Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> problem with my Calcutta

Message Subject: problem with my Calcutta
ManitouDan
Posted 12/12/2006 9:55 PM (#225180)
Subject: problem with my Calcutta

At the end of a cast as I stop reeling and go into a fig 8 , my reel sometimes lets out line , does'nt do it every time , but about 1 in 8-10 cast it does. The interesting thing is either last winter or 2 winters ago the reel was doing the same thing, I sent to a dealer in Louisville Ky and he cleaned it, sent it back w/o replacing any parts and it seemed to work fine . until now. Is this a popular thing with calcutta 400's ? MD
Posted 12/12/2006 11:28 PM (#225188 - in reply to #225180)
Subject: RE: problem with my Calcutta

no calcuttas are the best musky reel you can buy. send it to shimano and they will figure out the problem and replace any parts needed
esox50
Posted 12/13/2006 12:18 AM (#225191 - in reply to #225180)

Have them do a thorough "check-up." My older models have had some issues with the reel not wanting to engage after disengaging. I wish I knew how to take these puppies apart, would save a lot of time and money. Takes a while to get your reels back...
sworrall
Posted 12/13/2006 1:34 AM (#225196 - in reply to #225191)

The anti reverse bearing sometimes will 'slip' in cold weather no matter the reel brand, only to work flawlessly again in warmer temps.
Fishwizard
Posted 12/13/2006 1:57 AM (#225198 - in reply to #225180)

Steve,
Apparently my reply wasn't within the guidelines, I appologize. My anti-reverse bearing slipping occured many times in weather that couldn't exactly be described as cold, but definitely seemed to be most problematic when it was. Do you know of any way to prevent or over come this issue, short of heating your reels periodically? I never experienced this problem in the first few years on my reels, and the anti-reverse bearings were all new last spring. Having reels that I could only use in warm weather is sort of rididulous, so I'd appreciate any ideas as to how to fix this issue.

Ryan
jazon
Posted 12/13/2006 7:35 AM (#225207 - in reply to #225180)

Had this happen to two of my Calcutta's. I talked to the shimano rep at a sport show and he told me to send them in for repair. He told me however to make sure to send them in to Shimano for the repair not someone else because they were aware of the problem and they would take care of it. Sent them in and had them back before the start of the next season. Here is the url. for Shimano's repair service. http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/fish/sac/us/en/customer_ser... Hope this helps Jay
Pikopath
Posted 12/13/2006 8:55 AM (#225224 - in reply to #225198)

I'm not Steve, but Ill answer anyway.
We've had this problem with a couple of Abu's this "winter", the grease in the IAR bearing was old and crappy or to thick. What I do (Abus are probably easier to fiddle with than Shimanos..) I opened the reel, cleaned out the old grease in the IAR bearing, mixed up some grease with some oil, and relubed the IAR, and now it works fine (Some new and fresh grease will probably do).
The temp when this happened was around 50f, which is not too cold, pretty warm actually, considering that we're in mid December soon
I use my Abu's flawlessly for icefishing too. The reel that the IAR slipped, was never used, and had been stored for over a year without being used, so I suspect the grease had gone bad.

Michael
Reef Hawg
Posted 12/13/2006 2:39 PM (#225294 - in reply to #225180)

I have had the same issues with mine in all seasons. I noticed the same thing with my Diawa cvx when I got it, and it got cold, and my friend Shane Mason told me to use a lighter grease. Bino, problem fixed. I couldn't fix the Shimano the same way, so I just send them in when it starts to happen again. They always come back working like new again, albeit sometimes not for a very long time... Shimano must have close to, if not the best service record in the industry. They are always helpful, willing to listen and explain potential remedies, and do top notch work.

Edited by Reef Hawg 12/13/2006 2:39 PM
Fruits
Posted 12/13/2006 2:54 PM (#225297 - in reply to #225180)

I have had similar problems. I take my reels to Minnetonka Marine. The repair guy there and owner used to do the repairs for Hayes Bait and tackle in Mpls before it closed. I may be misquoting a bit but he stated that the bearings sleeves on the calcuta's are plastic and tend to wear out. He also said it is about the only cheap thing they do with the reel; he couldn't understand why, just that part. Ambasedeurs, evidently, use a metal bearing sleeve that doesn't wear nearly as fast. I have had those sleeves replaced on my caluta's a few times and need to again. At least it is usually for a good reason, lots of catches! If you can't replace them any time soon or before season, just remember to keep a good thumb grip on the spool anytime you try setting the hook. I have gotten better at this.
THROWINWOOD
Posted 12/13/2006 3:40 PM (#225307 - in reply to #225180)

All 3 of mine slip on the 8 from time to time ,had them cleaned and serviced by a shimano rep. and they still do it . Thanks for the link ,time to send em back to the factory.

