten quite good at taking pics solo...it is very easy to put the camera on self timer and take pics solo...put camera on a flat surface or get a cheap $30 tri pod at Target...

sworrall
Posted 10/5/2006 9:08 AM (#212799 - in reply to #212779)

Nikon D50 SLR Digital. I have a the 18 to 55 lens that came with the camera, plus a set of Sigma lenses that are 17 to 70 and 55 to 200. I use a Pelican csae that also carries my Mini DV Video camera. The case is totally waterproof, so no worries with the weather when I have the camera in the boat.
RiverMan
Posted 10/5/2006 10:12 AM (#212808 - in reply to #212621)

I bought a Pentax WPI and am very happy with it. The WPI means (water proof something)......it can be used to take photos down to a few meters. I mostly wanted the waterproof feature so that I didn't have to worry about it on rainy/wet/snowy days. The camera is 6 megapix. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a viewfinder, all pics must be taken by looking at the digital screen. The screen can be hard to see when the sun is real bright....look for a camera with both a viewfinder and screen.

jed v.
Raider150
Posted 10/5/2006 11:47 AM (#212827 - in reply to #212621)

WOW So much info. Thanks a bunch
muskihntr
Posted 10/6/2006 3:35 PM (#213081 - in reply to #212621)

for takin pics by yourself these scope mounts work great on your windshield or anything you can clamp too!

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=49675&hvar...
johnson
Posted 10/12/2006 5:22 PM (#214402 - in reply to #212621)

I have a SVP mega 8 that I got off ebay for 250.00... I shoots video with sound I can switch from 4 to 8 megapixel and its an mp3 player.. Silicon Valley Peripherals or something like that.. Great camera and great in screen options for editing... I love the screen and at night it uses a wierd light to illuminate the picture so you can see what your shooting..

Derrys
Posted 10/15/2006 5:56 AM (#214811 - in reply to #212621)

I use a Nikon D50 DSLR with various lenses. A Circular Polarizer filter works like polarized sunglasses to take the glare off the water. I'd recommend one if your camera can use them. The Fuji F-10 won awards for being a great point and shoot camera. I also like the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20. Nice zoom on it.
Manta18
Posted 10/22/2006 12:34 AM (#216265 - in reply to #212621)

I use a Olympus CAMEDIA, 5.0 megapixels, 3X Optical zoom, and movie mode with sound. I got it for about 200 bucks at a local Target store. Takes great pictures and has a timer on it for those ever important self shots. Great camera for the price.
Reef Hawg
Posted 10/25/2006 4:12 PM (#217006 - in reply to #212621)

Great thread. I've been told it is time to get into the digital age. I am glad to hear people who've had good luck with the Olympus digitals. I love my stylus epic film job, with the Carl Zeiss lens. Takes(in my opinion) better pics than my buddies N70 set on auto mode. Does one get to a point with megapixels where more really doesn't help? What is the least amount I need for general photography, and occasional blowups to 8X12?

Thanks
Greg S
Posted 10/27/2006 12:14 PM (#217390 - in reply to #212621)

I use an Olympus Stylus 710. It is 7.1 mega pixel and it is weather proof. It is a small, thin camera, but it still has a 2.5" viewing screen. It also has a timer. I use a spotting scope window clamp to put the camera on, and clamp it to my windshield and use the timer when I am fishing alone and actually catch a fish I want a picture of.
willeysbucktails
Posted 12/20/2006 10:09 AM (#226709 - in reply to #212621)

bought a cannon power shot sd 630 last week, gladly accepting pm's on ease of operation, settings, etc, thanks, jw
lambeau
Posted 12/20/2006 10:18 AM (#226713 - in reply to #212621)

with the coming baby i've been looking into digital video cameras.
what i've found is that many of them come with ~20x optical zoom (critical!) and have the ability to take digital still photos as well as video.
most are reasonably priced (+/-), depending on options, image stabilization, and lens quality.
does anyone have any experience using something like this as a dual-purpose video and photo camera? it seems like an efficient way to cover more than one need.
Bytor
Posted 12/20/2006 11:00 AM (#226724 - in reply to #212621)

This camera would be great in the boat...nice price.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1190
Bytor
Posted 12/20/2006 2:38 PM (#226764 - in reply to #212621)

I totally agree with you Packer Stadium guy.....but for taking pics in the boat of fish 3x is good enough. We are all not accredited photographers like this Mike Winter character. If you are a picture taker you would want more zoom but for fish pics in the boat it would work great. I wish I had a water proof one just like it. $100 is a lot to some people.

Edited by Bytor 12/20/2006 2:39 PM
lambeau
Posted 12/20/2006 2:57 PM (#226770 - in reply to #226724)

This camera would be great in the boat...nice price.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1190

welllll, i'll get on back up on my zoom quality soapbox...

they advertise it as "15x zoom" which seems impressive at first, but if you click the specifications tab on the link you'll see something different.
it's only got a 3x optical lens paired with a 5x digital zoom.
all that digital zoom does is make your picture bigger, at the cost of lower resolution.
look for a camera with a powerful optical zoom if you want to retain picture clarity when you start cropping, enlarging, and printing.

you can find cameras with much better optical zoom (~10x) for only slightly more money.
for example, this one from the same camera family is only $100 more, but has a 10x optical with 5x digital zoom ("50x effective") and it also has the capability of add-on wide-angle or telephoto lenses.
http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1189
imho, you'll be extremely happy you invested the extra cash in how good the pictures turn out.
lambeau
Posted 12/20/2006 3:03 PM (#226771 - in reply to #226764)

I totally agree with you Packer Stadium guy.....but for taking pics in the boat of fish 3x is good enough. We are all not accredited photographers like this Mike Winter character. If you are a picture taker you would want more zoom but for fish pics in the boat it would work great. I wish I had a water proof one just like it. $100 is a lot to some people.

i used to subscribe to the "snapshots of fish" approach too.
then i realized i wasn't catching all that many fish, and there was a ton of other stuff i wanted good photos of.

let me put it this way: within your budget get the most possible optical zoom. even the fish pictures from up close will turn out better. there are GOOD optical lenses available in the $250-$300 range. $100 is absolutely a lot of money...but so is 5 muskie lures. the better camera will reward you more than the extra lures will.
even if it's just "snapshots" when you get that fish of a lifetime (and actually have your camera along), you'll want the better resolution for getting an enlargement printed out.
Reef Hawg unplugged
Posted 12/20/2006 6:02 PM (#226812 - in reply to #212621)

Mike, I love my Sony hc21 video camera, though the still shots are marginal quality at best. I'd bet there are better ones that have come along since i bought mine, but I didn't buy it for the still shot featue and do not plan to use it, thoug I do 'freeze' it on occasion when I have a cool image that we want to talk through. I do like the 20X optical zoom feature on the video camera, but I like my non zoom camera best for the boat bar none. I have had the zoom jobs, and the straight up point and shoot has been best....soo... I'd stick with the 3x optical and look for the best quality lens when buying for the boat.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)