Happy Holidays

Dave
jlong
Posted 12/13/2006 4:41 PM (#225320 - in reply to #225307)

Anyone want to buy my Calcutta 400 that slips? I'm sick of dealing with the cold weather issues and sending it in for "repair".

Make an offer......
Fishwizard
Posted 12/13/2006 5:23 PM (#225324 - in reply to #225180)

If this is really a problem that will come and go for the rest of the time I own the reels, then I'll probably be ditching mine as well. If the IAB is going to slip when ever it feels like it, then the reels don't hold alot of value with me either. I didn't pay for premium reels to have intermittent serious mechanical flaws with them. Has anyone had this problem and has overcome it without problems on a long term basis?

sworrall
Posted 12/13/2006 5:26 PM (#225325 - in reply to #225324)

Then sell your reel, and buy another brand. The original question was what to do, who to contact, etc. not an open invitation to bash a product or bitch about it. Either way, complaining here won't get anything done for you, talk to the service center and resolve your problems or sell the reel.
esox masq
Posted 12/13/2006 7:08 PM (#225340 - in reply to #225180)

Clean the ARB with brake cleaner, then lube it with a couple drops of Quantum Hot Sauce. That stuff works wonders on reels used in the cold.
lambeau
Posted 12/13/2006 9:26 PM (#225364 - in reply to #225180)

in cold weather (such as 18 degrees with wind on closing day this year) i've had IAR slip on reels of all kinds: a couple Abus, a Daiwa Luna, a Shimano Calcutta, and this year it was my Calcutta TE whereas the Abu held it's ground nicely.
i hardly think it's a design problem or something unique to a certain brand. i think it's a cold problem. the designs aren't made with those conditions in mind because fishing is primarily a fair-weather sport.
when one starts slipping i put it in the rod locker for awhile and use something else that isn't froze up yet. or i troll. or i go home because it's too dang cold outside. (ok, i don't actually ever do that last one...) it's an issue you've got to overcome if you're going to stay out and try to cast when it's below freezing.
could the engineers design something that would hold up? i assume so...probably a good thing to write the company about and ask them to do. ie., do something more productive than saying "this brand stinks".
i've never had a problem like that in above-freezing temperatures with any reel.
Posted 12/13/2006 9:33 PM (#225366 - in reply to #225180)

When sent back to the Shimano company direct do they charge for the cleanings/repairs ? I'm not good at anything other than the good ole 5500C3 . I better not try to do myself. MD
lambeau
Posted 12/13/2006 9:42 PM (#225370 - in reply to #225180)

yes, but it's not very expensive. i sent a Calcutta in last year that was in pretty sad shape and they replaced everything (everything!) except the frame. i think it cost me $20. i thought that was a pretty good deal... the higher cost reels have better service/warranty plans; you can expect to pay more for lower end reels.
i just sent all my Shimanos in yesterday.
go to their website and click the "repair" tab and print out the page to send in with your reels.
Posted 12/13/2006 11:18 PM (#225388 - in reply to #225364)

lambeau - 12/13/2006 9:26 PM

in cold weather (such as 18 degrees with wind on closing day this year) i've had IAR slip on reels of all kinds: a couple Abus, a Daiwa Luna, a Shimano Calcutta, and this year it was my Calcutta TE

If your Calcutta TE slips, then there’s a problem with both the “Super Stopper” IAR bearing as well as the “Assist Stopper” mechanism!

http://tinyurl.com/tztwc

bigbrit
Posted 12/15/2006 8:44 PM (#225896 - in reply to #225180)

i use four of them on a regular basis, i use them a ton just before freeze up. All of them had done this at some point until i discovered leaving them in a garage or outside over-night was the culprit. I just brought my rod/reels in the heat of the places i stay at and havent had a problem with it since. just keeping them warm before i headed out made the difference
Rick
Posted 12/16/2006 1:39 AM (#225969 - in reply to #225180)

Don't go with Daiwa expecting anything different. I have a cvz 300 that does the same thing...warm or cold weather...Sent it to daiwa twice...it worked for a few weeks then started backing up again on me...took it to Chuck Brod in Mosinee....he loaded it with white lightening lithium grease...three weeks and it backed up again....He gave me some grease and I repacked it several times to get it working again, but never more than a few weeks worth would it work....

Called daiwa last week....they're taking it in to have the research and development department look at it and are sending me a Luna as a replacement. Glad to hear customer service isnot dead....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)